As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marketing for a LAN party

MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizardRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello everyone,

In my area I participate in a LAN party group that is hosted by a local community college. The numbers of people showing up have been very lack-luster as of the past half-dozen events. Mostly this is attributed to lack of marketing on the people that actually "run" the event.

Seeing as I work as a graphic designer and sudo-marketing I have volunteered to try to market and make some materials for the next event. Below is a list of things on my list to do - what I need is any other ideas for things to do along with any places online that are free to advertise a Lan party.

Since we are hosted by the Community College we are 100% non-profit. We charge a $15 dollar registration fee that goes to door prizes (everything from N-Vidia lunch boxes to Wireless Keyboards and even one time we had an N-vidia 8800 that the college IT department's vendor supplied to us), lunch (normally pizza from a local pizza shop) and drinks (Cola, Mt. Dew, bottled Water, etc. by way of a Sam's run). People with non-badass rigs can rent a slot on in-house PCs for an extra $10 on top of the normal registration and people like me who hate to lug around their montior can rent a monitor slot for $5 on top of the registration.

So here is the list of things I'm planning on doing:
  • Large-scale posters on the College Campus
  • Slide on the college ran Public Broadcast channel
  • Handout cards/invitations for some of the instructors to hand out
  • and a smaller poster and some invitation cards going to the local comic book store
Any ideas?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
MagicPrime on

• Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Facebook ads? Those are fairly cheap, and only count when people click on them. You can set a maximum amount of money you'd like to spend, so you won't go broke.

Word of mouth is almost always the best form of advertisement, maybe create an incentive for people for bringing in friends (10% off, free hour of game, free food, etc)

I don't know if chalking is popular on your campus, but it's something that's fairly cheap and can get lots of notice when placed properly.

*edit*Oops, glanced over "free." I don't know if you want to advertise on Craigslist. Maybe ask current participants to sign-up for an email list of sorts?

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What you're doing already is good, particularly if you are targeting it to departments that are likely to have gamers. Are there any LAN centers in your area that would be interested in helping you? Do you have GameStops or other stores that might help? These are good starting places. The other thing is LAN-events. I know when I was LANing I got real sick real fast of just screwing around on random shit especially in later hours. I wouldn't attend a LAN unless there was at least a well-run unofficial tournament. I didn't even care if there was prize money I just wanted to play in a structured setting with other people who cared more about game competition and less about case modding and CS aim_maps (yes, it's been AWHILE since I LANed). You may want to think about putting together some sort of for-fun tourny.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lordswing wrote: »
    Facebook ads? Those are fairly cheap, and only count when people click on them. You can set a maximum amount of money you'd like to spend, so you won't go broke.

Word of mouth is almost always the best form of advertisement, maybe create an incentive for people for bringing in friends (10% off, free hour of game, free food, etc)

I don't know if chalking is popular on your campus, but it's something that's fairly cheap and can get lots of notice when placed properly.

*edit*Oops, glanced over "free." I don't know if you want to advertise on Craigslist. Maybe ask current participants to sign-up for an email list of sorts?

Think simpler: creating a Facebook event is free, easy, and effective, especially since you should already have advertising blurb/images made up. Throw it all on a FB page and invite everyone you know in the area.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For starters..... why did you not post any details here (where/when)? The more you get the word out the better response you will get. There is that phrase "it's a small world", hell in the Penny Arcade NHL 09 group for xbox there are only like 20 of us who play the game. After speaking a bit I found that at least 6 or 7 of the forum members live within an hour of me. So post the details here and who knows how many PAers you'll get. Same with other online outlets.

But other than that you are on the right track.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    For starters..... why did you not post any details here (where/when)?

Generally, posts like that in H/A will get you infracted or at least thread-locked for trying to use the forum for advertising. I'm not sure if these are allowed in G&T.

Scrublet on

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For starters..... why did you not post any details here (where/when)? The more you get the word out the better response you will get. There is that phrase "it's a small world", hell in the Penny Arcade NHL 09 group for xbox there are only like 20 of us who play the game. After speaking a bit I found that at least 6 or 7 of the forum members live within an hour of me. So post the details here and who knows how many PAers you'll get. Same with other online outlets.

I don't know what the policy is about whoring non PA events on the forums, or I would have posted something in G/T.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You could make fliers and pass them out at the local game stores. I'm sure places like Game Crazy and stuff will let you put them either inside or hand them out outside the place.

urahonky on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »

I don't know what the policy is about whoring non PA events on the forums, or I would have posted something in G/T.

PM the mods. Worse they're gonna say is "No."

Hell for the ATL meetup Elki even hooked us up with a sticky.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What about tournements? Advertise tournements you guys will be holding. Will you have Big screen TV's with consoles hooked up to them? People will want to show off how good they are at Halo and Madden.

An RTS Tourney for PC's
    Team FPS Tourney for PC's
    1v1 and FFA FPS Tourney for Console
    Sports game Tourney for Console

You can hold a couple of these at the same time. Just have to have people willing to run them. LAN parties where people just come and play games are boring as a lot of the people comming will just play over the internet. This may be part of the reason why attendence is dwindiling, make the party fun again by making it a party and not a place to come play games on the internet for a day.

If you are really ambitious, set up a WoW Sandbox server. Create Decked out characters on accounts people can use and raid the highest level dungeon. Could also create an Arena Tourney.

Make this a fun one and the next one will have much much more people.

Buddies on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    We use a big multi-media room.

There are LCD projectors at the front and back of the room, usually they have a 360 hooked up to them and one is playing RockBand (with a deluxe set up) and the other is for Halo or what have you. The main center of the room has long tables for everyone's PCs.

The web site for the lan parties kind of sucks right now, so me and a couple other of the IT guys are trying to get control over it so we can pretty it up.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My exgirlfriend ran a club that did this at her community college. They made it pretty large through sponsorships from companies. If you weren't purchasing all the prizes, than you wouldn't have that huge "registration fee" that's likely holding a lot of people back. Most of these companies make it pretty easy to sign up for a sponsorship. You just contact them (some of them have a form specifically for this) and explain the event and how many people you expect to come. I think she had regular packages arriving from ATI and Bawls among others just packed with free products. They also give you a lot of posters, T-shirts, sickers and stuff that give your event a very professional feel. That helps a lot too as some people won't take it seriously otherwise.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Buddies wrote: »
    If you are really ambitious, set up a WoW Sandbox server. Create Decked out characters on accounts people can use and raid the highest level dungeon. Could also create an Arena Tourney.

That would be fucking sweet. I would attend just for this RIGHT NOW. I am at a point in my life where I can not keep up an upper-tier raiding schedule to get geared. Would a PUG group be able to survive some of those raids? Probably not. But it'd still be fun as shit to try with people in the same room :)

Scrublet on

• Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    lordswing wrote: »

Think simpler: creating a Facebook event is free, easy, and effective, especially since you should already have advertising blurb/images made up. Throw it all on a FB page and invite everyone you know in the area.

seconding the FB event. My dept. had a pretty succesful xmas party and all i did was send create a fb event. people pretty much invited eachother on it.. I sent the invite to 50 people, but eventually about 300 people were invited. plenty showed up.

The_Glad_Hatter on