As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Outdated On] TF2 Thread: The Lockening.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I bought TF2 at $10 but it's so fucking pointless to play right now when half, or at worst, over half, of your team ends up being Scouts.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    LOL GNT NERDS HEH

And when the hell are we going to get the VIP? At the very least, you beautiful admins should enable hunted again. Thems was good times. But so was Cyberpunk and Auto-Taunt, so what do I know?

Also would a new "Meet The" because they, too, are good times.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This happens every class update. They reduce the price of the game when it is at its stupidest. All heavies was epic though. Don't worry, giveit a week or two and it will go back to normal. 10$ is definitly a worhtwhile investment, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That_Guy wrote: »
    With all the new scouts, Natasha should be pretty fun to use.

If you want the "Don't touch sandvich" achievement, now's the time. Outside of that Sasha is still the superior weapon, even against scouts.
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    Also, I'm taking suggestions for stuff to put in the OP. I dont have the luxury of copying stuff out of OPs past since most are locked and i dont want to dig through the source code

You might want to put the "50% off" thing in the title. And in that same vein, a simple rundown of the classes might be nice for any newcomers; you could probably just copy-paste the ones from Goose's ill-fated thread and manually add italic or bold tags.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Orikae does that mean you'll be able to change maps when they're crap, I look forward to that. Because some maps are crap.

Job currently hasn't got changemap or scramble teams as admin commands.

Hint hint.

ps: votescramble never ever works because people are selfish/proud.

Or they're trying to switch fucking weapons in the middle of fighting and die. Which is what always happens to me.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Icemopper wrote: »
    28 Achievements for me, and counting.

All legitimate, thankyewverymuch.

Yeah, what was this earlier about someone losing their scout unlocks? Is Valve punishing people for using the achievement unlocker?

http://www.teamfortress.com/

fail.jpg

FUCK YES. I totally called that shit.

100% free-range achievements here, motherfuckers. :D

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's not $10 this weekend, just until the (I assume) end of Friday.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I used the unlocker, but it works out for me. I got all the scout new toy excitement out of my system already. I'm kinda surprised their punishment for hacking the new weapons was to take them away for just a week.

Now I understand why they made this stuff all in the "Steam Cloud", now they can actually punish people by taking their weapons away.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    28 Achievements for me, and counting.

All legitimate, thankyewverymuch.

Yeah, what was this earlier about someone losing their scout unlocks? Is Valve punishing people for using the achievement unlocker?

http://www.teamfortress.com/

fail.jpg

FUCK YES. I totally called that shit.

100% free-range achievements here, motherfuckers. :D

This picture should be all thats in our servers' MotD for a while.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The punishment should have been more severe than just a week.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I bought TF2 at $10 but it's so fucking pointless to play right now when half, or at worst, over half, of your team ends up being Scouts.

I bought it yesterday and got 4 or 5 Pyro achievements in about half an hour before i had to go to class, thanks to all the Scouts. It's playable but not very pretty in Crossover Games on my iMac; I need to free up some space on my Vista partition before I can see how glorious it looks in DX 10 though.

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »

Yeah, I know, I kind of expected worse.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unlocked the Force-a-Nature last night and had a few minutes with it before leaving. Scored a few quick kills, but it's going to take some getting used to. It's got an impressive capacity as a hit-and-run weapon, and I found myself unloading both shots in succession almost every time. It was pretty annoying trying to drop down on an enemy and fire at them, only to be launched back into the air.

I don't have any opinion yet on whether it's better or worse than the scattergun. I'll be using it for a while and see how I do.

This patch has also marginally improved my skills at scout vs scout, which I am utterly terrible at. So that's something.

cheez on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Seriously, they should have removed them all. A week is like a slap in the face for using third party software to unlock weapons..

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anti-Sean wrote: »

I bought it yesterday and got 4 or 5 Pyro achievements in about half an hour before i had to go to class, thanks to all the Scouts. It's playable but not very pretty in Crossover Games on my iMac; I need to free up some space on my Vista partition before I can see how glorious it looks in DX 10 though.

TF2 is not a DX10 game, so there is really no improvement.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You might want to put the "50% off" thing in the title. And in that same vein, a simple rundown of the classes might be nice for any newcomers; you could probably just copy-paste the ones from Goose's ill-fated thread and manually add italic or bold tags.

yeah i cant copy/paste the formatting so I just put a link to the wiki. if work slows down today I'll go in and flesh it out more.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Playing for a couple of hours last night I now have the FoN and the Sandman, and with only a little messing aboot with only four or five people on HONC.

There's a few more I can get with careful CP play and also just by leaping aboot blasting people. I still haven't finished Pop Fly and Caught Napping.

however

One thing bears noting, and it's sort of a bug that makes it easier to get the Pop Fly achievement:
    If you double jump into some water, all your kills will count as having been made while double jumping as long as you remain swimming. I got like ten this way in Well last night.

edit: I have not yet even begun to work on the Sandman-related achievements, and I still need only one more to get the Bonk!

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I considered using Crossover Games but I already had a copy of XP to use lying around and I didn't want to have to pony up another $80 to use Crossover.

[Edit: Also, I tried a trial of Crossover Games some time back and there were little niggling stuff that bothered me, like when I placed a Sentry the little wireframe for it wouldn't appear as I was placing it.]

That said, my iMac plays the game perfectly with everything on 11 at 1920x1200.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

You guys are looking at this all wrong, the real punishment is finally proving to Davincie that, yes, Valve does consider it cheating.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cheating is punishable by taking away your loot for a whole week!.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do we really want to go to town on this unlocker debate? Because anyone familiar with me knows I have no love for Valve and will gladly take them down in the process of showing some people here just how dumb they are, and how dumb this idea of "earning" weapons from achievements is.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

You guys are looking at this all wrong, the real punishment is finally proving to Davincie that, yes, Valve does consider it cheating.

That is true, all the "I told you so!"s are going to be annoying as hell.

Edit: Even though I never tried to argue that it wasn't cheating.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got my sandman through farming, but there's so many achievements that are "do x 50 times" that it'll be a while before I get my drink.

That said, I LOVE the sandman. The baseball is the funnest thing ever. I'm getting to be a pretty good shot with it at a reasonable range too.

My favourite moment from last night was playing RED on gravelpit. Edcrab just rocket jumped up on the ledge to BLU's spawn when he got stunned. The scout ran up to him to kill him, but then I stunned the scout. Edcrab came out of his stun and gave him a liberal helping of rocket to the face. I laughed so hard.

Asiina on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Urgh I tried playing in a pub and it was the incarnation of all that is wrong with pubs

To quote Tycho (or was it Gabe?) the only trouble with multiplayer games is that you have to play them with other people, and in this case the other people were like caricatures of bad gamers

Usually I think all the "PA servers > pubs" talk is verging on elitist but now I never want to go anywhere near a pub again that was terrible. Terrible.

Also yes Asiina that was most awesome. That's the reason I keep coming back to the PA servers even though I hate mankind.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Do we really want to go to town on this unlocker debate? Because anyone familiar with me knows I have no love for Valve and will gladly take them down in the process of showing some people here just how dumb they are, and how dumb this idea of "earning" weapons from achievements is.

I don't really care, I just want to rub it in Davincie's face.
    Asiina wrote: »
    I got my sandman through farming, but there's so many achievements that are "do x 50 times" that it'll be a while before I get my drink.

That said, I LOVE the sandman. The baseball is the funnest thing ever. I'm getting to be a pretty good shot with it at a reasonable range too.

My favourite moment from last night was playing RED on gravelpit. Edcrab just rocket jumped up on the ledge to BLU's spawn when he got stunned. The scout ran up to him to kill him, but then I stunned the scout. Edcrab came out of his stun and gave him a liberal helping of rocket to the face. I laughed so hard.

Hey Asiina, remember when you were a scout that jumped right in front of my minigun and then got stunned by a baseball? Good times, good times.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm unreasonably excited to get the energy drink tonight. All I need is 10 more FaN back kills.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I considered using Crossover Games but I already had a copy of XP to use lying around and I didn't want to have to pony up another $80 to use Crossover.

[Edit: Also, I tried a trial of Crossover Games some time back and there were little niggling stuff that bothered me, like when I placed a Sentry the little wireframe for it wouldn't appear as I was placing it.]

Oh, I certainly wouldn't recommend Crossover as anything other than a last resort - I just needed a little instant gratification for my purchase. :)

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm unreasonably excited to get the energy drink tonight. All I need is 10 more FaN back kills.

The only good thing about that is the "nananananana" noise the scout makes when you drink it.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

F yooooou

As I stood there all I could think was "whelp I'm fucked".

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Oh, I certainly wouldn't recommend Crossover as anything other than a last resort - I just needed a little instant gratification for my purchase. :)

It does get annoying have to reboot the whole computer just to play a game, and then having to reboot again to do anything else I use the damn thing for.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    the pa > pubs thing IS elitist. however, i dont think it's out of any sort of disdain for normal players, its just the atmosphere is condusive to good playing and teamwork. its more like becoming a chef and hating chain resturaunts. theres nothing really wrong with them, youre just used to higher quality food

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The only good thing about that is the "nananananana" noise the scout makes when you drink it.

YES

i laughed my ass off when i heard that

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

My favourite moment was stunning a cocky scout trying to get away from me as a friendly heavy came around a corner spun up three inches from your face.

edit:

Me and Savoo killing Asiina in hilarious fashions errday.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had to manipulate a lot of balls to make this.

cp_dustbowl0010.jpg

On a more serious note, I really like the new unlocks. This is coming from someone who is never going to get them. Sure, I have had them used against me but having them used in my favor?

That's awesome.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My favourite thing was being an offensive sniper on egypt and shooting hordes of stunned people in the face

Egypt is actually starting to grow on me (despite SGs totally locking it down) but Junction is just such shit.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I will probably hop back onto TF2 now that my Steam account is working again.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    All the new scout dialogue is fucking amazing.

"I eat your sandwiches! I EAT EM UP!"

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Seriously, they should have removed them all. A week is like a slap in the face for using third party software to unlock weapons..

I sincerely doubt they have any way of detecting who exactly has unlocked them and who has earned them, except for guesswork and intuition. I don't know if mine will be taken away from me but I can wait a week if they are; I don't really care.

Plus after a month how exactly would be people be able to know what was legit or not? And who would care?

It's client-side data being manipulated, not server-side. They currently have no way of tracking or monitoring it beyond guessing.

Not an apologist, by the way. I know it's cheating. I just don't really care and think it's a silly system in the first place. But that's another argument, and one that neither helps nor persuades anyone in any way, so let's not have it.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Getting the Scout unlocks taken away is pretty much a gift, rather than a punishment. You don't have to worry about choice and are instead forced to use the good weapons! Hooray!

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »

I sincerely doubt they have any way of detecting who exactly has unlocked them and who has earned them, except for guesswork and intuition. I don't know if mine will be taken away from me but I can wait a week if they are; I don't really care.

Plus after a month how exactly would be people be able to know what was legit or not? And who would care?

It's client-side data being manipulated, not server-side. They currently have no way of tracking or monitoring it beyond guessing.

Not an apologist, by the way. I know it's cheating. I just don't really care and think it's a silly system in the first place. But that's another argument, and one that neither helps nor persuades anyone in any way, so let's not have it.

YOU STARTED IT!!! YOU CAN'T UNSTART IT!!!

Quaz and Wally on
This discussion has been closed.