As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Im new to D&D and i just have a few questions.

XyresXyres Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Critical Failures
I play 3.5 and i was just wondering if there are any movies or something that will help a new player grasp how to do things, almost like a recording of a game where they tell you why things are happening or what skill check to use with what modifier. Unfortunately no one that i know has played D&D so its up to me to get started. And this might sound like a noob question, but i don't get how the four sided die works.

xyresjpgmv6.jpg
GT: Xyres
PSN: Xyres92
Xyres on

• ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The PA/PVP Podcasts are the best intro I've found other than the books, but honestly the 4E books are very user-friendly if you just read them like an actual book, especially the first couple chapters of the PHB and DMG.

the 4-sided die works one of three ways. If it is a pyramid die, the same number is either printed all the way around the peak or the base when you roll it. if peak, the number at the top of the "pyramid" is your roll.. if on the base, the number around the bottom is your roll. I believe there is another, rectangular prism-shaped d4, I know nothing of it's works, though I'm guessing it would just be the number facing up.

Themindtaker on
  • XyresXyres Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ok, thanks for the tips, but at the moment im not in a financial position to go out and buy all of the DM guide, Monster manual, and players handbook all over again just so i can play 4.0. But it is a pyramid die so im guessing the number i use the base. But is it the addition of all the numbers at the bottom, or just the number around the bottom?

Xyres on
    xyresjpgmv6.jpg
  • Prester JohnPrester John Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    honestly the 4E books are very user-friendly if you just read them like an actual book, especially the first couple chapters of the PHB and DMG.
    Xyres wrote: »
    I play 3.5

Xyres -- have you actually already paid for the 3.5 books? 'cause if not, Themindtaker's right that the 4e rules are really easy to use.

Especially compared to 3.5.

Prester John on
    edited February 2009
    honestly the 4E books are very user-friendly if you just read them like an actual book, especially the first couple chapters of the PHB and DMG.
    I play 3.5

Xyres -- have you actually already paid for the 3.5 books? 'cause if not, Themindtaker's right that the 4e rules are really easy to use.

Especially compared to 3.5.

*Ahem* Yes, I just kinda glossed over that part. Starting someone on 3.5 now is such a foreign concept to me, I thought you meant you were looking to try 4E. My bad, apologies all around.

With that in mind, My only applicable advice is concerning the d4.
    It's just the number, not the sum.

Themindtaker on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Looks like he's had the 3rd edition books for a while.

A 4-sided dice will have the same number all long each point or on each side of the base; if the numbers on the top point are the same, those are your result. If the numbers long the base are the same, you use that number.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    122779.jpg

If your d4 looks like this, with numbers on the corners, than the result would be a "4" because that's the number at the peak of the pyramid
    3401-0042-full;init:.jpg

If, on the other hand, it look like this (spoilered for big pic), with the numbers on the edges rather than the vertices (corners), then the result would also be "4" for this roll, because that is the number on the base of the pyramid

Hopefully this helps and isn't too confusing.

Marshmallow on
    edited February 2009
    Well, im not really sure where to start, because now im thinking that i just just wait for the 2nd edition of 4.0, because the only book i own of 3.5 is the for dummy's book and PHB, and my friend owns the moster manual and the DM book. Does anyone know when those are coming out?

*Sigh* So confusing.

Xyres on
    xyresjpgmv6.jpg
    edited February 2009
    122779.jpg

If your d4 looks like this, with numbers on the corners, than the result would be a "4" because that's the number at the peak of the pyramid
    3401-0042-full;init:.jpg

If, on the other hand, it look like this (spoilered for big pic), with the numbers on the edges rather than the vertices (corners), then the result would also be "4" for this roll, because that is the number on the base of the pyramid

Hopefully this helps and isn't too confusing.

That helped me understand! Thank you. :D

Xyres on
    xyresjpgmv6.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Well, im not really sure where to start, because now im thinking that i just just wait for the 2nd edition of 4.0, because the only book i own of 3.5 is the for dummy's book and PHB. Does anyone know when those are coming out?

*Sigh* So confusing.

Second edition? If you mean the PHB II, my understanding is that it's meant to be an addendum to the first PHB, not a replacement.

I know it gets bogged down with a lot of technical questions, but if you head to the main 4E discussion thread, the first post has a number of helpful resources and descriptions of what you would need to get started with the new edition. Yes, it's pricey, but as i understand it, most iterations of this game are.

EDIT: Okay, or what delroland said.

Themindtaker on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, im not really sure where to start, because now im thinking that i just just wait for the 2nd edition of 4.0, because the only book i own of 3.5 is the for dummy's book and PHB. Does anyone know when those are coming out?

*Sigh* So confusing.

D&D 3rd edition came out in 2000, it was updated with 3.5 edition core books in 2004. Just last summer 4th edition basically replaced it (in terms of what the company is releasing and supporting; people still play older editions here and there).

To the best of my knowledge there's no plan in sight for a 4.5 revision of D&D, and it probably wouldn't show up for another fours years at this rate. The 4th Edition PHB II and DMG II on the near horizon are supplements with extra, separate material (like additional races and classes). They won't be essential unless you want to use stuff found in one or the other.

You'd be best finding a group to either play 3.5 with or to pick up a PHB for 4th ($23 from Amazon) and get into that with less difficulty. You'd only need the player's book unless you're going to serve as Dungeon Master.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited February 2009
    Ok, so for now, using the resources that i have, would i be able to run a working game with 3.5, or would it just be a good idea for me to buck up, and dish out the money for the first editions of the 4th edition? Would me and my party have more fun, and understand it with more ease if i were to use 4.0?

Xyres on
    xyresjpgmv6.jpg
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A good resource for beginners as well is to track down some pre-made adventures, reading them will give you a good look at what your DM is trying to keep track of and accomplish when you play.

Furthermore, it'll give you an idea of when to use your skills (it will most likely have sections like "If the players use their Search skill here they can find..."), what to do in combat, and how the plot unfolds with the players involvement.

Just make sure that if you read a pre-made adventure it's not one your DM was planning on using themselves because it would be terrible to ruin the surprises.

EDIT: If you're the one planning on DM'ing, I would doubly recommend picking up a pre-made. Even if you don't end up using it, it will show you how to plan out an adventure and possibly give you ideas on making an adventure of your own.

Marshmallow on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    3.5 edition and 4th edition are completely different games that use similar terminology. Learning one won't help you learn the other (and it might even hurt). There are more similarities between 2nd and 3rd edition than 3rd and 4th. I wouldn't say one or the other is easier to learn. 4th edition has more of a "board game" feel to it, but it's still very much a roleplaying game.

There are two resources to get 3.5 edition resources absolutely free. One is the d20 SRD, which has been posted already (reposted here just for completion):
    http://www.d20srd.org/

The other is Pathfinder (Beta), which is produced by Paizo Publishing and is available free:
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG

Pathfinder has some variations on the 3.5 rules, but most of the changes are for the better. I'd use the regular 3rd edition XP/leveling table, though, instead of the wacky numeric progression that Pathfinder attempts. Pathfinder makes the XP table a non-arithmetic progression, while 3rd edition makes it so that the amount of XP that you need to get to the next level is always Your Current Level x 1000 above the previous level. So 1000 XP for Level 1 to Level 2, 3000 XP (1000+2000XP) for Level 2 to Level 3, 6000 XP (1000+2000+3000 XP) for Level 3 to 4, etc.

Using the resources that you currently have, you have WAY more than enough to run a full 3.5 campaign from 1 to 20.

Also, Wizards has a lot of free premade adventures if you need some help:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b&page=1

The main problem I see is that they use a LOT of acronyms and abbreviations, some of which may be foreign to a new group starting for the first time.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited February 2009
    Ok, well, then i think for the time being, i will just use 3.5, and then when i have the money, and we are all more use to the core mechanics of the game i will pick up 4.0. And also, i am looking though the PHB but im not seeing any abilitys for fighters and rouges. Do they just not have any? Or am i looking in the wrong place?

Xyres on
    xyresjpgmv6.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Also, if you are interested in trying out 4E before buying the books, you can pick up the adventure "H1: Keep on the Shadowfell", which has quick start rules and pregen characters. There's also the 4E starter kit, available at any game store, that has player and monster tokens, a mini-adventure, and a smattering of colored paperboard dungeon tiles. Edit: oh, and dice.

delroland on
    edited February 2009
    Ok, well, then i think for the time being, i will just use 3.5, and then when i have the money, and we are all more use to the core mechanics of the game i will pick up 4.0. And also, i am looking though the PHB but im not seeing any abilitys for fighters and rouges. Do they just not have any? Or am i looking in the wrong place?
    Fighters don't have "spells". Instead, they get "bonus feats". Every character gets feats at 3rd, 6th, 9th, etc. character level. Fighters, get MORE feats on top of that, and access to many feats that non-Fighters cannot have. Rogues get bonus Sneak Attack damage every odd level, and they get bonuses against traps. They also get special abilities only available to Rogues at 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th levels. Also, Rogues are the king of skill points. If you want to play a character that has a lot of skills, play a Rogue.

Again, 3.5 edition and 4th edition are completely different games. Learning 3.5 edition won't help you learn 4th edition and vice versa. It's perfectly alright to stick with 3.5 edition for as long as you continue to play DnD.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited February 2009
    And if you want powers for your fighters and rogues, play 4E.

delroland on
    edited February 2009
    I created a character and played 2-3 games of 4th edition at my local game store before I finally bought a PHB (I wanted to create a second character for dungeon delve night and needed to do it over the weekend).

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited February 2009
    Ok, well, in that case i think i will pick up the 4th edition of the players hand book and all that. I read up on and it just seems like a simpler game. But back to my question above, where can i find skills for fighters, rogues and barbarians?

Nevermind, it was awnsered. And that confirms that im getting 4E. :P

Xyres on
    xyresjpgmv6.jpg
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

In 3.5 (and all previous editions), non-spellcasters like fighters and rogues don't get abilities. They have good melee options generally, and something else to try to balance them out. For example, the fighter gets tons and tons of Feats compared to most other classes, and the rogue gets lots and lots of Skills.

In 4e this changes. Every class has a set of powers that define it. Wizards and clerics still have their magical spells, fighters have a suite of martial exploits, etc etc.

edit~ beated :P

fadingathedges on
    edited February 2009
    Note that many combat feats in 3.5 edition work like at-will powers in 4th edition, just named differently. If anything, magic spells were brought more in-line with feats. Fighters and Rogues do get special abilities, they just don't work like "spells".

EDIT: If you have the money for it, 4th edition is well-worth buying for your first tabletop RPG experience. The previous posts made it sound like you didn't have the money for it, which would make the free 3.5 options out there more viable.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For reference, here is a character sheet for a level 11 fighter in a play-by-post game here on the board.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=103887

About halfway down is his power list. Despite the shorthand you can probably get the basic idea of what they do and how they work.

fadingathedges on
    edited February 2009
    You guys have been so helpful! Well, i am going to pick up 4E then, because it sounds like a very fun experience when i was listening to the PA D&D podcast. For now i think all my questions have been answered. :D

Xyres on
    xyresjpgmv6.jpg
    edited February 2009
    You guys have been so helpful! Well, i am going to pick up 4E then, because it sounds like a very fun experience when i was listening to the PA D&D podcast. For now i think all my questions have been answered. :D
    Roleplaying games in general are fun, regardless of what you play. God knows, I love my weekly Castle Falkenstein and Earthdawn games. It doesn't matter what system you are using, as long as everyone is enjoying it.

If you have any questions at all about how to set up a game or running an encounter, you can always come back here and ask. Everyone in this forum is most helpful.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • spellchromespellchrome Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Roleplaying games in general are fun, regardless of what you play. God knows, I love my weekly Castle Falkenstein and Earthdawn games. It doesn't matter what system you are using, as long as everyone is enjoying it.

Hahnsoo1 – What version of Earth Dawn do you play? I played a bunch of 1st Edition when it originally came out. I really liked it.

Xyres – Let us know when you’ve picked up 4thEd, and what you think. I have yet to pick 4thED up, but I’ve briefly paged through the main book and thought it had some outstanding art.

spellchrome on
    edited February 2009
    There is some very good art in the books (particularly Howard Lyon's), there's also some really bad art. With as easily-smudged is the ink in the current publications I wonder if I could simply wash off all of William O'Connor's character pieces in my PHB.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited February 2009
    I'm currently playing the Redbrick version of Earthdawn Classic. It's almost identical to 1st edition, with the exception of a handful of talents and skills (rebalanced because they were too cheesy). Steel Thought works like Avoid Blow now. Quickblade only ignores initiative penalties if it's a talent and not a skill. Acrobatic Strike now causes Strain instead of a Karma Cost. The list of changes isn't actually very long, and most of the changes are more functional (like skills now working off of an arithmetic progression instead of having a weird gap at around 4th/5th rank). 1st edition characters are completely compatible with EDC.

The nice thing about Redbrick Earthdawn is the way they've set up the manuals. Nearly every rule in the 1st ed game has been compiled into a massive Player's Handbook, GM's Handbook, and Name-Giver's Compendium. You don't even need the last one unless you are playing a Name-Giver-specific discipline.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • The Queen PenguinThe Queen Penguin Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    When I was new to playing DnD, it helped to have a short "cheat sheet" 1 page with the basics.... i.e. Initiative=d20 + Initiative modifier___________ with space to fill it in. I know it is a bit redundant to the character sheet, but it really helped me. Also when I was playing a spellcaster, I liked to summarize the relevant info into 1 sentance each and attach it to my character sheet. I had the books myself, but it was tedious to look it up EVERY time since I was new.

Hope this helps!

The Queen Penguin on
  • spellchromespellchrome Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, the Earth Dawn first edition had some balancing issues. Pretty good for an initial release though - got more right than wrong. Earth Dawn is a cool game and setting, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of love (that I've seen anyway). Tempted to grab (order) a current copy.

Utsanomiko - you raise an interesting note about the art and inkyness of 4th ED DnD. Less smudging with old black and white books (although TSR / WOTC have been colour for a long time, but others weren't in the 90's.) I even kind of like the look of high contrast pictures with large pools of back and white.

spellchrome on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, the Earth Dawn first edition had some balancing issues. Pretty good for an initial release though - got more right than wrong. Earth Dawn is a cool game and setting, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of love (that I've seen anyway). Tempted to grab (order) a current copy.
    Personally, the only thing that Earthdawn really gets "wrong", in my opinion, is its crazy Difficulty Number table. The fact that you absolutely need this table in order to resolve Good, Excellent, and Extraordinary successes mars an otherwise stellar game. In our gaming group, we play on Maptools, and I have all of the Difficulty Number tables programmed into macros, so it runs smoothly even with this particular flaw. Every "Step" number of the rolls represents the average roll of the dice you use. This allows you to compare Ranks and bonuses in a linear fashion (a Step 5 +2 bonus is functionally identical to a Step 7 roll), and thus you can mix and match them (an optional rule under Redbrick). The probabilities are easier to calculate in d20, of course, mostly due to Earthdawn's exploding dice rolls (which is most of the fun of the game, I think).

Healing Surges in 4E? Earthdawn did it, with Recovery Tests. At-will powers? Earthdawn did it, with Talents. Action Points? Earthdawn did it, with Karma Points. The only thing 4E didn't crib from Earthdawn, it seems, is the exploding dice. Not that they ACTUALLY stole the ideas from Earthdawn, mind you. But Earthdawn had a lot of excellent game mechanics at a far earlier time. I also like the fact that defenses are divided into Physical, Spell, and Social defense. It makes Charisma a more useful stat than just charming the NPCs.

Plus, the T'skrang are possibly the coolest fantasy race ever created, and not just because they are "lizardmen." Their culture and society is quite unique.

If you ever decide to run an Earthdawn campaign, go with the Redbrick stuff. They have high quality books with 500 pages of content per book! All of the rules from every 1st ed Earthdawn supplement combined in them, too.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png