As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zune: 23 Months Later

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Weeks later, and it still works. Fucking rad.

Its actually a lot worse then just "in the snow"

We have a 75 degree incline here for a driveway, and my car has a hard time getting up it when its snowing out. Three Weeks ago sunday night I couldn't get up the driveway to save my life. It must have slipped out of my jacket pocket and in to the snow in the drive way. For two weeks it sat there, getting run over by all the cars coming in and out of the house. Two weeks later, I'm coming home from hanging out with friends, and I was just about to walk in the house when I realized I left my cellphone in the car. I turn around and see that a part of my driveway is GLOWING. I walked up to it and looked closer, only to find a big, white, ! blinking in the snow. Sure enough, it was my zune, trying to tell me it was out of power.

I had to dig it out of an inch of ice with a snow shovel. Its all scratched up. But, no broken pixels, no data loss, and now its syncing just fine (where as before it was being a bitch about it).

I guess theres a reason the 30g zunes were bricks with HDDs in them.

I still want to see a picture of the Zune in question. Come on!

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This story reminds me of all the old Gameboy stories about dropping them from 3 stories up, losing it in the snow until mid-spring and it still working, and the classic "got hit with a bomb" but still works story.
    2785641084_e7aa818f66.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well I got my Zune to start syncing again, I just restarted the computer and that did the trick.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    This story reminds me of all the old Gameboy stories about dropping them from 3 stories up, losing it in the snow until mid-spring and it still working, and the classic "got hit with a bomb" but still works story.
    2785641084_e7aa818f66.jpg

Nintendo has made some hardware that would probably last longer than the company.

Olol doooomed.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Weeks later, and it still works. Fucking rad.

Its actually a lot worse then just "in the snow"

We have a 75 degree incline here for a driveway, and my car has a hard time getting up it when its snowing out. Three Weeks ago sunday night I couldn't get up the driveway to save my life. It must have slipped out of my jacket pocket and in to the snow in the drive way. For two weeks it sat there, getting run over by all the cars coming in and out of the house. Two weeks later, I'm coming home from hanging out with friends, and I was just about to walk in the house when I realized I left my cellphone in the car. I turn around and see that a part of my driveway is GLOWING. I walked up to it and looked closer, only to find a big, white, ! blinking in the snow. Sure enough, it was my zune, trying to tell me it was out of power.

I had to dig it out of an inch of ice with a snow shovel. Its all scratched up. But, no broken pixels, no data loss, and now its syncing just fine (where as before it was being a bitch about it).

I guess theres a reason the 30g zunes were bricks with HDDs in them.

you probably ought to send your story to microsoft.

Evander on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but...

Are the 120s as tough as the 30s?

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but...

Are the 120s as tough as the 30s?

Probably not AS tough, but they aren't fragile either. Just avoid abuse and you should be golden.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so what are some good podcasts to subscribe to?

Aretè on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Areté wrote: »

I subscribe to pretty much only video podcasts.

Gaming Related:
    Attack of the Show Daily
    Attack of the Show - Around the Net
    Broken Pixels
    Bleep Bloop

Humor
    Ask a Ninja
    The Man Show
    College Humor Originals

Other
    French Maid TV

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited February 2009

everything from maximumfun.org

Evander on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I enjoy Stephen Fry's podgrams immensely.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I enjoy Stephen Fry's podgrams immensely.

Well, he's not Hugh Laurie, but I'll give it a shot.

Evander on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    thanks gents, ill be checking these out

Aretè on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

http://totallyradshow.com/
    http://revision3.com/

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Has anyone had any issues with their channels not updating?

I suscribe to the "just for you" "fitness", and "rock" one, and the only one that updates is the rock one. And I'm talking about in the marketplace. In fact, the "just for you one" dates all the way back to 12/17

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Has anyone heard anything about WinMo 6.5 (or whatever the latest version is) and Zune integration? I seem to recall something about them putting Zune software on Windows Mobile Phones.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about WinMo 6.5 (or whatever the latest version is) and Zune integration? I seem to recall something about them putting Zune software on Windows Mobile Phones.

there hasn't been any news on Project Pink in a while, as far as I'm aware.

Evander on
  • Options
    ftheriaaftheriaa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I pulled the trigger on an 4gb red. I'm excited.

ftheriaa on
    Gamertag: Powerphone
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okay, so my sync cable has literally broken apart and it refuses to go inside my Zune. But seriously, you can't get a Zune Sync Cable in retail? You have to get it shipped? What the hell? I mean its not that bad but seriously. I can't just go into a store and get a sync cable instantly?

RCagent on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    RCagent wrote: »
    Okay, so my sync cable has literally broken apart and it refuses to go inside my Zune. But seriously, you can't get a Zune Sync Cable in retail? You have to get it shipped? What the hell? I mean its not that bad but seriously. I can't just go into a store and get a sync cable instantly?

Man, few places carry Zune accessories. Most of them would rather stock up on stupid ipod crap that nobody cares about...

"OH MY GOD! Pink, orange and lime colored ipod nano socks for only $25!"

:|

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

they used to be $20 seperately at retail.

monoprice.com has 3rd party ones for extremely cheap, though

Evander on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As for good podcasts, Smodcast is damn fine. It's Kevin Smith's podcast, along with his producer, Mosier. Basically, they just sit around and bullshit for an hour or so. It's fun. Although, I don't think it's updated on Zune in awhile.

The CHUD Show is really awesome. However, it's also really weird. It's mostly movies they chat about, but it usually devolves into punfests. I love the website, so the podcast is great fun for me.

Coverville is a slick little 'cast that is a themed song cover show about twice a week. Guy does a really good job.

And, of course, Rebel FM and the Bombcast for video games shennanigans.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Idle Thumbs is currently the best video game podcast on my list. And Smodcast is updating just fine on Zune marketplace, but I think they switched their RSS at some point. You might have to re-add it via their website directly.

Kevin Smith is really high, and apparently cries a lot about Wayne Gretzky.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Smodcast is good, but it is also horrible sometimes.

If you don't particularly like Smith, don't listen to it.

If you hate listening to a fat man calling himself fat, but not doing anything about it, don't listen to it.

Let me put it this way: if you enjoy the commentary tracks on Smith's movies, and/or the evening with kevin smith series, you'll like the 'cast. If you like his movies, but the commentary not so much, try it with trepidation. If you're not a fan of Smith to begin with, don't waste your time (and the rest of ours when we have to listen to you complaining about it)

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Evander wrote: »

Hallelujah! I need some extra cables to keep around.

Anyone have the official FM transmitter? Is it worth it or should I just get one of the generic headphone jack ones?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

try Wal-Mart or Best Buy?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

try Wal-Mart or Best Buy?

At least in my area, Wal-Mart, Target and Best Buy all carry various Zune components....like the Zune Dock. I've seen sync cables before too (albeit overpriced, but that's not surprising). They're also available over Amazon, of course.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hmm..well, How bout this...iTunes Pass Seems like Apple is making a pass system, but sadly, it's not the good kind of subscription based pass.

I don't know why Apple just doesn't use the subscription based pass, besides the cynical, "We can charge them $.99 for every song, or $15 for ALL of our songs...Hmm...which will make us more money..."

Anywho, I'll take anything that'll bring Apple down so we can get some real competition in the field. As it is, Apple's too big for other companies to make a dent. It's like with World Of Warcraft. It doesn't matter if it's the best or worst MMO out there, it's the biggest by far, and no other game can go against it, even if the other games are better. So the field stagnates, and the only way to get real innovation is to get competition.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That is a very weird and crazy system. "Pay this now, and you get everything this band releases for the next year. But you don't know what that could be, but we at least promise you will get your money's worth. At least from our point of view.."

??

I was at a concert last night and it was the worst kind of temptation for a Zune Pass I have experienced. Heard 2 bands I hadn't heard of before and kept thinking to myself: "If I had a Zune Pass, I could go home and download everything I just heard."

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Anyone have the official FM transmitter? Is it worth it or should I just get one of the generic headphone jack ones?

i got this for a birthday and i can say it works pretty well, better than a 3rd party one for sure.
    the only trouble is finding a clear station, but once you've found one it works like a charm.
    the only thing is if another car is tuned to that station you can pick up other people's ( i always imagine the looks on peoples faces when they hear my music randomly come on...)

in my experience the tape adapter works fine but they are often cheap and break easily.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    here's a direct link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10832&cs_id=1083201&p_id=3486&seq=1&format=2

$2.23 for a Zune sync cable (they get cheaper if you buy more than one at a time)

They also have wall and car chargers, both cheaper than four bucks.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

i got this for a birthday and i can say it works pretty well, better than a 3rd party one for sure.
    the only trouble is finding a clear station, but once you've found one it works like a charm.
    the only thing is if another car is tuned to that station you can pick up other people's ( i always imagine the looks on peoples faces when they hear my music randomly come on...)

in my experience the tape adapter works fine but they are often cheap and break easily.

I have tape adapters and they work beautifully since it's a direct feed, but the problem is with the cars manufactured between the point they stopped putting tape players in them, and before they started putting AUX lines in them. AKA: My PT Cruiser....

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Man, a new car stereo is not that expensive. I put one with an aux input in my car for less than $150.

Of course, I kind of had to do that because the stereo that was in the car was junk, but still.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's not the expense that is stopping me, it's the form factor. It's not the nice, standard stereo size that can be easily pulled and replaced..

(and the expense)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's not the expense that is stopping me, it's the form factor. It's not the nice, standard stereo size that can be easily pulled and replaced..

(and the expense)

Yeah, that does suck. I own a grand total of 2 CDs (the rest of my music is digital), so when I was shopping around, I was worried about buying a car that only had a CD player and no tape deck.

Thankfully, my '06 Spectra has aux input. Probably the most advance feature of the whole car. o_O

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So... some fucker stole my 1st gen brown brick. I'm pretty pissed. I hope I didn't have any nude photos of my wife on it. Should I buy a current gen zune or wait for the next batch? I haven't been keeping up with the releases because my 1st gen was so awesome.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Luq wrote: »
    So... some fucker stole my 1st gen brown brick. I'm pretty pissed. I hope I didn't have any nude photos of my wife on it. Should I buy a current gen zune or wait for the next batch? I haven't been keeping up with the releases because my 1st gen was so awesome.

That really sucks. Especially if you'd become attached/accustomed to it.

Personally, if you knew there was no chance of getting it back, I'd go ahead and start looking at the 80s or 120s (depending on your storage needs and budget). One very good thing about Zunes is that even the oldest model is included in the update system, so there's not a great deal to be had by waiting (besides lower prices--I don't think they're planning to add any major new hardware functions any time soon).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Regarding the 80 or 120, is it possible to exercise with them? With my 30 it just wasn't going to happen. I want the big phat space and screen, but I'd like to be able to use it instead of my old Muvo 128 when I'm working out.

edit: Very attached. His name was Hector. He was purchased at the Microsoft employee store at the Las Colinas campus. He will be missed.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I can't comment in regard to jogging, but I have had my Zune120 with me through many bumps and travels sitting on a car seat without a single skip.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Luq wrote: »
    Regarding the 80 or 120, is it possible to exercise with them? With my 30 it just wasn't going to happen. I want the big phat space and screen, but I'd like to be able to use it instead of my old Muvo 128 when I'm working out.

edit: Very attached. His name was Hector. He was purchased at the Microsoft employee store at the Las Colinas campus. He will be missed.

That sucks. I haven't become so attached to my Zune that I refer to it by it's name (a clever ploy, Microsoft, making us name our devices...build brand loyalty), but I've only had it since the launch of the 80 model.

I don't think you'll have any problems with the 80 or 120 exercising. They have a larger screen, but are notably thinner, than the original 30s. And there is no problem skipping....I frequently leave my Zune, and its beat-up Incipio leather case, on an exterior 'compartment' on my motorcycle while I drive (that way, I can change tracks at stop lights). If the bumping and shaking from driving on this town's crappy roads hasn't damaged the Zune or caused it to kip, I can't see it being a problem while exercising (a few companies, including Incipio, sell armband and belt cases).

Synthesis on
This discussion has been closed.