As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kingdoms of [Phalla]cia

Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C ERegistered User regular
edited February 2007 in Critical Failures
This thread is done.

Please go to the thread

"[Game On] Kingdoms of

Phallacia".

Since I was wanting to run a slightly smaller Phalla than the ones going on in D&D right now, it was suggested that I bring my game here to ODaM. Hence, I am here. I'm told that Phallas haven't been as successful here lately, which makes me a little wary, but we'll see how it goes.

The background:

The Kingdoms of Phallacia have been ruled by the Council for as long as history could remember. One councillor from each kingdom was elected for a 10 year term to represent its constituency in the bi-weekly Council Assembly. The latest election has just concluded, and the new Council has been sworn in. However, there are rumors of treachery within the Council, evil Councillors who wish to usurp power for themselves. As such, the Council has called an emergency Assembly, and resolved not to return home until the culprits have been caught and exposed.

For those of you unfamiliar with the workings of Phalla (also known as Mafia or Werewolf), here are the basic rules:

There are two main groups of players: the good guys and the bad guys. In this case, the good guys are Councillors and the bad guys are "Rogue Councillors". Each night, everybody (including the bad guys) votes for who they think are the Rogue Councillors. At the end of the night, whoever has the most votes is killed. Also, each night, the bad guys choose someone to kill. The good guys win if they manage to vote off (or otherwise dispose of) all the bad guys, and the bad guys win if they ever have the same number as, or outnumber, the good guys.

There are lots of variations to these rules. Sometime the bad guys get more kills. Sometimes there is more than one group of bad guys. Usually the good guys get some special characters, such as a Vigilante, who can choose one person to kill every night, a Seer, who can see whether someone is a good or bad guy, and a Guardian, who can choose someone every night to protect.

This will be a somewhat simple game (relative to D&D). I think I’m going to cap it at 20 people, although allowances can and will be made if there is an unusually large amount of interest in this game.

Consider this both a sign-up thread and a question thread. Feel free to PM me as well. If you wish to sign up, please type I !sign up.

These are the people who have signed up so far. If you wish to be removed from the list (you bastard), let me know.

Alright, since I want to go ahead and get started, and any further signups would look suspiciously like me tacking on additional villagers, Signups are now closed.

I am randomizing the numbers NOW, so Navoc's late sign-up has no bearing on his role.

Abysmal Lynx
AcidSerra
ArrBeeBee
Cantide
DarkPrimus
GrimmyTOA
jdarksun
Lord Cecil Eaglelaser
Navoc
precisionk
PsychoLarry1
Shamus
Smasher
Squashua
Supersuga
TehSpectre
thorgot

PMs are going out tonight. Play will start tomorrow (Thursday) at 7:00pm Pacific time. I know that's a little late for you East Coasters, but I have class, so tough luck.

vRyue2p.png
Hi I'm Vee! on

• SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up.

It's about time this made it's way to ODAM, this sort of geekery belongs to us.

SUPERSUGA on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up.

With bells on.

GrimmyTOA on
  • AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sounds interesting, I'm in.

AcidSerra on
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up.

Love these games. Let's do it.

Shamus on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up.

Aroused Bull on
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up.

Cantide on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up

Maybe I can continue my streak of being a protector (2 in a row).

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I most definitely !sign up

PsychoLarry1 on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up

Smasher on
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up

Cause really, I bring the "fun" to Phalla games.

D&D knows this and people here will too.

precisionk on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up.

I love that we can watch/subscribe to threads now.

Squashua on
    edited February 2007
    This isn't going to be a roleplaying game, is it? I've grown so accustomed to D&D's clean, logical Phallas that I don't think I could handle a roleplaying one. Plus the game mechanics don't really lend themselves to roleplay anyway.

Aroused Bull on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    We roleplayed in the Pokeshire version, and it made for quite an entertaining game.

Of course, you could always just roleplay a superlogical dude.

I !sign up.

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    We roleplayed in the Pokeshire version, and it made for quite an entertaining game.

Pokeshire. That does not help bring me around.

Aroused Bull on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    Pokeshire. That does not help bring me around.

Well, fuck you then, mister. :-P

DarkPrimus on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wasn't planning on making it a roleplaying game. If that's a problem for a lot of people, though, we can make it a roleplaying game.

Basically, at this point I just want to do whichever way retains the most people. Signups have been slower than anticipated, and I really need at least 20 people for the balance to work right. If a bunch of people absolutely won't play unless we roleplay, then we'll roleplay. If most people would rather roleplay, but would still play even if we don't, and RBB can't stand roleplay, then we won't roleplay.

To be honest, I think the game mechanics would actually work rather well for roleplay. The Council is basically stuck in a room to debate who's a bad guy and who isn't. However, I don't really care either way; I just want to run my game and for people to have fun. Whichever route we take to achieve that is fine with me.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited February 2007
    I'd rather not roleplay, though I guess I could do it if I had to.

Smasher on
    edited February 2007
    I'm fine with roleplay if that's what the majority of people want to do, although if it was up to me alone I would choose not to.

Aroused Bull on
  • LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up

Loved running Pokeshire, it was a great laugh; now it's my turn to get involved.

LightReaper on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up.

Phallas are fun!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    By my count, we have 15 people signed up so far. Which means we need 5 more.

Tell your friends!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    By my count, we have 15 people signed up so far. Which means we need 5 more.

Tell your friends!

I count as 6 people, so you may start whenever.

precisionk on
    edited February 2007
    So yeah, I'm not really sure what to do here guys. I need 5 more people. I could probably swing 19, but any less than that is going to have some serious balance issues.

Any suggestions? Should I go advertising in chat threads of other boards? I know that D&D is starting another Phalla soon, and I don't want to step on anybody's toes.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I sign up!

I've always wanted to try one of these.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    So yeah, I'm not really sure what to do here guys. I need 5 more people. I could probably swing 19, but any less than that is going to have some serious balance issues.

Any suggestions? Should I go advertising in chat threads of other boards? I know that D&D is starting another Phalla soon, and I don't want to step on anybody's toes.

Have you designed the game such that you absolutely need a lot of people? 15 players would be a reasonable size for a real life game, if rather small compared to D&D's mega-Phallas.

Aroused Bull on
  • LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm gonna have to drop out guys sorry, i'm swamped with real life.

LightReaper on
    edited February 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »

Have you designed the game such that you absolutely need a lot of people? 15 players would be a reasonable size for a real life game, if rather small compared to D&D's mega-Phallas.

Yeah, to include all the roles I want to include and still have a balance, I need more than 15.

I might be able to do 16. It would be slightly in favor of a specific group, but better that than no game at all.

So yeah, one more person and I'll get it started.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited February 2007
    I'm gonna have to drop out guys sorry, i'm swamped with real life.

Yeah, this is a huge investment of time right now.

Squashua on
  • Lord Cecil EaglelaserLord Cecil Eaglelaser Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up

If you need more people.

Lord Cecil Eaglelaser on
    edited February 2007
    Alright, I think we have enough, assuming Squashua was merely commiserating and not actually dropping out.

Play will start tomorrow, assuming I'm able to construct all the PMs in time. In the meantime, signups are still open, since I'd still like to get to at least 19 if possible.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • NavocNavoc Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !sign up.

Navoc on
    edited February 2007
    Alright, since I want to go ahead and get started, and any further signups would look suspiciously like me tacking on additional villagers, I'm going to close signups.

I am randomizing the numbers NOW, so Navoc's late sign-up has no bearing on his role.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited February 2007
    What's the gameplay timeframe on this?

Squashua on
    edited February 2007
    What do you mean?

Edit: Sorry, I have to go to class, I'll have to answer you when I get home tonight. Check the first post, I've updated it, and it may answer your question.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited February 2007
    Are we doing one vote per day? I ask because if we're starting at 7pm PST (10pm EST) then I'm not going to be able to contribute anything (even a vote) until the next morning at the earliest. Unmovable plans, unfortunately.

So... I guess what I'm saying is that any info on the size of the voting/scheming window would be dandy.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited February 2007
    Is it going to be 7 every day?

A consistent time?

By what time are votes due?

Squashua on
    edited February 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Is it going to be 7 every day?

A consistent time?

By what time are votes due?

The game starts tomorrow at 7pm PST. Voting for that day remains open until 7pm the next day (Friday). Once voting closes, you guys will get some narration, and voting will be open again until 7pm the next day.

Hope that cleared things up.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    10 PM EST is not particularly late for me. But I have no special role, so it doesn't really matter.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, normally I wouldn't be concerned. The in-laws are in town this week though, so things are a bit more rigidly scheduled than I might like.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited February 2007
    Are we not going to know how many rogue councillors/etc. there are, or are you waiting until the opening narration to tell us?

Smasher on