As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Book Movies (And Games) Thread

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    No worries, folks. The eyepatch has been filled with the man who's supposed to be wearing it.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20178

Goddammit.

Not a big Sam Jackson fan huh?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    While I'm all for making the Marvel Universe more diverse, it irritates me slightly that they have to black up existing characters rather than just make compelling new ones that they don't give up on.

Blah, blah, Ultimate Universe yadda yadda. I'd just prefer more of a 616 take.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    While I'm all for making the Marvel Universe more diverse, it irritates me slightly that they have to black up existing characters rather than just make compelling new ones that they don't give up on.

Isn't this pretty much the only example of the Marvel Universe recreating a character with a new ethnicity?

And personally, I think the fact that Ultimate Nick Fury was given a new background sort of demanded that changes be made to his appearance in order to indicate that he wasn't a WWII vet, but rather a more modern kind of spy.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Isn't this pretty much the only example of the Marvel Universe recreating a character with a new ethnicity?

They also made The Wasp asian in the ultimate U, but no one cares about her.

Midnite on
    edited February 2009

And personally, I think the fact that Ultimate Nick Fury was given a new background sort of demanded that changes be made to his appearance in order to indicate that he wasn't a WWII vet, but rather a more modern kind of spy.

I guess I was kind of thinking about when the Kingpin was black in Daredevil, but that movie was kind of bad anyway.

Okay, so that's two guys. But Nick Fury and the Kingpin are pretty big! (pun not intended on Kingpin harharhar)

Faynor on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "black up" existing characters?

Wow.

Furu on
    edited February 2009
    If I came off as racist, I didn't mean to.

Edit: To clarify, the core of my argument is more that I wish, since it seems like (to me) a fair bit of the stuff they use in the movies are 616-ish (origins and what not) I wish there characters retained it as well.

Faynor on
    edited February 2009
    Midnite wrote: »

They also made The Wasp asian in the ultimate U, but no one cares about her.

Oh yeah, I forgot because they stopped drawing her as Asian after a while.

By the way, Michael Clarke Duncan is the only man alive who could have played Kingpin. Also, Daredevil's supposed to be pretty good if you watch the Director's Cut.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought Daredevil was pretty good in the normal cut.

Also, :^: to Sam Jackson as Fury.

Scooter on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Edit: To clarify, the core of my argument is more that I wish, since it seems like (to me) a fair bit of the stuff they use in the movies are 616-ish (origins and what not) I wish there characters retained it as well.

The Avengers movie is rumored to be directly based on Ultimate vol 1, from what I recall. Because it's both a huge seller, and a good jumping-on point for the uninitiated.

Just be glad Hasselhoff's Nick Fury series never made it beyond the pilot.

HadjiQuest on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Some of my best friends have been blacked up since birth!

so that's how you're comin' off right now, dude. just wanted to let you know.

And for the record, I dig sam jackson as fury and michael clarke duncan as kingpin.

Seriously, who ever heard of an intelligent, intimidating, fat white man?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Ultimate Nick Fury is a WWII vet. The only difference is that while 616 Fury was fighting alongside Cap, Ult. Fury was somewhat scum who was turned into a guinea pig for the super-soldier serum.
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

It wasn't that bad. Plus Lisa Rinna is still pretty high up there as MILFs go.

Crimsondude on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Suicide Squad movie? http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20188

Huh. Could be good, and it could be a good way of promoting some of the more lesser known villains out there who might appear in other characters movies.

Bloods End on
    edited February 2009

Ultimate Nick Fury is a WWII vet. The only difference is that while 616 Fury was fighting alongside Cap, Ult. Fury was somewhat scum who was turned into a guinea pig for the super-soldier serum.
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

It wasn't that bad. Plus Lisa Rinna is still pretty high up there as MILFs go.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Origins.

Still, I'd say the more significant difference between 616 and Ultimate is that the former was fighting on the front lines and serving as one of the military's golden boy whereas Ultimate Fury was the military's dirty secret.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

And for the record, I dig sam jackson as fury and michael clarke duncan as kingpin.

Seriously... who would they have gotten to play the Kingpin? Louie Anderson? work some technical know-how and reanimate Chris Farley or John Candy?

And seriously, who could play a good 616 Nick Fury now? Samuel L. Jackson will be awesome as Fury.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited February 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Seriously... who would they have gotten to play the Kingpin? Louie Anderson? work some technical know-how and reanimate Chris Farley or John Candy?

And seriously, who could play a good 616 Nick Fury now?

George Clooney.

Bloods End on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

And seriously, who could play a good 616 Nick Fury now? Samuel L. Jackson will be awesome as Fury.
    Clint Eastwood.

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited February 2009
    Ruins wrote: »

Clint Eastwood.

He could spend the entire movie being intolerant towards people with disabilities only to have his opinions changed by a young Hmong boy named Daredevil.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited February 2009
    Really?

The man has built an entire career on both being a cowboy and a loose cannon cop on the edge and you choose the latest of his movies to reference?

Do better.

Bloods End on
    edited February 2009
    He does nothing for two hours and then in the last twenty minutes he kills everyone.

Crimsondude on
    edited February 2009
    See? Do it like that.

Bloods End on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    man clint eastwood would make an awesome nick fury ten years ago. Jackson is a fine choice, and his characterization in Ultimates is great. I loved his annual about the assassin who's out to get him.

Langly on
    edited February 2009
    I keep getting the impression Nick is almost de-aging. He keeps getting younger looking from twenty years ago to Secret War to SI and now in Secret Warriors.

Crimsondude on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I keep getting the impression Nick is almost de-aging. He keeps getting younger looking from twenty years ago to Secret War to SI and now in Secret Warriors.

Well, he does have that formula in him (Infinity Formula? something like that) that is supposed to mess w/ his aging...

mattharvest on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Obviously a ploy to get a Power Pack / Nick Fury crossover mini in print, once he de-ages enough.

Wildcat on
    edited February 2009
    Nick Fury isn't allowed to smoke cigars anymore because of Quesada's thing against smoking, right?

Robos A Go Go on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    god that rule is so lame

Langly on
    edited February 2009
    Yep.

Well, he does have that formula in him (Infinity Formula? something like that) that is supposed to mess w/ his aging...

Right. But mine is more of a commentary on art style.

Though that would be funny, since Natalia has a version herself, for Cap to end up becoming a kid toucher.

Crimsondude on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    While I stumbled across him in some older comics through the years, the main vision that comes to mind when I think of Nick Fury is either that shown in the Ultimate Universe or brief appearances in Astonishing X-Men. I'd accept either version, but was happy with Sam Jackson showing up in Iron Man / The Hulk, so keeping him around just makes sense.

Of course, I also think it'd be funny to have David Hasslehoff show up for one of them, only to peel off his face Mission Impossible style, revealing Jackson underneath.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Wolverine and the X-Men version of Fury is kind of cool.

He's a merged composite of Ultimate Fury and 616 Fury.

Edit:
    Here:
    lineup1.jpg

HadjiQuest on
    edited February 2009
    Morgan Freeman, Hulk, Wolverine, and some retarded kid.

Best team evers.

Bloods End on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »

Best team evers.
    Well if you want to get the film tie-in, you've got to get the Shia LaBoeuf character in somewhere.

Wildcat on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

from that same article

"Total Recall, the 1990 Paul Verhoeven-directed Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi action vehicle based on the Phillip K. Dick story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" is headed back to the big screen. Columbia is in final negotiations to develop and produce a remake."

so unnecessary.

Angry on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    man fuck that

SUICIDE SQUAD MOVIE

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited February 2009
    I didn't like the "and the x-men" nick fury at all. He lacked the fury persona and when he first showed up, I thought he was G.W. Bridge.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Angry wrote: »

from that same article

"Total Recall, the 1990 Paul Verhoeven-directed Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi action vehicle based on the Phillip K. Dick story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" is headed back to the big screen. Columbia is in final negotiations to develop and produce a remake."

so unnecessary.

How can you remake perfection? Seriously... "Get your ass to mars" should have replaced "hello" as the standard greeting.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Angry wrote: »

from that same article

so unnecessary.

How can you remake perfection? Seriously... "Get your ass to mars" should have replaced "hello" as the standard greeting.

YOu just know that it will become "get your butt to mars" and no more three breasted hooker. THese remakes, none have improved over the original, we need a nuke to go off in Hollywood.

DarkWarrior on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »

Best team evers.

The retarded kid is Bruce Banner.

Edit: Iron Man Animated Series Trailer: http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6388&Itemid=99

devoir on
    edited February 2009
    looks generic. is it done by the reboot guys?

ManonvonSuperock on
This discussion has been closed.