As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can I mix FSB speeds? Is it worth it?

Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark isworth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
Can I put a socket775 Core2Duo 1333FSB chip in a mobo with a 1066 FSB? Would there be any point, or would the mobos slower FSB throttle the chip?

Donovan Puppyfucker on

• andkoreandkore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What are the CPU and motherboard models? After doing some quick research it would appear that the FSB difference itself would not be a problem (yeah, it would slow down the CPU a bit), but the main thing is to see if the motherboard supports the specific CPU series.

andkore on
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    -Groucho Marx
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well I've already got an E6300 in my Asus P5B-VM mobo (the p.c. is about two years old). I was just wondering if I could upgrade to an E8600 or if an E7500 was pretty much the best I could do.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited February 2009
    Damn... according to this, you can't upgrade to either of those :(. But you could upgrade to a Q6600 or Q6700, both of which are quite respectable processors.

andkore on
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    -Groucho Marx
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh. Okay, thank you very much!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited February 2009
    I was just wondering if it was worth upgrading the processor for playing Fallout 3. I'm going from a 256MB 7300 GT to a 1GB 9600GT and upgrading from 1 to 3GB of ram. I'm not sure if Fallout 3 really needs more than 2 cores?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited February 2009
    Ehhh, you scare me when you say 1GB 9600GT. Can you link the price/where you're going to buy it? I'm prettty sure that a 1GB 9600GT is not gonna be the best use of your money... I'll do some research. How much do you want to spend on the video card?

andkore on
    -Groucho Marx
    edited February 2009
    I'm in Australia. The card I'm looking at: http://www.megabuy.com.au/galaxy-geforce-9600gt-pci-e-p88407.html

I was looking at around the $150 mark for the card, the extra 2 gigs of RAM is $45, and shipping will get it all to my door for $210.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited February 2009
    Here's something which might help you decide about the processor thing.

Something I found on a forum post
    I'll put it this way, I can max the game on my e4600 and an 8800gt at 1600 x 1200 with 4x AA and it's still smooth as butter. Just jack everything up and see what happens.
    Hmm I thought (because of the numbers) that your processor was better than the E4600, but it's slightly worse. Your processor meets the CPU recommended requirements, so I'm thinking you'll probably be OK...
    What you could do is get a new graphics card and see what the performance is like, and then based on that, decide whether or not to upgrade the processor. I'm thinking you'll be OK with the E6300, but I'd have to do more research to be completely sure...

andkore on
    -Groucho Marx
    edited February 2009
    Thank you so much for your help! Did you have a look at the video card? It seems alright to me.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited February 2009
    Is the price on that card in Australian dollars? (Yeah, I'm a USA-tard who knows nothing about how the rest of the world operates...). If so, that price ain't bad. If it's in USD, then I think you can do better... For instance, in the US, you can get a 4830 for $82 USD with shipping. The 4830 is a better card than the 9600GT 1GB. So it would kinda blow to pay $150 for a card that's worse than a $82 (if the price is in USD). Hell, I don't know what shipping prices are, but I could buy this card and mail it to you, and have you pay me when you got it. Yeah you could totally scam me, but whatever... anyways.

andkore on
    -Groucho Marx
    edited February 2009
    BTW, if you want to know just how much better the 4830 is, look at these links: #1 #2

andkore on
    -Groucho Marx
    edited February 2009
    BTW, what type of RAM are you looking to get (I mean obviously it's DDR2, but DDR2-800, or DDR2-667, or what?). Here in Glorious Kazak-- I mean the USA, it can be had for around $20, (well $17 is the best price). BTW the prices I've been saying are with rebates but those are easy as hell...

andkore on
    -Groucho Marx
    edited February 2009
    The card I listed is around $100 in USD. Hey if I could get Newegg to deliver to me I'd buy everything from them.

Seeing as I'll be running the card in 1280x1024, what kind of specs should I actually be looking for? I want everything set to maximum, and an average frame rate around the mid 50s, preferably not dropping below low 40s.

If 1GB of RAM will give no real performance icrease over 512MB, then I can save $20 right there.

RAM? Kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G. That's two more of the exact same 667 MHz 1GB sticks I've already got in my machine.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited February 2009
    OK, well $45 AUD isn't bad for 2GBs of RAM... Like I said, I think you'll be OK with the processor. Refer to this thread. That dude has the same CPU, and when you upgrade you'll have a better graphics card and 1GB more RAM.

One final anecdotal piece.
    I play on the PC. My entire machine is nothing remotely new; think the specs of your average $500 Dell desktop with an 8800GTS 320MB video card (E6300, 4GB). I run it at medium settings on my 24" display, and even my friend who plays on the 360 commented on how awesome it looks on my computer.
    Considering that that dude runs it on medium with a huge resolution (75% more pixels than your resolution), and your graphics card will be a bit better, I think it's pretty safe to say you'll be able to max it out. Sorry I haven't been able to find more solid research, but it's a bit hard to find stuff about new games running on old-ish computers.

To me it seems that the only decisions really are: what graphics card you get, do you get more RAM or not, and where do you buy this stuff. (Since it seem that your CPU is fine...).

Sorry I'm not writing this stuff in the most coherent manner... I'm getting a little tired :/

Honestly, I think it would be pretty cool for you to get the 4830, taking up my offer to buy the card and mail it to you. That's by far your best deal for a graphics card. The RAM isn't much different in price (assuming its $45 AUD for both 1GB sticks combined...). BTW, I'd say just get the RAM without agonizing about if it's worth it, especially since it can be had for under $20 USD. It will increase performance and it doesn't cost a ton, so it's a bit silly to agonize about it. I just put it under the questions above because it is technically something that you could go either way on.

andkore on
    -Groucho Marx
    edited February 2009
    Wait fuck it. That's a good deal, the graphics card. I'm an idiot. I even said that if it's in AUD that it's a good deal earlier before, but I forgot. Fuck...

andkore on
    -Groucho Marx
    edited February 2009
    God, I really need to go do something else... brainz is frying... To summarize, I think you should just buy that graphics card and the RAM, and be done. Sorry I succeeded in wasting a bunch of your time. I think the only thing I helped you determine was not to get a new processor. lol, anyways, peace.

andkore on
    -Groucho Marx
    edited February 2009
    I really appreciate all your help. Thank you so so much!

Go get some sleep... And have a great week.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would get a Radeon 4830 before I got a 9600GT. Shop around on some AU websites and compare prices on that one to the 9600GT.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    Welp I just took the sidecover off the case to take some measurements to see what will fit, and I can't find a six pin power lead from the power supply for a video card. The 7300 GT in there now isn't using a power lead at all. There are a couple of spare 4 pin plugs, one small and two large, but no six pin jobbies.

Am I fucked?

Am I gonna have to shell out another $100+ on a new power supply?

Also, the stock Intel heatsink and cooler fan on the CPU is totally clogged with dust. Fan is still spinnin', but the heatsink is a solid grey lump... So much for "Keep it clean babe"...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You can snag molex (the 4 pin type that powers HD's) to 6 pin converters (takes two and puts 'em into one,) if your PSU can handle the load you'll be fine doing it that way.

Ego on
    Erik
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What is your PSU brand and wattage?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    The PSU is a 'SUN PRO' (no-name brand) 430 watt p.o.s.

Picture: Image002-1.jpg

The connectors I am asking about: Image001-1-1.jpg

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You should be OK with a 9600GT, 400W is recommended so unless your PSU is underperforming things should work out.

Ego on
    Erik
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That first connector is 4-pin molex. As said, if you have two free, you can use an adaptor. The smaller connector is for use with some hard drives and pretty much nothing else.

What is the amperage rating on the +12v line? If it is terribly low, it may not run it. Wattage is not the only thing that matters.

MrMonroe on
    edited February 2009
    I've only got one +12v, and it's rated at 17 amps. The website (Galaxy) of the video card I'm looking at says it wants 26 amps out of the +12v supply. I've found a nice Antec PSU that has two +12v rails, one rated at 17 amps and the other at 16 amps, and a 6 pin PCI-e connector for the card as well.

I do have two 4 pin Molex connectors spare, but I don't know if the PSU could drive the card.

Just means the upgrade goes from being $210 to $330 (shipping costs included).

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited February 2009
    The smaller connector is for use with some hard drives and pretty much nothing else.
    Well, technically those are for floppy drives.
    The website (Galaxy) of the video card I'm looking at says it wants 26 amps out of the +12v supply.
    That shit is just ridiculous. Bear in mind that I'm no electrical engineer, but... by P=VI, that would mean that the video card alone is taking 312 watts. Entire computers systems can suck up less power than that... Honestly I think you should be fine with your current PSU. At least give it a shot before you go out and buy a new one... I'm pretty sure you can't really do any harm by trying a power supply on a system that's trying to suck more power than it can provide, but of course refer to my preamble disclaimer :P.

OK, refer to this and this. And realize that that's TOTAL power consumption, not just for the video card.

andkore on
    -Groucho Marx
    edited February 2009
    Oh sweet. So I should just be able to stuff two of those Molex conectors into an adaptor and have at it?

Good news is good news.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited February 2009
    Yep.

andkore on
    -Groucho Marx