As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Obama's first (not really) State of the Union - Texts in OP

werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Tonight Obama will give his first State of the Union address, though due to tradition we don't call it that immediately after the inauguration (it's still the same speech, in the same place, to the same crowd, with the same coverage and response from the opposition party).

The speech will be at 9 pm EST on all the major channels and streaming in the usual places (CNN, MSNBC, and CSPAN tend to be favorites). Speech time will run 50-60 minutes, with a 15 minute response from Gov Jindal of Louisiana.

So far there haven't been many hints as to the substance of Obama's speech, though the general assumption is that he'll use it as an opportunity to re-enforce the case for the stimulus, lay groundwork for the overhaul of the financial sector, and build the rhetorical case for the budget he is unveiling on Thursday, which will focus on cutting the deficit in half by the end of his first term and healthcare reform to stabilize the fiscal outlook in the US. Released excerpts of Jindal's response can be found here, the main idea seems to be standard republican talking points when they're in the minority (government is too big, cut taxes, etc).

The FOLLOW UP
Total standing ovations by my count: 40 unanimous, 2 Democrat only/majority

Text of Obama's Speech
Text of Jindal's response

werehippy on

• ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    So the question on my mind and on several other people's appears to be: Is this really going to be a State of the Union? Or more of a "Fate of the Union"? Scare-the-hell-out-of the Union.

With the way things are right now. Not much optimism is expected. A grim tone in Washington.

Obs on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Punditry desperately attempting to fill in the time with mindless chatter in the meantime

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    So the question on my mind and on several other people's appears to be: Is this really going to be a State of the Union? Or more of a "Fate of the Union"? Scare-the-hell-out-of the Union.

With the way things are right now. Not much optimism is expected. A grim tone in Washington.

Yeah, Obama isn't known for his optimism.

:|

Nocturne on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've got an over under on 23 standing ovations throughout.

moniker on
  • kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I heard it is going to be a Reagan-esque speech. What that exactly means I'm not sure, but BBC has assured me it will be Reagan-esque. I guess in that sense it'll be more optimistic than bleak; which obama's speeches have been the past few weeks.

kevindee on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Well, we tried two years of the president and Treasury insisting the "economy was fundamentally sound" and that no one was experiencing any difficulties in the face of all possible evidence, I think we can go more than a month of honestly facing reality before we start worry if we've going over board on bringing people down. And it doesn't help we've got a minority party who literally doesn't have a plan beyond step 1) opposing everything the majority is doing and a distant step 2) do the same thing that cause the problems in the first place but harder.

werehippy on
    edited February 2009
    kevindee wrote: »
    I heard it is going to be a Reagan-esque speech. What that exactly means I'm not sure, but BBC has assured me it will be Reagan-esque. I guess in that sense it'll be more optimistic than bleak; which obama's speeches have been the past few weeks.

"Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem!"
    ba_obama08_pajh.jpg

Obs on
    edited February 2009

Why do you keep misquoting your idol?

moniker on
    edited February 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Revisionist history.

Obs on
  • kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If the speech does turn out to be incredibly depressing, this game might alleviate the pain somewhat:

Wonkette drinking game rules:

* “This will not be easy.” — One sullen slurp.
    * “Challenging times.” — Try to drink from the side of your mouth without spilling.
    * “Bipartisan” or “bipartisanship.” — One shot, feel up somebody else’s girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse.
    * “Same old politics” and/or “politics as usual.” — Two quick gulps.
    * “Played by the rules.” — Ask somebody to get you another drink and then drink their drink while they’re in the kitchen.
    * “Recovery.” — One hit off your beverage. (You should have spares at hand.)
    * “Recovery.com” — Three drinks and punch anybody in the room who sort of looks like Biden.
    * “Resolve.” — Take a shot.
    * Camera stops on various “opposition” figures such as Cantor: If you’re male, do a line of meth and try to get another “straight” guy to blow you in the bathroom.
    * “Discipline.” — Take a very careful shot.
    * Camera stops on Hero Pilot “Andrew” Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger III: Women and children take a drink, men go outside and have a smoke.
    * “Breaking ground.” — One manly gulp.
    * “Infrastructure.” — Two sips and check the fridge for supplies.
    * Any mention of the Taliban: Put a “burqa” (pillowcase) over the heads of any women and gaily drink with your male friends.
    * “Aggressive action.” — Chug a beer or glass of wine.
    * Any variation of “best days are ahead.” — Finish all the booze in the house, weep.

kevindee on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've got an over under on 23 standing ovations throughout.

Count me in on the under

Marathon on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I find it interesting that Jindal is giving the opposition speech.

Guess he's officially being groomed.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Groomed for being the sacrificial lamb.

Obs on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Don't ever change, Obs.

Hachface on
    edited February 2009

Revisionist history.

When you fail to learn the lessons of history you fuck everyone else in the ass as we all repeat it. This isn't the 1980's. Any true Conservative or Reagan-Republican would realize that.

In any event it's going to be ~3 parts dour, ~2 parts optimistic, 1 part pie. Nobody wants a Pollyanna President, we had that with Bush and it didn't end well. At the same time he isn't going to point out the malaise in the country without trying to talk people out of it.

moniker on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    Don't ever change, Obs.

as if he could

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He doesn't need to be chipper he needs to be steady. People want to know someones in fucking charge thats all

nexuscrawler on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jindal wrote:
    You wouldn't ask your children for a loan to spend money you don't have on things you don't need. That's what the democrats have just done.

They're looking to him as the new face of the party, some sources say.

But it's the same brain, the same talking points.

Delzhand on
    edited February 2009
    It's going to be so weird seeing Biden and Pelosi over his shoulders during it. I'm hoping for a few of these
    070201_JoeBiden_vl_widec.jpg

moniker on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Biden be crackin wise about my momma!

nexuscrawler on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If the speech does turn out to be incredibly depressing, this game might alleviate the pain somewhat:

Wonkette drinking game rules:

* “This will not be easy.” — One sullen slurp.
    * “Challenging times.” — Try to drink from the side of your mouth without spilling.
    * “Bipartisan” or “bipartisanship.” — One shot, feel up somebody else’s girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse.
    * “Same old politics” and/or “politics as usual.” — Two quick gulps.
    * “Played by the rules.” — Ask somebody to get you another drink and then drink their drink while they’re in the kitchen.
    * “Recovery.” — One hit off your beverage. (You should have spares at hand.)
    * “Recovery.com” — Three drinks and punch anybody in the room who sort of looks like Biden.
    * “Resolve.” — Take a shot.
    * Camera stops on various “opposition” figures such as Cantor: If you’re male, do a line of meth and try to get another “straight” guy to blow you in the bathroom.
    * “Discipline.” — Take a very careful shot.
    * Camera stops on Hero Pilot “Andrew” Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger III: Women and children take a drink, men go outside and have a smoke.
    * “Breaking ground.” — One manly gulp.
    * “Infrastructure.” — Two sips and check the fridge for supplies.
    * Any mention of the Taliban: Put a “burqa” (pillowcase) over the heads of any women and gaily drink with your male friends.
    * “Aggressive action.” — Chug a beer or glass of wine.
    * Any variation of “best days are ahead.” — Finish all the booze in the house, weep.
    ahahaha :^:

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    edited February 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Jindal wrote:
    You wouldn't ask your children for a loan to spend money you don't have on things you don't need. That's what the democrats have just done.

You could have found a better quote though really. I mean, the money we're spending on all this shit is going to be paid back by the children eventually.

Obs on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Jindal wrote:

You could have found a better quote though really. I mean, the money we're spending on all this shit is going to be paid back by the children eventually.

You apparently know about as much about economics as you do about anything else. Look up the concept of investment, for instance, or "human capital." Those are good starting points.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

It'll be paid down until it's a manageable portion of the GDP, but really the U.S. is going to just revolve the debt forever.

edit: and it can because it is immortal and lending to the U.S. government remains the safest investment possible.

Hachface on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Maybe we should figure out how many of the children actually give a shit. Let the College Republicans take up the torch and complain about how much money they're going to be paying back, and then I'll deck 'em.

Sarksus on
    edited February 2009
    Jindal wrote:

I'd ask my kids for a loan if we were both immortal and legally obliged to coin our own currency.

moniker on
    edited February 2009
    Hachface wrote: »

It'll be paid down until it's a manageable portion of the GDP, but really the U.S. is going to just revolve the debt forever.

edit: and it can because it is immortal and lending to the U.S. government remains the safest investment possible.

IT IS AN IMMORTAL, IT HAS INSIDE IT BLOOD OF KINGS

Also, I was quoting from memory. The line I really wanted was "blah blah he'll grow the government, increase taxes, etc..."

Delzhand on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Jindal wrote:

I'd ask my kids for a loan if we were both immortal and legally obliged to coin our own currency.

There's also the fact that Repubs are suggesting quitting your job when your kids can't eat as it is.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It'll be hopefully realistic, Jindal's response will be wingnutty.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited February 2009

Hopefully. It'll be an introduction to the national stage in a setting of his choosing. A lot is going to ride on this, and if he comes across as reasonable and, well, sane it's gong to be beneficial for him. Especially in terms of stumping nationally for seats in 2010. If he goes all Rush Limbaugh on it then I can't see it helping outside of 'real' America.

moniker on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He could always pull a Sebelius and flop hard.

werehippy on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Hopefully. It'll be an introduction to the national stage in a setting of his choosing. A lot is going to ride on this, and if he comes across as reasonable and, well, sane it's gong to be beneficial for him. Especially in terms of stumping nationally for seats in 2010. If he goes all Rush Limbaugh on it then I can't see it helping outside of 'real' America.

The excerpts are wingnutty.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited February 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    He could always pull a Sebelius and flop hard.

She didn't flop. I remember there being a very interesting roaring fire in the background of her response.

Jindal's going to be shooting for a Jim Webb response, but he doesn't have the same kind of unquestioned authority on economic matters (or foreign policy for that matter) as Webb had for military in order to effectively respond to a Bush SotU. It'll probably be middling to bad, but then that's what I'm hoping for.

moniker on
    edited February 2009
    Also, I would not be able to stop laughing if Pelosi shows up wearing anything even remotely resembling Mardi Gras beads.

moniker on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wonder what the viewership'll be.

No-Quarter on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do we know which cabinet member drew the short straw for the speech and has to sit it out?

Tomanta on
    edited February 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Do we know which cabinet member drew the short straw for the speech and has to sit it out?

Commerce :P

moniker on
    edited February 2009
    You know, you D&D'ers spoil me. The CNN window I've got open for the speech has a sidebar connected to Facebook. The level of discourse, even among Obama supporters, is...

well...

I closed the sidebar.

Delzhand on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Angry pragmatist professor Obama is the best Obama, and I hope he lays it on tonight.

MKR on
    edited February 2009
    What if Jindal's response blows you guys away?

Of course I don't plan on voting for him either way, but.. who knows

Obs on