As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW: 2-25-2009 - My name is Clint Barton, and I am an Avenger.

Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Graphic Violence
New Avengers was great.

I also managed to get both the last issue and current issue of Thunderbolts. It's shaping up to be pretty good.

Sharp101 on

• Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dude, wrong date in the title.

So far I've read She-Hulk, Blue Beetle, and Robin. All of which were awesome.

:( Sigh.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    New Avengers was glorious.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    New Avengers was decent. All the frame repeating was definitely made up for by having all the artists for the heroes do their own one-two pages.

But my Moment of the Week probably would have been... All of Wolverine: First Class.
    Wolverine tearing up? Awwww

kfrooster on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Blue Beetle #36
    Beetle's fighting the Khaji Da Revolutionary Army up in space, when the scarab informs Jaime that he can cut power to KDRA and itself, though it may not reboot properly due to being damaged by magic.

"If I do not successfully reboot --

BlueBeetle36B.jpg

Later, after Jaime's neutralized the KDRA, the scene shifts over to the holographic dummy that Jaime had been using, which was designed by one Ted Kord.

BlueBeetle36A.jpg

Annnnd, there's a hint towards future happenings.

BlueBeetle36C.jpg

Why Hector, what's that on the back of your neck?

And why is a large heavyset man holding a plush doll?

Munch on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, the frame repeating thing in New Avengers was a little weird. Anyone else notice how it looked like Captain America was staring at both Ms. Marvel's and Mockingbird's ass for three whole panels?

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ... because he can.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ... because wouldn't you?

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Umbrella Academy was tits this week, as usual.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wasn't really into New Avengers. It was pretty, but nothing happened beyond the cast finding out things we already knew such as the identities of the Dark Avengers and the Hood/Osborn alliance.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    yeah it was a pretty bendis issue

also im getting tired of that whole "let's show the same scene from a different perspective" thing

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Semi-spoilery. Mostly just rambling.
    Mighty Avengers seemed a bit better than last time, but I really just want him to come out and say "Here's my stupid explanation for Wanda. Okay? Okay. Now here's the avengers taking shit down." Pym was more bearable, and U.S. Agent being the biggest douchebag on the team was so true. Oh hey, the world's exploding, I'M GONNA TACKLE HERCULES. Once the first art sorts itself out, I kind of hope Quicksilver is on the team too. I wouldn't mind that.

Thunderbolts was okay as usual, kind of miss the old team. :( I loved the thing with Songbird at the end.

Initiative was pretty good, I was hoping Thor would make it into the story and it looks like they're setting it up. I wonder where it's going with MVP though. Not sure how the Initiative is going to survive with Ragnarok fucking up Stamford and now the whole "We hid an accidental death, oops!" thing coming to light.

Nova was pretty great too. Worldmind is a dick. I think I made a MOTW thread with that title once. Vindication.

I'm kind of where Robos was at with the New Avengers. Nothing really happened that we didn't know about, and as much as I liked the idea of the Dark Avengers fighting them, it was kind of cool to see just how much Norman plans ahead with the whole "I'm not going to beat up Captain America." Clint's reaction at the end was pretty spectacular.

That's all I've read so far. Hoping Captain America is good.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So many great books I read, New and Mighty Avengers, Cap, Nova, and FF to name a few, but Sonic Universe #1 is my MotW.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    Dude, wrong date in the title.

Whoops. Fixed.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i have a theory about that one Thunderbolt from last month's cover that we still don't know about yet.

Deadpool.

this week was pretty great. Thunderbolts, Green Lantern, Herc, USM, the end of New Avengers and Nova were all fantastic

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I enjoyed New Avengers primarily for the fact that Aja was like "fuck that Iron Fist collar, I'm gonna draw my badass redesign"

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i have a theory about that one Thunderbolt from last month's cover that we still don't know about yet.

Deadpool.

this week was pretty great. Thunderbolts, Green Lantern, Herc, USM, the end of New Avengers and Nova were all fantastic

Deadpool's book would suggest otherwise, he's kind of pissed at Norman right now

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »

Deadpool.

Deadpool's book would suggest otherwise, he's kind of pissed at Norman right now

have you even been reading it? the next arc in both books is a crossover between the two. i think the way that Norman is gonna get around Deadpool exposing him is offer him a place on the Thunderbolts roster at the end of the arc

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »

Deadpool.

have you even been reading it? the next arc in both books is a crossover between the two. i think the way that Norman is gonna get around Deadpool exposing him is offer him a place on the Thunderbolts roster at the end of the arc

Haven't been reading Thunderbolts, have been reading Deadpool. I'm hoping Deadpool is better then to be a Thunderbolt for Norman.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DC Nation
    40f66f4f-d4ef-4eef-bebb-1e89273301d9.Medium.jpg

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Last page of Thunderbolts got me excited.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DC Nation

hot damn.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    McCly wrote: »
    DC Nation

hot damn.
    Looks sweet, but odds are that it's simply a flashback to IC.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Captain America had a different artist this month, and he drew Natasha really weird. I didn't much care for the art and I hope they bring back one of the regulars next issue.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That's wierd. With Epting and Ross trading back and forth, you'd think there wouldn't be a need for fill-in art.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah the artist was someone named Butch Guice who I have never heard of before, and like I said, he drew Natasha really weird.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hahaha

Dude. Really? Epting hasn't been on Cap since issue #35 (save for covers). Guess who has been drawing it since? Butch Guice. He and Epting have done co-artist duties on the book for a while, and IIRC he was originally the inker for Cap #32-24. I mean, I guess it's fair to mistake him for Epting because they are similar. even so much that I accidentally e-mailed Epting about how Tony was drawn only to have him remind me that Guice drew that issue.

Deadpool.

The fact that the Thunderbolts/Deadpool crossover "Magnum Opus" is a conflict directly between the two, which then leads into a showdown between Deadpool and Hawkeye/Bullseye would suggest otherwise.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Uhhhh...

Epting was credited as being the artist as recently as last issue, #46.

Edit: And as a follow-up, Natasha looked WAAAAY better last issue than she did this month.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butch Juice is an awesome name.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anti-MOTW: JSA & the re-appearance of Mary Marvel in the FC "Desaad-fetish" gear. What the hell? Last we saw in FC, Mary swore to never say the word again, and it was assumed that Desaad was purged from her, right? So who in the blue hell decided it would be a great idea to re-use that costume- which only made sense within the FC story?

This especially makes no sense seeing the preview of next month's cover with her in the black suit... Who the hell is in charge of this shit?

Tach on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Do you really expect better editorial oversight from DC at this point?

bless

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    Anti-MOTW: JSA & the re-appearance of Mary Marvel in the FC "Desaad-fetish" gear. What the hell? Last we saw in FC, Mary swore to never say the word again, and it was assumed that Desaad was purged from her, right? So who in the blue hell decided it would be a great idea to re-use that costume- which only made sense within the FC story?

This especially makes no sense seeing the preview of next month's cover with her in the black suit... Who the hell is in charge of this shit?

I haven't read it, but given that previews had already shown her as Black Mary, I assumed her "I'll never use the word again" stuff was just temporary trauma and that she'd be happy to do it once she was confident Desaad was gone (which he must be, since all the Apokalips gods are dead, now).

My bet is:
    Black Adam will bring her back into his family, since she already used those gods once before, and in the process confirm for her that Desaad is gone. Maybe, just maybe, they'll use her as herself instead of 'darkening' her soul or whatever.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tach wrote: »

It was pretty obvious that there was no way in Hells she wouldn't say the word again, if only because she is the best Marvel. I agree on the costume.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah- my complaint about it is the re-use of the fetish costume. They did briefly show Mary talking with Adam and Isis in the last pages of the last JSA issue.

I'll likely be dropping JSA anyways, I only started due to the KC Superman intro, and that's finished now.

Tach on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hey guys who have read blue beetle already
    did anyone die

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hey guys who have read blue beetle already
    did anyone die

There are complete spoilers (including a tie-in with a certain related series) up on scans_daily.

Short answer:
    yes. The girl everyone's been predicting would die, did in fact die.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wonder Woman was pretty good, if savage. Am I the only one reading it?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Wonder Woman was pretty good, if savage. Am I the only one reading it?
    Didn't read the latest one yet, but it's been a whole lot more grim than usual. Although Genocide is so ridiculous that I kind of overlook that.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    skylinerskyliner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah the artist was someone named Butch Guice who I have never heard of before, and like I said, he drew Natasha really weird.

Not a big Micronauts fan then? :P

skyliner on
  • Options
    skylinerskyliner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butch Juice is an awesome name.

It's Guice, pronounced something like Guy-ce, not Juice. Does that make it any less cool? :P

skyliner on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I've really enjoyed the dark turn that Wonder Woman has taken. Other than the 2 issue mini-arc about the movie thing (which was horrible), I would say that the entire Gail Simone run has been pretty tops. I'm enjoying this Rise of the Olympian arc. And I think my favorite arc so far has been the one where she was battling that demon dude and fighting to get her soul back.

Re: this week's issue --
    What's up with Zeus ripping the dude's heart out. Zeus seems to be a bit crazy right now.

Lucascraft on