As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

40k Battle Report - Daemonhunters vs. Chaos (NSF56k)

EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited February 2007 in Critical Failures
[size=+2]Typhoid Manny (Chaos)
mike.jpg

VS.

JamSessionEin (Daemonhunters)
adam.jpg

1500 points[/size]

Sit down, and allow me to regale you with tales of the bloody battle on the Crossroads!

The presence of chaos was strong in the region - the daemonic incursion had begun and the Grey Knights answered the call.

[size=+2]C H A O S[/size]
HQ - Chaos Lord w/ Daemonic Stature, Daemonic light, Daemonic Strength, Daemonic Toughness, 2 CCWs, Frag Grenades

HQ - Chaos Lieutenant w/ Daemonic Flight, Lightning Claw Pair

ELITE - 4 Chosen w/ Aspiring Champion x4, Daemonic Flight x4, Power Weapon x4. (Used as Lt.'s Retinue)

TROOPS - 10 Marines w/ Aspiring Champion, Power Fist, Frags, Mark of Chaos United

TROOPS - 10 Marines w/ Aspiring Champion, Power Fist, Frags, Mark of Chaos United

TROOPS - 10 Marines w/ Autocannon, Plasmagun

FAST - 10 FURIES

FAST - 10 FURIES

HEAVY - Dreadnought w/ Plasmacannon, Mutated Hull

HEAVY - Predator w/ Autocannon, Side-sponson Heavy Bolters, Mutated Hull

[size=+2]D A E M O N H U N T E R S[/size]
HQ - Grey Knights Grand Master with Psycannon and Sacred Incense.

ELITES - 5 Grey Knight Terminators w/ one Psycannon

ELITES - Ordo Malleus Inquisitor with Psycannon, 2 Sage Henchmen, Two Heavy Bolter Servitors, One Plasma Servitor, One Acolyte in

Artificer Armor.

TROOPS - 9 Grey Knights in Power Armor with Grey Knight Justicar

TROOPS - 9 Grey Knights in Power Armor with Grey Knight Justicar

TROOPS - 10 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers w/ 2 Plasma Guns

TROOPS - 10 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers w/ 2 Melta Guns

HEAVY - Grey Knights Dreadnought with Twin-Linked Lascannon and Missile Launcher

HEAVY - Grey Knights Dreadnought with Assault Cannon, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon, Stormbolters, and Smoke Launchers.

The lines were drawn and the two sides faced eachother over the Crossroads.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

[size=+2]T U R N 1[/size]

The Daemonhunters made the first move, advancing up the center of the board to meet the Chaos incursion head-on.

4.jpg

Bringing guns to bear, they opened fire, but Chaos prevailed against the stormbolters, taunting their loyalist opponents. Only two of the chaos

marines fell to the fire.

The Grey Knights dreadnought within range turned, bearing his Lascannon down on the enemy Dreadnought, and with a clean shot destroyed the

tainted walker.

5.jpg

Chaos surged forward in response.

6.jpg

7.jpg

The Predator bore down on the Inquisitor and his retinue and swiftly eliminated two sages and an acolyte, the demonic powers steering the

vehicle savoring in the death and destruction.

8.jpg

(The remaining guardsmen in that group are proxy weapons servitors due to my lack of having the proper models. :) )

The chaos marines with the autocannon attempted to mow down the approaching Grey Knights, but fell prey to the blinding aura of the Shrouding,

and found themselves unable to shoot that turn. The remaining Grey Knight marines weathered the bolter fire without casualty.

[size=+2]T U R N 2[/size]

The Grey Knights pushed up their advance in the middle, their main concern resting in the huge Daemonic Chaos Lord.

9.jpg

As the stormbolters and psycannons bore down on the Chaos Lord, he simply laughed - of all the shots that had been sent his way from the Grey

Knight Terminators, the Grey Knights, and the Inquisitor, only one wound would be had.

The Grey Knight squad closest to the lord resigned themselves to their grim fate and drove into close combat with the daemon in an attempt to

vanquish the foe before they were overwhelmed by enemy assault.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Their attempts would prove to be fruitless - two of the Daemonhunters were lost to the assault without even so much as a scratch on the Chaos

Lord. Things looked grim for the Grey Knights!

12.jpg

What followed promised to be the of the bloodiest melees in the history of this small planet.

Chaos received reinforcements in the form of two squads of furies being summoned from reserves. These would prove to be one of the most daunting

units of the game, as they were able to sustain an endless attack - as soon as they were struck down, more would take their place. The predator

tank mowed down four of the Inquisitorial Storm Troopers.

13.jpg

All of the Chaos forces began to close in. The Chaos Lieutenant swept in and proceeded straight for the throat, charging towards the Grey Knight

Grand Master. The center squad of Grey Knights was swamped in a tide of Chaos, condemned to their doom, while the second squad of Grey Knights

steeled themselves for an assault by the Furies.

14.jpg

16.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

The Grand Master met the Lieutenant's challenge head-on, and after a fierce melee, the Grand Master had suffered two wounds. In return, his

force weapon had slain the Lieutenant outright. The terminator retinue suffered three losses, but was able to slay the remaining retinue. Having

defeated the charge, the Grey Knight Terminators pushed up into the main assault.

18.jpg

The grey knights in power armor were nothing before the might of the chaos charge - the daemonhunters were able to thin the numbers of the

furies and in doing so prevent themselves from being totally overrun. At the end of the combat, four Grey Knights remained, and though

outnumbered managed to hold without taking additional losses.

19.jpg

20.jpg

The other Grey Knights fared much better. The furies assaulting them were forced into swinging after the Daemonhunters, and as such had their

numbers thinned so significantly that the Grey Knights only sustained one loss.

21.jpg

[size=+2]T U R N 3[/size]

As the Chaos Marines pushed ruthlessly up the table edge, the Stormtrooper Squad was able to rapid-fire. In a show of completely improbable

luck, the two Plasma-bearing ISTs were able to rapid-fire without self-injury and hit with every shot, massively thinning the numbers of the

encroaching squad.

The two dreadnoughts, in a concerted effort, attempted to damage the Predator that threatened the other IST squad. Through one lucky shot, the

Predator's main weapon was disabled, leaving it with it's heavy bolters.

25.jpg

The Grey Knights pushed farther up into assault - the Terminators were able to destroy the remaining Furies in the middle before they caused any

additional losses, and gave the remaining Grey Knights in the middle a chance at combat.

22.jpg

The Grey Knights and Chaos Marines swung viciously at eachother, but each matched the attacks of the other, and no casualties would be had on

either side.

On the other end of the board, the Grey Knights annihilated their daemonic enemies and consolidated towards the remaining marines threatening

the Inquisitorial Stormtrooper squad.

23.jpg

The malevolent forces of Chaos were bolstered as the Furies, using Sustained Attack rules, re-entered from the table's edge and moved up, ready

to charge again. The Predator rolled up towards the body of the battle to get a better vantage point on the Stormtroopers it had been hammering

for the duration of the game.

24.jpg

26.jpg

The Chaos Lord swooped in and assaulted the Grey Knight Grand Master, threatening to overwhelm him and destroy the remaining terminators.

Ein on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    [size=+3]EPIC BATTLE ENSUES!!![/size]

awesome.jpg

When the smoke cleared, the Chaos Lord had been defeated, falling prey to the Grand Master's force weapon and forced waiting until after the Grand Master had delivered the blows to return his own attacks by the Master's Sacred Incense wargear.

27.jpg

The battle had decidedly turned in favor of the Grey Knights now, with both chaos HQs slain.

In the final parts of the assault, the Grey Knights faltered heavily. The center assault was left with a handful of Chaos Marines facing down a lone Justicar, who only barely survived the outnumbering wounds threatening him.

28.jpg

The Stormtroopers that had been gunning for the Chaos Marines closest to the edge began to quickly succumb to their assault after the charge, being as weak as the average guardsman at this point. As soon as the initial charge ended, they were resigned to a slow death in the turns that would follow.

29.jpg

[size=+2]T U R N 4[/size]

The Grey Knight Terminators charged up and helped the lone Justicar finish the assault against the center Chaos Marines, saving the Justicar from a certain death at the hands of a power fist (pun intended). The ISTs that had been at the mercy of the Predator the entire game finally got their revenge, as they unloaded with their Meltas at the tank.

30.jpg

Chaos brought their guns to bear on the Lascannon Dread, and the autocannon across the board cleanly removed the Lascannon, leaving it armed only with a Missile Launcher.

31.jpg

32.jpg

The furies engaged the Grey Knights again and were nearly wiped out as they struck last. Six of the furies died, while the Grey Knights lost only a single marine in the assault.

33.jpg

34.jpg

Meanwhile, the stormtroopers continued to fall. Only one was left standing at the end of the round's combat.

35.jpg

The re-summoned Furies from the main combat charged the Inquisitor and his retine and swiftly annihilated them all in assault.

36.jpg

[size=+2]T U R N 5[/size]

The Grey Knights engaged with the furies were able to destroy the rest of the squad - they, of course, would be back AGAIN due to the daemonic infestation that afforded them Sustained Assault rules.

The remaining furies in the middle swept in to destroy the Stormtrooper squad that had melta'd the Predator, and soundly annihilated them in the subsequent assault. They then stuck in with the Dreadnought on their consolidation, though they had no hope of harming it with their weapons, effectively tying it up.

37.jpg

Meanwhile, the other Grey Knight squad was dealing with an assault from the Chaos Marines closest to the table edge, who had finished tearing the Stormtrooper squad apart and consolidated into combat. The re-summoned Furies were fast on their heels, pushing into assault with their high mobility. The Grey Knights focused their attacks on the Furies to stem their losses, but the Power Fist in the Chaos Marine squad deftly dispatched a large number of the remaining Daemonhunters.

38.jpg

39.jpg

At the end of the combat, only one Grey Knight remained, and the forces of Chaos knew they would soon triumph over the emperor's finest.

40.jpg

[size=+2]T U R N 6[/size]

The Grey Knight Terminators and lone Justicar about-faced and proceeded to bear down on the as-of-yet untouched Chaos Marine squad. Stormbolter and Psycannon fire rained upon them with limited success, only slaying a single marine.

41.jpg

The lone marine left in close combat with the Chaos Marines fell to their tainted weapons, finally being overwhelmed by the never-ending stream of daemons. Though the autocannon Chaos Marine squad gunned at the Grey Knight Terminators, their efforts went unnoticed, the Terminators simply shrugging off the blows.

[size=+2]E N D G A M E[/size]

At the end of the game, the Daemonhunters had three terminators left, a single Justicar, one unharmed Dreadnought and one weapon down Dreadnought.

Chaos had a handful of furies (who, at this point, did not count for victory points, as they had been re-summoned a number of times), one chaos marine, and the autocannon marine squad, who had only take one wound the entire game.

42.jpg

Ein on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    A bit of postgame stuff from me:

I realize this batrep may be a bit slanted towards my point of view, as I am the one writing it. At no point do I claim to be a nonpartisan report writer. :D

Do not give me crap for having unpainted models. I will find you and kill you. :D Though I have to say flipping through all these pictures makes me want to paint my stuff up bad, so that'll be soon.

My opponent suggested that I won this game based largely on the dreadnoughts, as he had little aside from the Autocannon or Power Fists that could do any damage to them. It felt a lot more like a draw, because we literally just beat the shit out of eachother in assault in the middle for most of the game.

I got ridiculously lucky with the Grand Master's Force Weapon, as he basically one-shot both HQs. Had a lot of good saves, too.

It was a great game, in any case, and really intense when it came to those massive assaults. I still have no idea how those Grey Knights that got swamped in the middle made it as long as they did.

Ein on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    And I would've gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for you meddlin' inquisitors!

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hell yeah S6 force weapons!

And Typhoid Manny, that lieutenant model is kick ass.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I really want to put my Dark Angels army down on the table, but none of my friends play 40k. Though I did convince five of them to start up Fantasy, so my Cult of Slaanesh army is going to see some use.

Good show. :^:

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    And I would've gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for you meddlin' inquisitors!

Props for your Daemon lord and Lt.

The paint scheme on them is awesome.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Typhoid Manny has a really awesome beard.

Shorty on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Seriously, that shit is like Grizzly Adams meets Matisyahu.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Excellent report. Keep these coming.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    TDL wrote: »
    I really want to put my Dark Angels army down on the table, but none of my friends play 40k. Though I did convince five of them to start up Fantasy, so my Cult of Slaanesh army is going to see some use.

Good show. :^:

Cult of Slaanesh is so tasty.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dammit, now I'm starting to miss playing my Daemonhunters

Nobody on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Do not give me crap for having unpainted models. I will find you and kill you. :D Though I have to say flipping through all these pictures makes me want to paint my stuff up bad, so that'll be soon.
    What are you talking about? I couldn't see anything after the fourth picture, I think I was blinded by some mass of bright reflective silver. :P

Kidding, good report all around. And it makes me want to get a Daemon Lord just to convert.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Nobody wrote: »
    Dammit, now I'm starting to miss playing my Daemonhunters

Word. I really miss playing 40k sometimes, especially when these threads pop up.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Great report. Love to read these.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    (painted models roll better dice)

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Then how do you explain my marines' spectacularly bad CC rolls?

...or do they have to all be painted the same? Oh shit.

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    (painted models roll better dice)
    Not quite true; painted models roll statistically average dice. Bare metal rolls ones; they never run away, but they sure as fuck don't do anything else either...:rotate:

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    TDL wrote: »
    I really want to put my Dark Angels army down on the table, but none of my friends play 40k.

My problem exactly. I can't wait for GITS to go beta.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, apparently my dad caved in and bought the latest 40k codex, so maybe he'll start playing again and I can finally put this 400 dollar investment to use.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Interesting battle.

But,

um, someone didn't paint their army.

What's with that plate of half painted, half assembled Tyranid?

Some of those Chaos models are excellent

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is we gonna have to choke a bitch?

It looked like the 'nids were standing in for the furies.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    NOOOOO My mental image of Jam has been destroyed for all times.

Seriously though, that is the best formated battle report I've ever read. If only the stooges on Warseer would do their reports like this.

That reminds me, when I get home from class I'll find those parts for you Jam, and take pictures of them.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dude, c'mon, tell me that is not a mighty fine hat.

Gabriel_Pitt on