As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Safari 4: for realz.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Threepio wrote: »
    Integrated database browser?

Alright.

Yea, when I discovered the option to limit the size of the database it was like "man, what?"

It is simultaneously hilarious and horrible.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Saar wrote: »
    area wrote: »
    Saar wrote: »
    After installing the beta, Mail would crash when attempting to get new messages. Uninstalled beta, Mail works fine.

The problem here is probably GrowlMail. For the moment, you have to choose between it and Safari 4.

I'll take my growlmail.

I also noticed that 1Password wasn't installing on the beta browser.

I guess I'll stick with FF3 for now and check out Safari 4 when it's officially launched.

1Password can be tricked into working as described here

area on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, uh, does Safari 4 implement that new javascript rendering engine (can't remember the name of it)?

Oh, also, anyone tried using the built-in RSS reader? Any impressions?

Kris on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    I'm disappointed it doesn't seem to be working with Gmail. I love it aside from that.

I'm having no trouble with gmail, although after having the browser open for a while ajax-y pages seem to not want to load. try restarting the browser and see if that works for you.

It was working fine before, but now it's just blank, even after browser restart. I can still access my school Gmail account through the university website, just not my main account on Gmail.com.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Better than Safari 3 for sure, but still doesn't let me:

- auto-restore my session on startup (yes there is a menu command to do this under history, but it has no keyboard shortcut and sometimes loads tabs as blank inexplicably)
    - redirect new windows to being new tabs instead (except when they are intended to be little pop-up windows that go away quickly)

Also it is still terrible at animated gifs.

I will continue to use it in OS X because it is the fastest Mac browser.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    - redirect new windows to being new tabs instead (except when they are intended to be little pop-up windows that go away quickly)
    Been able to do this in v3 on OS X for a little while now. See this post. It works for v4 as well it seems.

Of course, it'd be really frickin' nice if they would make this option available in the fucking GUI; instead of only accessible if you troll about the internet and then dick about in the Terminal.

On the topic of having moved the tabs to the titlebar: I'm not liking that you have to grab a very small spot on the tab in order to move it around.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    auto-restore my session on startup (yes there is a menu command to do this under history, but it has no keyboard shortcut and sometimes loads tabs as blank inexplicably)

Why not define one yourself? Go to System Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts. Click the plus button, choose Safari from the dropdown, type the menu item you want to assign a shortcut and bind away.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr_AnonymousMr_Anonymous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a weird problem with this Beta, on Mac. Youtube doesn't work. By which I mean, it'll open youtube.com but will hang on a search or trying to open a video, and also won't even show integrated videos on sites such as bebo.com (I know I know...) and rockpapershotgun.com at all. Just blank spaces on the page.

Anyone else having this problem?

Also this f'cking browser still can't seem to handle eBay either. Wtf Apple...

Mr_Anonymous on
  • Options
    dodosdodos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The built-in RSS reader isn't anything new, but it's not great if you want your feeds to work across multiple computers / devices (such as an iPhone w/ Google Reader).

It just has a "nitro engine" which I'm guessing is the latest version of WebKit, Firefox is the one getting a new rendering engine called TraceMonkey.

EDIT: Handles YouTube HD and Ebay fine for me - see what you have plugged in or anything that integrates with Safari. Use GlimmerBlocker instead of AdBlock.

dodos on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Been able to do this in v3 on OS X for a little while now. See this post. It works for v4 as well it seems.

Of course, it'd be really frickin' nice if they would make this option available in the fucking GUI; instead of only accessible if you troll about the internet and then dick about in the Terminal.

Saw the post, that's really overkill though (but better than nothing). Sometimes I want small pop-ups to actually open as new windows. Changing that parameter makes browsing forums less stressful, but introduces confusion in other sites. Other browsers are smarter about this nowadays and can kind of guess which behavior is preferable.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    Mr_AnonymousMr_Anonymous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    dodos wrote: »
    EDIT: Handles YouTube HD and Ebay fine for me - see what you have plugged in or anything that integrates with Safari. Use GlimmerBlocker instead of AdBlock.

Thank you so, so much. I must have missed when Adblock was considered crap and glimmerblock better, but now that I've switched them it's all good!

EDIT: Does anyone know of an up-to-date Safari addon like Keywurl? That guy stopped updating it way back in March last year and it doesn't work at all now. Throws up an error so I had to delete it. Sad because it was so useful. Why Apple haven't included the ability to type "youtube football" and have the search done á la Firefox is beyond me.

Mr_Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    so this is ultimate win. Safari, after 5 minutes of testing, seems to run faster on my 8GB SSD Aspire One running Windows 7 than IE8, FF3, Opera, or Chrome. The load time is about instant, and it seems to be just a bit more responsive in navigation. I will have to do further testing and see if this holds up over the course of a few hours.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is a definite improvement. Love the title-bar tabs thing. Makes the browser even more minimal. I like.

Still, the favourites button sucks compared to Chrome/FF because you have to click Add to add a fav, while Chrome and FF add it with just one click - rather convenient. And the search doesn't work like in Chrome, where you start getting results in your browser bar right away, which is pretty fucking sweet.

Overall, enough to sate the hunger until Chrome comes out on OS X (and hopefully doesn't suck).

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I stopped Google Gears from storing Gmail information on my computer. Now Gmail loads.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    They took away the address filling progress bar - I wonder why.

dodos on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Apple's been making some interface changes that have begun to get rid of the blue.

See: iTunes/iPhoto '09 scrollbars. I'm kind of surprised that Safari's haven't changed as well.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Apple's been making some interface changes that have begun to get rid of the blue.

See: iTunes/iPhoto '09 scrollbars. I'm kind of surprised that Safari's haven't changed as well.

It's still mentioned in the features list on the website, though:
    Apple wrote:
    Safari was the first browser to move the progress indicator into the address field, making it more visible and freeing up space for web content. At a glance, you can see exactly when a site is finished loading.

(Can be found here, under User Interface and Appearance)

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well I'll be. That seems like a mistake, though technically there's still a "progress indicator" in the address field. Its just not as precise.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Slightly off-topic yet somewhat related, for those of whom are on the verge of converting to Safari 4 - Firefox 3.1 might not ship with Tracemonkey.

dodos on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm just an archaic minimalist, but if I don't need it, I don't want it installed. If I don't want it for a specific purpose, then I don't want it installed. You said it yourself that we don't know what would exactly work on it by default, so why bother installing something that I don't know what I can use it for?

GMail is working fine for me, and so far Safari has been meeting my needs in a web browser. I will probably never see or use the coverflow option.

I found out what Bonjour is for. If you open up the "Show All Bookmarks" interface, it uses Bonjour to check your local network for Zeroconf webservers. It found my TiVo and my printer and let me click on them to use their web interfaces.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like the placement of the new tab section just because your whole window doesn't shift up/down when you go from 1 tab->multiple tabs

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's like Safari 3 and Chrome had a bastard love child.

I like it. :)

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wish it showed where a link was going if you mouseover it.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    mastman wrote: »

Click "View-Show Status Bar"

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    mastman wrote: »

Click "View-Show Status Bar"

It's nice though when it just pops up next to your cursor, so you don't have the wasted screen real estate while not clicking a link.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you'd like tabs under the address bar, á la Safari 3, then (on the Mac, at least) there is an answer. Fire up the Terminal and type

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool NO

and then restart Safari. Voila, proper tabbing procedure shall be restored. Change NO to YES if you want to change back to the newer behaviour.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    First impressions are that it's quite nice, though it does seem to be having some problems with GMail. Not too sure about the tabs above the address bar, I might use that terminal trick to put them underneath again, though I might get used to it.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's probably a good thing games don't work on http://www.iminlikewithyou.com even though I installed the latest flash, the time I've wasted playing balloono is scary

*edit*Shit, now it works

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Downloaded and installed yesterday.

Not a fan of my tabs being in the title bar. I think that's a weird change for the browser.

Also not a fan of the address bar dropping down and showing me Top Hits, History, and Bookmarks when I type a URL. Is there a way to turn this feature off?

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Not a fan of my tabs being in the title bar. I think that's a weird change for the browser.

Also not a fan of the address bar dropping down and showing me Top Hits, History, and Bookmarks when I type a URL. Is there a way to turn this feature off?

No, pretty much every browser does that now. It's actually pretty awesome when you use it. That's why Firefox calls it the Awesome Bar, literally.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

No, pretty much every browser does that now. It's actually pretty awesome when you use it. That's why Firefox calls it the Awesome Bar, literally.
    It's one of those things that are awesome when you want it, and and annoying when you don't. The drop down thing on the google search page is so fucking infuriating sometimes, if I want to search for something using terms sort of like ones I've used in the past.

But when I'm searching for something I can't quite remember, it's awesome.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    First impressions are that it's quite nice, though it does seem to be having some problems with GMail. Not too sure about the tabs above the address bar, I might use that terminal trick to put them underneath again, though I might get used to it.

One thing you can't do with tabs in the title bar is Right/Ctrl+Click on the page title to drill down through the URL - so if you're at www.foo.com/bar, Ctrl+Clicking will let you quickly get to www.foo.com. Not always useful, but saves a lot of typing when you have a really long URL and just want to get back to the root.

drilldown.png

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll wait until there is more of a feeling about how good the new safari is. I really dislike anything from Apple. Itunes last time I installed it required being hard uninstalled, quicktime continues to give me shit whenever downloading certain movie trailers, and chrome sure looks sleeker and more minimalistic.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Been using it for about two or so days now, its been really nice. Fixed a bunch of issues I had with v3, and the new tabs, while taking some getting used to, aren't a major sticking point for me.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really can't stand the way address bar results are ordered in this. Part of its probably what I'm used to, but it doesn't seem to search page titles. Is that just some setting I've screwed up? A few reviews seem to suggest that it searches against page titles.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So far it's working pretty well, although the text is either a touch too small or a touch too large, depending on the zoom level. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

One thing I'd really like is to be able to change the search engine in the search bar on the fly. In firefox you could click and get a drop-down with a list of search engines (youtube, wiki, amazon, etc.) and add or remove whichever ones you wanted. Here it's just Google. Can I add different searchers somehow?

edit: Fuck, and is there seriously no "Undo Close Tab"? That might be the deal-breaker.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Overall, I like it. However: no progress bar.

Is the page still loading or is it stalled? I can't tell, because there's no progress bar.

Echo on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I haven't used it in a bit, went back to FF, but I remember it also missing the bar showing the url of whatever link you're hovering the mouse over.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I haven't used it in a bit, went back to FF, but I remember it also missing the bar showing the url of whatever link you're hovering the mouse over.
    Windows:
    Click the "gear" button, and select "Show Status Bar".

Mac:
    Click View menu, and select "Show Status Bar".

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wish more browsers did it like Chrome, where the status bar isn't there until you hover over a link, and then it just shows the URL of that link in the bottom left corner.

Or like Opera, if you don't have the status bar on, it gives you the URL next to your cursor.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png