As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting Time Off

• ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    The Fall semester begins the last week of August. Talking to the academic advisors, instructors and department head, all I really have to do is contact the instructors/professors before the semester begins and let them know that I'll be missing certain days. And since most of the classes are closed by the end of the first week, it's pretty safe to miss a few days during the second week.

ah, the days of school. im horribly jealous. its going to be my second week of hospital rotations. i can imagine the conversation now:

"i know that mrs. jones has her bypass scheduled on friday, but have you SEEN the new Diablo III?"

THEY MADE IT DARK!

I heard the opposite, that the color saturation was too high, such that it is now 'gay'.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Fall semester begins the last week of August. Talking to the academic advisors, instructors and department head, all I really have to do is contact the instructors/professors before the semester begins and let them know that I'll be missing certain days. And since most of the classes are closed by the end of the first week, it's pretty safe to miss a few days during the second week.

ah, the days of school. im horribly jealous. its going to be my second week of hospital rotations. i can imagine the conversation now:

"i know that mrs. jones has her bypass scheduled on friday, but have you SEEN the new Diablo III?"

THEY MADE IT DARK!

I heard the opposite, that the color saturation was too high, such that it is now 'gay'.

The proper term is "WoW-gayness."

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    whats with all of the diablo hate?

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i never understood why some one would be stupid enough to not play a game simply because they don't like the way it looks.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i never understood why some one would be stupid enough to not play a game simply because they don't like the way it looks.

exactly. ive been playing world of goo lately. its not the prettiest game but its great

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I suggest asking for at least a week off, even if you live locally. It's very worth it.

babelfish on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Um... if I can't stand looking at something for even a short period of time, why would I keep on playing it. Since I've never touched the Diablo series, I can't go along with that example. But I know that Thanda wanted me to try out Space Giraffe. I'm not going to play a game that is trying to give me a seizure.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

THEY MADE IT DARK!

The proper term is "WoW-gayness."

Moar like celda?

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have no issue getting the time...and my daughter won't either(13)...its my son(18) that will have an issue...he will be starting at Northeastern U in Boston the last week in August...so I imagine I will fly him to Boston(we are in SoCal) to start school...fly him to seattle for a weekend(PAX) and fly him back to Boston for school again...while my daughter and I Fly from Ontario(California) to Seattle and back...I better start saving some money...at least my Daughter and I can Fly to Boston next year for PAX East Coast and he will already be there...All three of us attended our first PAX last year and we are sooo Jonesing for this year...

Rayman on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rayman wrote: »
    I have no issue getting the time...and my daughter won't either(13)...its my son(18) that will have an issue...he will be starting at Northeastern U in Boston the last week in August...so I imagine I will fly him to Boston(we are in SoCal) to start school...fly him to seattle for a weekend(PAX) and fly him back to Boston for school again...while my daughter and I Fly from Ontario(California) to Seattle and back...I better start saving some money...at least my Daughter and I can Fly to Boston next year for PAX East Coast and he will already be there...All three of us attended our first PAX last year and we are sooo Jonesing for this year...

Yeah, you're looking at 350-400 for his round flight trip.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Though, wouldn't flying out of Ontario possibly cost more than flying out of LAX for all of your flights. I could fly in and out of Burbank Airport because it's only a half hour away on surface streets, but it costs around $50 or more to fly out of there vs. LAX. Dunno if you'd want to do the drive though.

Hmm, nevermind, checked a map, and Ontario is pretty far to save about $100 per ticket.

Rogue_hunter on
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Cynd3rCynCynd3rCyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have worked almost 2 years in housekeeping and haven't called in. I usually ask for my PAX time off in May. So far it's never been an issue. I have a new GM at the hotel I work for, I hope I continue to be lucky in getting my vacation approved.

Cynd3rCyn on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

No LTA (Lennon to the folks who remembered his name)!??!!? That makes me sad.

It's not the same as the Trifecta of the Buttoneer Family.

But I will still love ya just the same!

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Eh. Make your son join the CCST.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    Haha, it would save some cash, and VT does have space in the van, but it would take him until some time the following Wednesday to get back, and he would have to leave around midnight on the preceding Tuesday.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i may have hit a snag in getting time off . .. it turns out my boss is pregnant . .. not by me you numbskulls . . .anyway . . . she might be out on maternity leave around the same time as pax.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i may have hit a snag in getting time off . .. it turns out my boss is pregnant . .. not by me you numbskulls . . .anyway . . . she might be out on maternity leave around the same time as pax.

Sorry, my bad.

redhalo on
  • sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    redhalo wrote: »

Sorry, my bad.

Bad ... BAD, redhalo.

sum10fishy on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

How bad would you feel about convincing her to abort just so you won't have problems going to PAX?

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2009
    proXimity wrote: »

How bad would you feel about convincing her to abort just so you won't have problems going to PAX?

Man, and I thought my joke was in bad taste.

redhalo on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    proXimity wrote: »

Man, and I thought my joke was in bad taste.

Now you can go to PAX!

pregnant.jpg

MaoChan on
    edited February 2009
    MaoChan wrote: »
    Now you can go to PAX!

So, SO wrong.

LOL

sum10fishy on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To the initial op, I usually talked about going to seattle for time away from my life here fairly excitedly. They all knew I wanted to go very badly, and one guy even said to the manager "you realise he'll just quit if we don't give him the time off right?"

Hardly matters since I ended up quitting over jackass comments a coworker made to me on other topics a few weeks after, but still.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    sum10fishy wrote: »
    MaoChan wrote: »
    Now you can go to PAX!

So, SO wrong.

LOL

I laughed and felt horrible at the same time. Congratulations.

At least we know the PAX dates so far in advance. Because of that I haven't had any trouble getting the time off.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • thenicole84thenicole84 Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    One of my friends was getting married that weekend, but due to a variety of reasons, changed it to the last weekend in August. I don't think I've ever been so happy in my life about a wedding moving.

thenicole84 on
    edited February 2009
    One of my friends was getting married that weekend, but due to a variety of reasons, changed it to the last weekend in August. I don't think I've ever been so happy in my life about a wedding moving.

That almost happened to me last year (my first year at PAX), but my friend rescheduled to October about this time last year. The day I found out she rescheduled was the day I bought my pass.

Rogue_hunter on
    Google+
    Twitter
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Knowing the date in December was a big key to getting my time off.

Also, bothering a manager who didn't bother to look and see it was over Labor Day weekend. That definitely helped a lot.

mrsnackroad on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I curse The Boyfriend sometimes!

He's all paranoid that he won't get time off since he may or may not have a job by the time PAX rolls around. He's in school for phlebotomy right now and will be graduating from it mid-May. He's not even too sure if he could get time off for Comic-Con and I've had those tickets since I went last year.

...I'm making him go. Plus, it will be our anniversary on the 5th, so he's gonna go darn it!!

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I am about to make my school/teaching schedule so that I can go to PAX...

SergeantAuberie on
  • RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just got my boss to approve the time off. Luckily my boss is a gamer so he understands. Litterally i went up to him and had the following conversation.

Me: Hey Rob (thats my boss's name) i need these days off
    Rob: Ok what for?
    Me: PAX
    Rob: Oh u lucky son of a.....the wife wont let me go. Fine, i guess i can let ya take the time off.....
    Me: (on the floor dieing of laughter)

Its a requirement that you be on the train trip and at PAX. It just wouldnt be the same without ya man. Tell ur boss that your plans were planned well before she got knocked up so u take priority, LOL.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My time was listed in the vacation book at work as soon as I knew the dates, just in case. Unfortunately, my school and Hubby's potential hospital time may get in the way. I can't get upset about missing PAX if it's because my husband needs surgery, since I'll have more important things to worry about. School, on the other hand... :( It's my last two weeks of my last two classes. Can I really get everything done in time? :(

BrennaCeDria on
    edited February 2009
    My time was listed in the vacation book at work as soon as I knew the dates, just in case. Unfortunately, my school and Hubby's potential hospital time may get in the way. I can't get upset about missing PAX if it's because my husband needs surgery, since I'll have more important things to worry about. School, on the other hand... :( It's my last two weeks of my last two classes. Can I really get everything done in time? :(

The husband should understand. Besides he'll be all drugged up he won't know if you're there or not. And which is more important education or PAX? PAX!! IT'S PAX!!!!

sum10fishy on
  • KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As soon as the dates were announced, it went straight into my Exchange calendar so the whole org could see that I was totally unavailable during PAX.

(Of course, who knows if I'll be working there come September, anyway?)

Kyouteki on
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The husband should understand. Besides he'll be all drugged up he won't know if you're there or not. And which is more important education or PAX? PAX!! IT'S PAX!!!!

Nah, he stayed with me while I was recovering from my surgery last April so I really should take care of him if his surgery gets scheduled. Besides, if the surgery does go down, it won't actually get in the way of PAX, but taking time off to help while he recovers will.

School... I haven't decided yet if that will get in the way or not. Gotta work some things out.

BrennaCeDria on
    edited February 2009

Nah, he stayed with me while I was recovering from my surgery last April so I really should take care of him if his surgery gets scheduled. Besides, if the surgery does go down, it won't actually get in the way of PAX, but taking time off to help while he recovers will.

School... I haven't decided yet if that will get in the way or not. Gotta work some things out.

You could push him around on a hospital bed and say it's coaplay!!

sum10fishy on
    edited February 2009

You could push him around on a hospital bed and say it's coaplay!!

Trauma Center cosplay. Awesome! You could run around and tell people how bad of a doctor they are and that they should just quit and commit suicide.
    That game did so little for my self esteem.

redhalo on
    edited February 2009
    That game did so little for my self esteem.

LOL

sum10fishy on
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    HUZZAH!

I only teach on Tuesdays.
    This makes PAX way more plausible...
    except I'll have to miss at least 1 Graduate seminar.

Whatever.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Mustard TigerMustard Tiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I didn't think I'd be able to go to PAX this year cause of work but someone quit, so I can probably go for 2 days now.

Mustard Tiger on
  • EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    5 Paid days off covers Tuesday (CCST Start day) until Monday (The day after PAX), trading 2 of my shifts for other shifts covers until Wednesday (return home day). In the worst case scenario, I call in sick for 2 days.

Hell, I would use all sick days if I didn't like the idea of being paid to be at PAX.

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
This discussion has been closed.