As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Game Of Thrones [IC]

AsherAsher Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Critical Failures
DAERON

The Great Hall rang with the clamour of many voices and King Daeron was pleased. As pipers played and singers sang, he looked out over the sea of faces and smiled. Blond Haired Lannisters engaged Salty Dornishmen, while rugged Northmen from beyond the Neck exchanged pleasantries with Tyrells of the reach. For the first time since The Conqueror had landed on the shores of Westeros the seven Kingdoms were one and it was he, Daeron, the Second of his name who had achieved it. Not through conquest as his namesake, the Young Dragon had attempted but through marriage. Some of his blood had derided him for breaking the decades long Targaryen tradition of marrying brother to sister but he had known that an alliance by royal marriage was the only way to bring Dorne into his domain and truly unite the seven kingdoms. He smiled at his Dornish wife, Myriah who had supported him for so many years, borne him many sons, and worked as hard as he had to integrate Dorne into the Seven Kingdoms and shared her warm smile.

"We have done well, have we not?"
She took his hand.
"Of course we have. When my brother first told me of your proposal I thought that one of you must be mad."
He squeezed her hand and laughed, turning to look to his right where Prince Maron Martell sat in his place of honour, Daeron's sister by his side. Prince Maron returned Daeron's grin with a rueful smile of his own.
"It was only a matter of time before Dorne could no long lead an independent existence. Better that it be done through peaceful means than through bloodshed. Besides, none can say that we have not raised a fine family!"
He gestured down the high table to where the scions of House Targyen and House Martell were laughing and boasting among themselves. Once more Daeron smiled. He had brought peace and prosperity to the Seven Kingdoms, his Kingdoms and had raised a family that any father would be proud to call his own. Winter was years away and the Granaries were overflowing. Such wealth and bounty allowed him to be generous. Outside the Red Keep he knew that the commoners were enjoying revelries as indulgent by their standards as those that were taking place in the great hall were to the nobility of Westeros. The Captain of his Guard had told him that whole pigs and sheep were being roasted in the streets of Kings Landing and whole troupes of Mummers were performing. Great pavilions were being erected outside the walls of the city and the lists were being constructed. Soon a great tournament would be held and nights and nobles from all across the realm would compete against one another for both prizes and honours, all in honour of Daeron's Grandson, Prince Valarr. The boy would be 15 on the morrow and Daeron had insisted that the first of the Grandchildren to reach manhood would be given a celebration worthy of his position as a Prince of the Realm.
Daeron rose to his feet and held out his arms.
"MY LORDS!"
The clamour lurched as conversation was interrupted and musicians ceased mid note.
"My Lords of Westeros!
A huge cheer rose from thr throats of a half a thousand agin Lords, Lordlings, Ladies, Knights and attendants.
"Daeron!" The cry came back
"King Daeron! Daeron the Good! Prince Valarr!"
A rhythmic thump grew in the hall as Lord Lyonel Baratheon lead the Lords in slamming tankards of ale down on the table over and over again.
"King Daeron! Prince Valarr! House Targaryen!"
Daeron smiled, contented in the love of his lords and held up his arms again for silence. Slowly the chanting died.

"My Lords! We truly live in a time that has been blessed by the Seven! Our enemies are vanquished, Blackfyre and Bittersteel slain, their armies driven from our lands by the efforts of my son Baelor and my Brother Brynden. They will trouble us no longer! Now we can return to a time of peace, raise our children and teach them the lessons we have paid for in blood!"

Another raucous cheer rose from the assembled throng. The defeat of the blackfyre pretenders was still fresh in the minds of the populace, many having lost sons, brothers and friends to the rebels. Daeron spied his bastard brother, that men called the Bloodraven lurking in the shadows at the back of the hall, glowing from the one eye that had survived his confrontation with Bittersteel. As Hand his rightful place was at the high table by Daerons right hand, but his brother had never been one for festivities.

"We are here to celebrate the coming of age of Prince Valarr!"

He flung out his hand to gesture to the boy and yet another cheer rose, this time from his relations who dragged him to his feet and present him for the approval of the court. The boy, no, the man, Daeron corrected himself, seemed someone worse for the effects of wine but he rose to occasion quickly, thanking the assembled Lords for their kind words and their gifts. As Prince Valarr returned to his seat, Daeron continued.

"These blessed time will not last. As our friend Lord Stark will surely remind us, winter is coming. We must prepare and make sure that we do not grow fat and complacent in these rich times. Keep your swords sharpened and your skills honed! Teach your Children the arts of war and of peace so that they may defend what is theirs! Treat with your smallfolk so that love but still respect you! May your houses last a thousand years more!"

As he returned to his chair, and enormous roar overtook the hall as Lords took to their feet toasting and shouting cheering. As the normal hubbub of conversation returned and the Pipers started to play again Daeron poured himself another glass of wine to the horror of his servants and took a large gulp. If Baelor ruled, and Valarr ruled after him, then House Targaryen would endure ten thousand years. He was satisfied.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
Asher on

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    William settled back in his chair and sipped his wine. He wasn't one for much talk, but he could see the King gave a fine speech. He looked over to his son, Simon, and saw him chatting up a serving wench. William snorted, that was typical of his flatterer of a son.

While settling back to his meal, he caught a glance of Edwyn Tully, and instantly his mood soured. William was not pleased, not pleased at all, with Tully's presence here. He would have to control himself while in the King's presence.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Disinterested, Valyn shifts in his chair uncomfortably like a child forced by his parents to attend a ceremony or ritual they are disinterested but have not yet learned the capability to feign grace. The wine nor the food seem to hold any interest for him, they almost sicken him. The dining almost seemed like a false pretense serving as a segway to under-table affairs,allegiances, and gods know what else..

Were it not for the insistence of Edwyn Tully, Lord Blackwood wouldn't even likely be here.... Although in the back of his mind, he realizes even if it weren't for that- he would have regardless for the sake of his father's memory.

He catches Lord Stark's quick glance at Lord Tully, and becomes a bit alarmed for a moment....but then returns to his lethargic state.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    William turned to Tybolt Lannister, who was sitting near him.

"A fine speech. I take it you will be participating in the tourney tomorrow? I heard of your feats at the last one, and I am eager to see how you fare on this field."

William didn't add that he had also heard rumors of Tybolt's unsavory methods of victory.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tybolt turns to William with a grin and a clap on the shoulder and replies,

"Who would want to miss a tournament such as this? There hasn't been an assembling of so many in ages! Is there a chance we might face each other in the lists? I have a feeling your son over there might not exactly be up to the challenge."

He gestures toward Simon with that last comment, grins, and finishes his wine glass.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    William grimaced. He didn't like to be reminded of his son all that often.

"I'm afraid I must agree, the boy seems more at ease with a pen then with a sword. Still, there's hope for him yet." He turned around to Lord Flint, "Don't you agree?"

William cast a glance over the entire room, everyone appeared to be enjoying themselves. Everyone, that is, save for him. He didn't like such displays, he thought they were often a waste and the money involved could be better spent preparing for the coming winter. And winter was always coming.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    SloSlo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Orrel has already polished off his 9th pint of strong ale, and is groggily muttering about the superiority of the dornish people, with a mouth full of roast chicken.

His eyes are polished and glazed, and nobody nearby seems able to make out what he's saying, or they just dont care.

*Buuuuuurp!*

Slo on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Absolutely, my lord!" Edmund said, too loudly for someone sitting so closely. "If you but give me a few years with that boy, I'll have him hardened into a man you could be proud of! He's got his father's stuff to him!"

"And you, my Lord Lannister, you can be sure that even the most...reserved Northman is more than a match for these soft Southron knights."

Edmund waved for the nearest servant and held his empty glass in the air. Well on his way to getting drunk, he continued to shout raucously to the others around the table.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Brother," Arthur said, turning to his right, "I believe I shall go teach the art of peace, if I may have your leave?" Standing, the youngest Arryn tucked his hand behind has back and offered a small bow to his eldest brother. Harry nodded, hiding a slight smile behind his cup.

Straightening his back, Arthur smiled and looked past regal brother. "To you, brother," he said, raising his glass and nodding at the man sitting on Harry's right, "may the Seven Kingdoms cheer your name and proclaim Thomas Arryn champion of the Tourney."

Stepping back, Arthur politely excused himself from the rest of the table. "The music has started and I believe I saw a striking Baratheon lass earlier during dinner. Good evening, Lords. Ladies."

Turning quickly, Arthur disappeared into the shadows and curtains behind the table and made his way down to the lower floor where a number of couples had already started to rise to the music.

LaOs on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Well, Lord Flint, we will have to see that claim tested in the tournament! I'm sure we Southrons will be able to give you a good fight, what with your frozen joints and all."

Tybolt chuckles, excuses himself, and heads off to find a new source of entertainment.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Simon is laying it on thick with the serving wench, milking her for gossip from the royal court while appearing to be doing nothing of the sort. And if he gets a chance to abscond with her to a secluded closet for some special attention, well who'd notice amidst all the goings on right now anyway?

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    William once again looked over to his son, got angry once again, and stood up. He needed some fresh air, this atmosphere was incredibly stifling. He strode purposefully over to the Targaryen table, and stopped before His Highness, "Congratulations, sire. Your son has turned into a fine man and is sure to do your house honor."

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lord Damon Lannister listened politely to the speech before excusing himself to the ballroom. As he left the dining area, he found his son Tybolt and muttered "Try not to antagonize the Starks too much. Some good-natured boasting is only to be expected, but relations with them are strained enough without you bringing up their son." Attempting a small smile, he added, "Of course, more subtle jibes are wholly supported." Giving his son a fond clap on the shoulder, he made his way to the ballroom.

Having been widowed 5 years ago and still retaining much of his handsome features (not to mention his social status), Damon was a popular dance partner. He hadn't found sufficient political justification for marrying any of the women who had thrown themselves at him in the past years, but since the passing of his wife, he had discovered in himself a curious taste for dancing. Not to mention, finding a good dancing partner often led to more private activity after the ceremony...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The King was evidently too embroiled in the festivities to respond to William, so he went off to the ballroom to see what was afoot there. On his way he ran into Lord Lannister,
    "I hope you are enjoying the festivities? I talked to your son earlier, and he seemed especially eager for the tourney tomorrow. I take it you are participating as well?"

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As the floor was cleared for the dance, the various musicians assembled, ready to play many of the perennial dancing favourites while noblemen and women from all across the realm made their way to to the floor. While many of them had already secured partners, there were many nobles, young and old that were still unattached.

As be made his way through the crowd Arthur caught sight of the Baratheon Lady he had spied earlier. It appeared he was in luck as she had no possessive looking lord hanging from her arm.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Slipping through the crowd, offering his hand and smile to those who paused to greet him, Arthur spied one of his favourite minstrels setting up with a number of other finely garbed men. It was good to see that Sabastian had made the cut for the feast--Arthur would be hard-pressed to name even more player who could rival his skill with a wide variety of stringed instruments.

Chuckling softly to himself, Arthur turned from the finely-garbed musicians and scanned the crowed. "Ah," he said softly, "she is unaccompanied. That simply will not do." Stepping quickly, Arthur smoothly crossed the open floor and greeted the young Baratheon. "My lady, would you be so kind as to grace me with this first dance?"

LaOs on