As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hotel Suggestions? PAX RATE IS GO! LINK ON PAGE 5

ndotondoto Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in PAX Archive
Hey guys, I know the official hotel info hasn't been posted yet, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what hotels they've stayed at previously that they'd recommend vs. hotels that people have had bad experiences with? My friends and I are looking to get a hotel room without spending too too much on it, but some of the less expensive hotels I've been looking at seem to have some negative reviews on sites like Priceline and Hotels.com.

Anybody have any suggestions? :)

3DS: 4038-6001-4289
ndoto on

• MinjaMinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ive always stayed at the Sheraton for PAX and Sakuracon and they have always treated me well. Whats nice about them is they're right across the street from the convention center. The only downfall is that its a little more expensive if you were to walk a few blocks and stay at the Red Lion, which is a good amount cheaper.

Minja on
    katamaribanner.jpg
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hyatt++

Also, I hear the Sheraton is pretty awesome too. =)

Either way, make sure to get one of the PAX-approved hotels when they start coming out. It helps to make it easier for us to request more rooms in future PAX events.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I stayed at the Sheraton and it was awesome(Helps that my friend stays a lot there for business so we got a suite) and since it was right next to the convention center it was easy getting a spot in line early.

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've stayed at the Sheraton before (not for PAX) so it's nice, but so is the Red Lion, where I stayed last year for PAX. I'm personally shooting for the Hyatt this year though, because it's a bit nicer then the rest IMO, and another one I stayed at was pretty amazing.

Of course, with the Sheraton, you get an in-door pool on the top floor, and that's kinda nice to have.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm waiting until the hotel list has been posted to decide whether to stay at the Sheraton or cash in some Marriott points. The Marriott would be free but is a bit of a walk. I missed out on some cool stuff last year because my hotel wasn't very close to the action.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For the Hyatt, wait until it is suggested for the PAX Hotel Info...I just looked at it for the 3rd through the 7th and they have "unavailable rooms at this moment in time." Hyatt at Olive-8 is available.

Red Lion is nice and a good place just to stow away your possessions and rest for a couple of hours or so. It is like three-ish blocks away from the Center, but it was not bad at all. The Boyfriend and I stayed here our first year.

The Sheraton is also lovely and really good place to stay as well, a hop-skip-and-a-jump away from the Center but it is like $50ish? more when the time comes for the Hotel Info to pop up. Stayed here last year.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Red Lion may be a couple blocks away but it doesn't seem like it. Also, if you have a good sized group, say more then 6 people, you might not wanna stay there because the rooms are kinda small, or at least the one i stayed in was, and our group had 7 people. We also had two computers stuffed in there though lol.

Just an FYI :P

EDIT: Anybody that's stayed at the Hyatt before, does each room have a mini-fridge, and if so, about how much could it possibly hold? I'm planning on having a case or two of Brawndo stocked for the weekend (and I realize they wont hold THAT much, but... i wanna know).

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I stay at the Sheraton every year. It's nice enough, and it's really convenient if you just need to dash back to the room for something. Plus, I think if I stayed anywhere else, I'd probably still wind up walking back to the Sheraton out of habit by now. :)

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • HoolieHoolie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    We'll be making reservations for the Sheraton as soon as PAX posts its discount rates. Anyone stay in their suites? On their website, it's $150 more per night, but it's a second bedroom, kitchen, and dining room. I'm considering paying it, then renting out the second room to the noobs who don't book in advance.

Or is it not worth it? No pics of the suites on the website :-(

PS The Renaissance is definitely NOT worth it. A decent walk, and the rooms are *tiny*

Hoolie on
    edited February 2009
    I would say it's worth it if you have the extra money for it, especially if you plan on staying at least an extra day or two before/after PAX. Then again if you do only stay during PAX, I would image the dining room and kitchen wouldn't be used much. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd say the Sheraton is nice enough, and the distance is really worth it. I'll be staying here this year again, just like '07.

The only hotel I can tell you to stay away from is the Crown Plaza. They royally fucked up my reservation last year, claimed I didn't make it on the PAX rate, and then were really rude. What ever happened to the customer is always right? Or even sometimes right? Anyway, the only reason I got my rooms back is by calling on the power of Khoo, who, along with Mike F., stepped in to save the day. Yeah, I got my reservation back, but it was a lot of work and stress. Plus they aren't as close anyway.

I also had friends that stayed at the Red Lion, and it was really nice when I visited.

zombiebot on
    Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was at the Hyatt last year. Amazing hotel.

parabola on
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Was in the Union Tower at the Sheraton last year; considering requesting the same side of the hotel if I make it this year whether I can get the PAX rate on those rooms or not. It was nice not having many people in the elevators, since I'm more than a little claustrophobic.

BrennaCeDria on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    I'll probably stick with the Sheraton this year. Geographic convenience goes a long way.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I'll probably stick with the Sheraton this year. Geographic convenience goes a long way.

True dat, yo.

CaptainTapole on
  • starlitestarlite Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I stayed in the Sheraton last year and it was great. The location is the best of the hotels. The price last year was the same for the Hyatt, which is also very close. Some friends of mine stayed in the Hyatt, and the rooms there are MUCH nicer than the Sheraton. I will stay at the Hyatt this year, the rooms/bathrooms are amazing.

starlite on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What kind of prices are the various rooms going to be going for? I know the hotel info isn't up yet, just trying to get ballpark numbers.

Rius on
    edited February 2009
    Last year, the Sheraton and Hyatt PAX rates were both $169 a night.

starlite on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll second that the Sheraton was nice as well, but this year I'm going with the Green Tortoise Hostel. I did enough walking last year (Dick's and back lol) that I can live with being a smidgen farther away from the convention center.

redhalo on
  • X3R0 9X3R0 9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had a blast at the Sheraton, but I'm not going to be able to pull the cost of it this year, so I'll be staying at the Green Tortoise Hostel myself.

X3R0 9 on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    starlite wrote: »

Shiiit, really? I thought it was more than that. Damn. Maybe I'll get my own room? Except.. I think you have to be like.. 25 to get your own hotel or something, don't you? Or am I just thinking of car rental?

MeeOk on
    edited February 2009
    MeeOk wrote: »
    starlite wrote: »

Shiiit, really? I thought it was more than that. Damn. Maybe I'll get my own room? Except.. I think you have to be like.. 25 to get your own hotel or something, don't you? Or am I just thinking of car rental?

Yeah, it was 169 plus tax. 4 nights cost me 781 with all taxes. I think you have to be 18 to rent a hotel. 25 is rental cars, which you won't need here. I don't think the hotels usually care as long as you have a cc to secure the room.

starlite on
  • WifflebatWifflebat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't recommend the Hyatt high enough. Killer room, great service, friendly concierge, convenient location. I was unhappy with the Sheraton in 2007 but I think I was in the old tower.

Wifflebat on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So which hotels have free internet access in the room? I stayed at the W last year and not only was it too expensive they didn't have free internet in the room which put a damper on our Rock Band sessions.

Atlus Parker on
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So which hotels have free internet access in the room? I stayed at the W last year and not only was it too expensive they didn't have free internet in the room which put a damper on our Rock Band sessions.

All I know is that Sheraton was $10/day last year in the rooms. Me and my lappy made our way down to the lobby if I needed anything that I couldn't get on my phone.

BrennaCeDria on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I don't think any of the hotels have free internet.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2009
    Yeah, I don't think any of the hotels have free internet.

I hate to contradict you, Moe my Dear. Red Lion has complimentary wireless internet access in all guest rooms and public areas. This is according to the Red Lion Accommodations webpage.

CaptainTapole on
  • NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Its downtown Seattle, there are free wifi places everywhere.

North on
    edited February 2009
    I remember during PAX 07, we just set up our CCST 9dbi wifi antenna in the window and used a free wifi signal coming from... somewhere, but now we like to use Pandora while chilling in the room, which requires a more solid connection

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hyatt all the way. People argue geographic convenience but I think Hyatt is closer still. Splitting hairs really. The rooms at Hyatt are far superior, my BATHROOM was the same size as the Sheraton rooms and everything seemed much nicer.

@Coldbrew the bar fridge is an automatic billing one so you can't use it for your own storage, but they provide an additional bar fridge for $20. I fit an entire case fo Bawls in mine.

Internet at Hyatt is $10 a day but while PAX was on I just used mobile or BYOC internets.

CuZZa on
    edited February 2009
    I can confirm the Red Lion does include free internet. The wireless connectivity is good through-out the building, and there are wired port(s) in the rooms as well. The speeds aren't bad either, I was able to upload that animated Red vs Blue clip to Youtube that Friday night pretty quickly, lol.

Also, the reason I was asking about the mini-fridge is because we had one that was usable at the Red Lion last year (if I remember correctly, may have to ask somebody), in addition to the locked expensive-as-hell bar fridge. Oh well, we'll figure something out either way.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Helix118Helix118 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm flying from the UK to Seattle between 2nd September to the 8th - but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for hotels? I'm finding that a lot of the downtown hotels are very expensive (about £150 / $200 a night thus far) Am I looking in all the wrong places? And if I move further outfield, is transport going to be an issue?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome, I'd like to book something soon!

Thanks everyone.

~H

Helix118 on
    edited February 2009
    Wait for the PAX hotels to be officially announced. There will be a discount on those hotels that amounts to about $150-$175/night. If you're looking to go cheaper than that, you're going to have to move away from the convention center or stay at the Green Tortoise Hostel.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just went to the Hyatt Seattle site and looked for rooms from Friday the 7th to Monday the 9th, and got the following message:
    The hotel is sold out during your requested travel dates. Go back to select alternate dates at the same hotel or to enter an alternate hotel using the location search.

Is...is that bad?

AltDelete on
    edited February 2009
    No.

I'm sure they've already started talking to hotels to arrange stuff. They maybe just have certain rooms unbookable until Khoo and people get the rest of the hotels in order.

Or they could be completely sold out already and it wont be one of the PAX rate hotels.

parabola on
    edited February 2009
    Or they could be blocking the entire hotel, in which case, awesome.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2009
    Or they could be blocking the entire hotel, in which case, awesome.

Very unlikely that this happens with the Hyatt. Which is basically the nicest hotel in Seattle.

parabola on
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unlikely? Maybe. Sweet? Entirely.

AltDelete on
  • seraphexseraphex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My crew stayed at the Holiday Inn on Dexter Ave last year. It was about a mile walk each way, which didn't seem like much the first day, but by the end of the second we were pretty sore. The rates were cheap and we had free wifi and breakfast. We also paid $8 a night for parking, which I've been told is pretty reasonable for the area.

I would recommend it if you don't mind the distance. Make sure you bring a backpack because you aren't going to want to walk back during the day.

seraphex on
    If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
    edited February 2009
    $8 a night for parking actually is pretty reasonable considering what some of the bigger hotels charge. I think the Red Lion was $10 or $15 a night, can't really remember, but our group had two vehicles and I'm not even sure if they charged us for it.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
This discussion has been closed.