As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Countdown: Out with a whimper

Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm aRegistered User, Disagreeable regular
edited May 2008 in Graphic Violence
Newsarama wrote:
While DC apparently held it from the online release of their May solicitations last week, it appears as if the publisher’s next big weekly DC Universe project will debut in May, and will be released in reverse order for one year until another unnamed DC event.

Called Countdown, Direct Market comic book retailers have received the solicitation for the first four issues in a preview of the full Diamond Previews catalog arriving in stores next week. Here is the text sent to retailers…

COUNTDOWN 51-48
Written by Paul Dini and others
Breakdowns by Keith Giffen
51 written by Paul Dini; art by Jesus Saiz
50 written by Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray; art by Jim Calafiore
49 written by Tony Bedard; art by Carlos Magno
48 written by Adam Beechen; art by David Lopez
Covers by Andy Kubert & Tim Townshend

The event of the year is here! This brand-new, year-long weekly series features a cast of hundreds where anything goes! With head writer Paul Dini and a rotating team of some of the industry’s best writers and artists, COUNTDOWN will serve as the backbone of the DCU in 2007.

When a character dies in COUNTDOWN 51, it sets off an unexpected ripple that will touch virtually every character in the DC Universe.

The COUNTDOWN is on…so begins the end!
COUNTDOWN 51 on sale May 9
COUNTDOWN 50 on sale May 16
COUNTDOWN 49 on sale May 23
COUNTDOWN 48 on sale May 30
32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Good news: Paul Dini
Bad news: $3 a week

And it all has to do with this image:

bigteaserfulltbf0.jpg

ctdwcv51rv2.jpg

Garlic Bread on

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well I missed the boat on 52 and I have been gravitating towards DC more and more after hardly ever reading their stuff before. I might have to pick up an issue or 2 and see how I like it.

Marathon on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    Paul Dini kills The Statue of Liberty in issue 1

shockwaves ripple throughout the DCU

the Crime Syndicate shows up at the ruins and they all cry

Garlic Bread on
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Dini brings the DCAU into the official DC multiverse.

Terrorbyte on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, as much as I like Paul Dini writing comics, wasn't DC going to hold of on major events, like right after IKoF?

I mean, that was sort of the point of One Year Later right? To put all that stuff behind them?

Sars_Boy on
    edited February 2007
    Previews cover featuring Countdown.

And here's what Rich Johnston has to say:
    Well, DC kept the solicitations for previously LITG'd "Countdown" issues 51,50,49 and 48 out of the solicitation listings they sent to the press, but they remained in the online catalogue and can be seen here, priced at $2.99 each, with a poster, as well as a signed version of #51 from Dynamic Forces.

What hasn't been seen yet are the solicitation details. Well, I can tell you that each issue will have a different creative team, with Paul Dini acting as "showrunner," "52"'s Keith Giffen providing breakdowns and Andy Kubert and Tim Townsend providing covers.

Looking at May's issues, the first issue, #51, is written by Paul Dini and drawn by Jesus Saiz. "Hawkman" team Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray write the next issue, drawn by Jim Califiore. Then Tony Bedard writes, with Carlos Magno on art and finally Adam Beecham writes #48 with art from David Lopez.

This seems like a perfect way for DC to carry over the large audience that "52" carved out for itself and for lots of happy retailers. Expect lots of early incentives to keep them on board as as well.

Also expect to hear plenty more details about this from DC at NYCC and in this week's Previews. It's notable that on the Diamond website, there is no available "back cover" image file for Previews. Yet. I understand that will update on Thursday.

It's okay, that's what I'm here for.

Terrorbyte on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Goddamnit DC.

The Muffin Man on
    edited February 2007
    I love how people get all pissed off at the idea of buying a weekly comic when they're already used to buying comics in general every week (unlike, say, music or movies or whatever). Seems like a natural fit and the market agrees, if 52 is any indication.

Terrorbyte on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    I've no problem with buying another weekly comic. I've enjoyed 52, and Countdown looks to be a lot better (not just because of Paul Dini)

(yes just because of Paul Dini)

but I wish it was still at $2.50 a week

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    I guess. I probably won't even notice the extra $2.00 a month. I mean, 50 cents is barely a round-off for my weekly purchases, anyway.

Terrorbyte on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote: »
    I love how people get all pissed off at the idea of buying a weekly comic when they're already used to buying comics in general every week (unlike, say, music or movies or whatever). Seems like a natural fit and the market agrees, if 52 is any indication.

Because 52 issues of a monthly goes somewhere.

A weekly can go "Eh, you know what? Fuck this. Let's just take a few weeks off and phone it in."
    And then you get "week 30. SUPERMAN BUYS THE PAPER!" "Week 49, OLLIE DECIDES TO GET PIZZA!"

The Muffin Man on
    edited February 2007
    Uh, okay. I've many a 52 issue monthly run that have been far, far worse in terms of plot and pacing than 52. I don't know exactly what that proves, but it seems to be just as much of a pointless comparison as your little comment.

Terrorbyte on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A weekly is a fine idea, I just really don't like how it was implemented in 52.

deadonthestreet on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is that Ion floating next to Wonder Woman?

Damn it, since I'm so gay for all things Green Lantern right now, I may have to look into this if Kyle and Hal figure prominently into the story. If the GLC gets involved, I do believe my wallet will cry.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Previews cover featuring Countdown.

And here's what Rich Johnston has to say:

Interesting that among the heroes on the cover is the Red Hood. Any thoughts on that, ladies and gentleman?

Owenashi on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey, I got the art breakdowns right!

Go me!

Bloods End on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited February 2007
    this is, uh

actually kind of upsetting

Whippy on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Why is this upsetting, SirWhipsalot? You don't have any money left?

Bloods End on
    edited February 2007
    I like all of the characters on that picture a lot (save for Red Robin), so it interests me

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    Dini brings the DCAU into the official DC multiverse.

I think it'd be neat if they made an "Earth Beyond" and just had it in the setting of Batman Beyond (although not necessarily in the DCAU)

It'd be a good "Ultimate" universe

Garlic Bread on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't think every story taking place outside of a mainstream universe needs to be considered its own Earth or universe, or at least not right off the bat.

robosagogo on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    +1 for DC again.

Wizard interview with Dini

Jimmy Olsen vs. The Joker?

New Gods?

Yeah, I'll buy it.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Because 52 issues of a monthly goes somewhere.

A weekly can go "Eh, you know what? Fuck this. Let's just take a few weeks off and phone it in."
    And then you get "week 30. SUPERMAN BUYS THE PAPER!" "Week 49, OLLIE DECIDES TO GET PIZZA!"

sounds like a standard Bendis book

Algertman on
    edited February 2007
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Interesting that among the heroes on the cover is the Red Hood. Any thoughts on that, ladies and gentleman?

Red Hood + Former Robin = Red Robin

Algertman on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    sounds like a standard Bendis book

Yeah, but I think the difference is the Bendis books have focus. 52 is just too disjointed for me.

deadonthestreet on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2007
    Algertman, that is the last Bendis comment you get to make. If you bring it up in a completely unrelated topic one more time, something interesting is going to happen.

DJ Eebs on
  • CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't read alot of Superhero comics, its just not my thing right now, but why is the motherfucking Batman carrying a sword? He's Batman, he don't need no fucking sword!

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, with confirmation that Kyle Rayner's gonna figure into this, plus Captain Marvel (post Trials?) and Mary Marvel, I may have to give this a look. I'm all for a "shit blows up", big action movie sort of story.

Also, Geebs, you are my hero. :^: :^: :^:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited February 2007
    I don't read alot of Superhero comics, its just not my thing right now, but why is the motherfucking Batman carrying a sword? He's Batman, he don't need no fucking sword!

Batman + Sword = 10lbs. of awesome in a 5lbs. bag

Plus, as a side note, when Batman has a sword he usually ends up shirtless fighting R'as by the end of it

Algertman on
  • rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    as long as geoff johns is in no way involved, considered me sold.

rchou on
    edited February 2007
    Added the new image to the first post.
    Looks like Black Adam and Adam Strange make it out of 52.

Black Adam Strange

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    Algertman, that is the last Bendis comment you get to make. If you bring it up in a completely unrelated topic one more time, something interesting is going to happen.

Hahaha, I was wondering if you were actually going to do what you said you wanted to.

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    rchou wrote: »
    as long as geoff johns is in no way involved, considered me sold.

But Geoff Johns is actually a pretty good writer and one of the best "mainstream" writers out there.

Infinite Crisis just stunk

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    I see the atom and starfire and steel!

Whippy on
    edited February 2007
    and the batwoman

and kyle is still wearing his shiny pants

Whippy on
    edited February 2007
    I see the atom and starfire and steel!

It's Ryan, not Ray

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    did I say that's a bad thing

Whippy on
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I was about to get all worked up and wax poetic on the strengths and merits of the miniseries (of which there are many), but then I realized that it's a step in the right direction that you're not using that fucking retarded IKoF board catchphrase and decided to leave good enough alone.

Terrorbyte on
    edited February 2007
    No, but it's not like they were going to kill off Ryan right now, so it's not much of a surprise that he's in it. Although it's cool that he'll be with other superheroes

Ray Palmer's still MIA

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I was about to get all worked up and wax poetic on the strengths and merits of the miniseries (of which there are many), but then I realized that it's a step in the right direction that you're not using that fucking retarded IKoF board catchphrase and decided to leave good enough alone.

I'm pretty sure only Jordyn and Framling call it IKoF

And I'm sorry I didn't like it, Dan. If it helps, I enjoy the hell out of 52

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Is that Ion floating next to Wonder Woman?

Damn it, since I'm so gay for all things Green Lantern right now, I may have to look into this if Kyle and Hal figure prominently into the story. If the GLC gets involved, I do believe my wallet will cry.

Well, I can see Kyle, Hal, John, Guy, and Alan in the picture.

Alan's not in the GLC but fuck you. He's better than Hal

Garlic Bread on