As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VH's Birthday [Chat]!

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Podly you didn't just say people actually have to justify their opinions to you

that's insufferably pompous

No, not to me. But I think that people THINK that they like something, when they really don't even like it. They just prefer to like it, and get outraged when people force them to confront themselves.

Basically, most people's actual identity is a void around which they oscillate suppositions and fantasies. They should confront that and become actual people.

i think you are misunderstanding the people in that thread

they genuinely like BNL; they just aren't sure why, or are unable to express it

when it comes to music, people often like what is familiar and comfortable (me included); some people like challenge, novelty, etc. it's like any art appreciation.

BNL is like any kind of pop music, it's familiar, comfortable, predictable for many people, and that's good for them. they enjoy it. it affirms them.

i don't like some bands that do weird rhythms because i can't get into a listening groove and internalize the rhythm. they're interesting and talented but i have zero interest in a song that doesn't have nice even rhythms. basically if i can't even attempt to dance to it i have little interest.

comparing that to the way i approach literature, i feel my musical taste is undeveloped or immature, but that's okay. those words have negative connotations but they shouldn't necessarily. not everyone can appreciate every art on every level. it would be exhausting.

Evil Multifarious on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This Zazen Boys track isn’t my thing, but the video’s cool.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
    edited February 2009
    I didn’t like Saint Dymphna, but I don’t recall why.

stilist on
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

No, not to me. But I think that people THINK that they like something, when they really don't even like it. They just prefer to like it, and get outraged when people force them to confront themselves.

Basically, most people's actual identity is a void around which they oscillate suppositions and fantasies. They should confront that and become actual people.

when it comes to music, people often like what is familiar and comfortable (me included); some people like challenge, novelty, etc. it's like any art appreciation.

BNL is like any kind of pop music, it's familiar, comfortable, predictable for many people, and that's good for them. they enjoy it. it affirms them.

i don't like some bands that do weird rhythms because i can't get into a listening groove and internalize the rhythm. they're interesting and talented but i have zero interest in a song that doesn't have nice even rhythms. basically if i can't even attempt to dance to it i have little interest.

comparing that to the way i approach literature, i feel my musical taste is undeveloped or immature, but that's okay. those words have negative connotations but they shouldn't necessarily. not everyone can appreciate every art on every level. it would be exhausting.

I hate even the idea that if a certain genre of music is appreciated by a snootier brand of person, than those who don't enjoy it should feel that they just must not be high-up enough to understand it. Their tastes aren't mature.

Awesome.

JamesKeenan on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Podly you are infuriating. I love you, though, and would like to coo you to sleep with classical Hebraic lullabyes.

Organichu on
    edited February 2009
    EM, trust me, you don't want to be like NMH -- Jeff Magnum, to be precise. I once had a conversation with a friend of close friend of his. Apparently Jeff records all this music and then has breakdowns about how sad the world is.

i don't want to be like him as a person (although i wish my last name was Magnum. Travis Magnum is a detective name if i ever fucking heard one).

i love his lyrics, voice, and instrumentation. apparently he performed a lot of venues without even using a mic because he had such mighty pipes. i wish i could sing like that. fuck i wish i could.

but yeah the dude is a bit messed up, or at least fragile. he's a melancholy poet kind of dude in the classic, stereotypical sense.

Evil Multifarious on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You know I understand the importance of spoiler tags, but if there's something I haven't finished yet, I wouldn't go into a thread about it.

DeShadowC on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2009

I think you've pretty much got it. And you're absolutely right, nobody can have fully developed taste in every arena of expression; it would take more time than there is in a day. And people don't deserve to be aggroed on because they like something safe and familiar - on the other hand, what I do hate is the reflexive hostility on the part of many people at the mere notion that it's possible to think about these things more deeply than "I like" or "I don't like".

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    Podly you are infuriating. I love you, though, and would like to coo you to sleep with classical Hebraic lullabyes.
    If I ever met Podly I would buy him a beer, and then probably break the bottle over his head the second he mentioned anything about art or philosophy.

Bama on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's Jeff Mangum, not Magnum.

Anyway EM I like your voice better than his so take that

deadonthestreet on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I disagree. For example, people often identify themselves by the things that they like, by the things which speak to them. What music would I pick to identify myself? My current self? Probably Brian Eno's Another Green World, David Bowie's Low, Smashing Pumpkin's Adore, Bill Evan's performance in Blue and Green, the moment after the pickup in Beethoven's Der Grosse Fugue. Do I have actual reasons for liking them? If you would like to get into a discussion of rationality, I can do that, but lets assume that I do -- that my liking this music, it's speaking-to-me, is a transcending element which binds fast my multiple selves.

Now try and do the same for BNL. I refuse to believe that someone could actually turn in upon their existence and say "well shit, yeah, BNL!" It has simply not been my experience in life. People live their lives in their interpellated egos and interpolate their existence in the gaps between what they suppose is true.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Soup.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    edited February 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    If I ever met Podly I would buy him a beer, and then probably break the bottle over his head the second he mentioned anything about art or philosophy.

This reflects my thoughts quite well.

Organichu on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I disagree. For example, people often identify themselves by the things that they like, by the things which speak to them. What music would I pick to identify myself? My current self? Probably Brian Eno's Another Green World, David Bowie's Low, Smashing Pumpkin's Adore, Bill Evan's performance in Blue and Green, the moment after the pickup in Beethoven's Der Grosse Fugue. Do I have actual reasons for liking them? If you would like to get into a discussion of rationality, I can do that, but lets assume that I do -- that my liking this music, it's speaking-to-me, is a transcending element which binds fast my multiple selves.

Now try and do the same for BNL. I refuse to believe that someone could actually turn in upon their existence and say "well shit, yeah, BNL!" It has simply not been my experience in life. People live their lives in their interpellated egos and interpolate their existence in the gaps between what they suppose is true.
    You're assuming here that in order to like something, you must find a deeper meaning in it. This is false.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Some people wrote stuff....

Is it not possible to just like crappy music in the same way that I like to read crappy fiction and watch crappy telly? No deeper meaning other than "I quite like it"?

BobCesca on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you like Zazen Boys, you should check out Gang Gang Dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0VePHmc7iE&feature=related

I like BNL more

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited February 2009
    Pods, if you wanna go around telling everybody they’re living a lie, good luck with it.

stilist on
    edited February 2009
    edited February 2009

I'm not understanding the thrust of this.

"These popular artists have work that speaks to me and how I identify myself. However these other artists- ones who don't speak to my identity, well, they can't speak to ANYONE. I refuse to believe it".

Organichu on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Some people wrote stuff....

Is it not possible to just like crappy music in the same way that I like to read crappy fiction and watch crappy telly? No deeper meaning other than "I quite like it"?

Do you not realize what you're talking to?

ViolentChemistry on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

No no, he just said his opinions are right, because their opinions are wrong.

No he basically said people's opinions are not their opinions because they're too dumb to form them on their own.

So it's his job to tell people what they're really thinking

that's different from telling someone their opinion is objectively bad

nexuscrawler on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    JAI HO

hey dudes

What's crackin

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    i love it when pods philoso-trolls chat :p

Medopine on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You're assuming here that in order to like something, you must find a deeper meaning in it. This is false.

Actually, I'm not. For instance, I love the song "Spin me Round." I have two different versions of it on vinyl -- the single and the murder mix, to be specific. Do I find a deeper meaning in being spun round? Fuck no! It's a stupid pop song. If someone were to say "I fucking hate that song" my response would be "oh I can totally understand that."

If someone were to say that about Miles Davis' solo on Blue in Green, I would seriously ask their opinions why, because I would try and show them a way to appreciate to enhance their life.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I though everyone that wasn't me hated Adore

deadonthestreet on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

what Adore is fantastic

Medopine on
    edited February 2009
    ALL THE MUSIC I LOVE IS AUTHENTIC AND GREAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOJe8MrN_ZE

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Die große Fuge.

Haphazard on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I get to go out for Indian food tonight :D

Oh boy! I hope you put down reservations for your bathroom.

JustinSane07 on
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

That, and the sort of gross assumption about what people believe or find meaning in.

Podly, that idea is the kind of stereotype you'd see played out on modern SNL.

JamesKeenan on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Actually, I'm not. For instance, I love the song "Spin me Round." I have two different versions of it on vinyl -- the single and the murder mix, to be specific. Do I find a deeper meaning in being spun round? Fuck no! It's a stupid pop song. If someone were to say "I fucking hate that song" my response would be "oh I can totally understand that."

If someone were to say that about Miles Davis' solo on Blue in Green, I would seriously ask their opinions why, because I would try and show them a way to appreciate to enhance their life.
    So you like a shitty pop song, and it's ok for you to like a shitty pop song. But it's not ok for someone else to like a shitty pop song?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited February 2009

No way man Adore is the best. MatIS has more amazing songs, but Adore is a more brilliant -- in the sense of shining -- album.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited February 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5uXFt_PGYU

?

Organichu on
    edited February 2009

most people can't turn in on their existence and say anything, let alone pick music to express it. i think doing so is over simple and facile, whether it's BNL or Beethoven. The moment after the pickup in Der Grosse Fugue, what does it evoke? Your entire self? One aspect of one self? One moment of authenticity and genuine self-understanding? Why can't a person find that same thing in BNL, or Hot in Hurr, or Banana Phone?

More to the point, why aren't people allowed to like music that is shallow and sounds nice?

Evil Multifarious on
    edited February 2009
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Die große Fuge.
    Technicalities! :P

stilist on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    I hate even the idea that if a certain genre of music is appreciated by a snootier brand of person, than those who don't enjoy it should feel that they just must not be high-up enough to understand it. Their tastes aren't mature.

Why? Because it's "not nice" to suggest it? Why is that your biggest metric? Is being inoffensive the most important thing in the whole world?

Besides - it is really more of a practical, pragmatic observation. People who get really into film or books or music tend to cluster around certain things. Individual tastes will vary, but averaged out among a large group of similar people, you're going to have a lot of film buffs who, for instance, love The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and not very many who are all about Sorority Boys.

There are certain things that to enjoy you need more of a background in that medium. Not everything is equally accessible to everyone. Why on earth should it be? What would be the point of that?

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I get to go out for Indian food tonight :D

Oh boy! I hope you put down reservations for your bathroom.
    I don't think it's that kind of Indian food.

Bama on
    edited February 2009

So you like a shitty pop song, and it's ok for you to like a shitty pop song. But it's not ok for someone else to like a shitty pop song?

If they get so outraged and yet can't say why, probably.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

most people can't turn in on their existence and say anything, let alone pick music to express it. i think doing so is over simple and facile, whether it's BNL or Beethoven. The moment after the pickup in Der Grosse Fugue, what does it evoke? Your entire self? One aspect of one self? One moment of authenticity and genuine self-understanding? Why can't a person find that same thing in BNL, or Hot in Hurr, or Banana Phone?

More to the point, why aren't people allowed to like music that is shallow and sounds nice?

They're allowed to, it just makes them beneath him.

ViolentChemistry on
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What's a BNL?

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.