As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RCA/composite to VGA/DVI converter?

grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
I have an old 19" LCD monitor that I was thinking of replacing my current 19" POS TV with, since the TV doesn't really work. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a RCA to VGA converter so I can run my DVD player, Wii, and SNES through the monitor? Or any other recommendations on doing this (or not doing this) in general?

Quail is just hipster chicken
grungebox on

• Options
    andkoreandkore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well for starters, you could use a TV tuner.

andkore on
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    -Groucho Marx
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    andkore wrote: »

Most TV capture cards (either by tuner or by RCA input, which many have) introduce some horrible latency...not bad for watching TV, but for playing games? Blegh.

If you get a good one you might be fine, though. No idea which that would be, though.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    andkore wrote: »

Most TV capture cards (either by tuner or by RCA input, which many have) introduce some horrible latency...not bad for watching TV, but for playing games? Blegh.

If you get a good one you might be fine, though. No idea which that would be, though.

Usually that's the software, actually, and if you use something like DScaler instead of whatever crappy software shipped with your card, you should be fine, even with cheap-o generic cards.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Another disadvantage of using a TV tuner is that your computer has to be on to use the TV, which I can only imagine would be quite a pain. I guess there are some advantages though. You could use your computer as a DVR and you'd be able to use some cool software like MythTV perhaps.

andkore on
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    -Groucho Marx
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think he's referring to using a spare monitor, not the monitor from his computer.

As far as gaming on a computer monitor, I used my computer with a TV tuner to play my Gamecube for a few years and it was fine. It was an old Hauppage card.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    mrbernzmrbernz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I think he's referring to using a spare monitor, not the monitor from his computer.

As far as gaming on a computer monitor, I used my computer with a TV tuner to play my Gamecube for a few years and it was fine. It was an old Hauppage card.

Yeah, it's a spare. Just to clarify, I have an HTPC that runs my media software (GBPVR). I want to avoid having to use that as my input for the DVD player and Wii because
    1) that interrupts any recording I might be doing at the time (as I'd have to switch the input source)
    2) in my experience with my Gamecube the lag was still pretty bad. For rock band that'd be downright intolerable

the thing mrbernz recommends looks like it'd work, though. Thanks.

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    VGA Box, perhaps?

Nevermind. Teaches me to read the thread next time.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you haven't already bought that, you could save a few bucks if you buy it here.

andkore on
    -Groucho Marx
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Something like this? $2.04+shipping. I just bought one of these for my dad, so if you can wait a couple days I'll report back here with results.

TL DR on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Something like this? $2.04+shipping. I just bought one of these for my dad, so if you can wait a couple days I'll report back here with results.

That sends signal the wrong way - from a computer's VGA port to an s-video or RCA input. He wants to connect something with an s-video input to a monitor.

You're going to need a VGA box like the ones listed above. It may introduce lag though, and you'll need separate speakers and the cables to connect those obviously.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that won't work, it'll let you plug a vga source into a TV but won't go the other way. It's much easier to display a progressive scan source (like a computer's video signal) on an interlaced device like a TV than go the other way.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png