As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reformatting Windows XP without original CD

Weapon XWeapon X Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So basically a few weeks ago I got some generic trojans on my computer. I have Trend Micro Internet Security installed, and its been fairly reliable. Except that somehow this trojan got through via a download and Trend Micro didn't notice the file was infected. I've determined where I picked it up in the first place...a seemingly harmless program install (nothing pirated mind you). I seem to have gotten rid of them through help of the internet and a few virus scanning programs. But now my computer is acting strange and pitifully slow and I feel like I need to reformat as soon as I can before it shuts down permanently. I've had the computer for about 5 or so years now, and I have totally lost the original Windows XP Home install disc. I still have my original Product Key (its on a sticker on the computer itself).

My question is,
1) Would I be able to download and burn a Windows XP Home install through nefarious means and still be able to install using my initial Product Key?
2) Am I going to have to go to a friend and borrow a CD etc.
3) Do I even need to reformat at all? Aside from potential virus/trojans hidden in my computer, it would also be nice to have a clean sweep since I know this computer has a lot of useless crap on it.

Let me know if you need more information, thanks in advance. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Weapon X on

• Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Microsoft's official stance is "We don't care what disk you use, but it has to be a key licensed to you"

So, options 1 or 2 is the best bet, although if your willing to dick around in msconfig, you could probably clean up most everything, but a restore is always nice every so often

blakfeld on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ That will help you find the product keys for everything installed on your machine.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg