As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I want to run a superhero game....

Captain CharismaCaptain Charisma __BANNED USERS regular
edited February 2007 in Critical Failures
During a conversation about comics and RPGs, the group I play with suggested a superhero game as we've never done one. I mentioned the comic book Exiles (which involves various Marvel characters running around alternate dimensions fixing broken chains in time). I've been thinking about Savage Worlds combined with Necessary Evil, but what other alternatives are there out there? I am very open to suggestions as long as they're not EXTREMELY pricey.

Captain Charisma on

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I find that if you like d20, Mutants and Masterminds from Green Ronin is a very good superhero RPG. You can get an ebook from their online service for something like 20$.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    RalakanRalakan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've played a bit with Heroes Unlimited. Requires at least the main book which isn't too expensive, has several source and add-on books too if you want to fill things out. I've had some fun with it, but I'm not sure how it compares since I haven't seen anyone else playing it.

Ralakan on
  • Options
    MukaikuboMukaikubo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Depends how rules heavy you want to get.

If you want something that places a premium on the story and actions instead of dice rolling, I recommend the Truth and Justice system which uses the PDQ engine from Atomic Sock Monkey. http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/products/tj.asp

If you want a bit more structure to the game and are already pretty familiar with d20, I second the mention of Mutants and Masterminds 2e, which personally is my absolute favorite superhero system in existence.

Of course, there's always GURPS. The Powers supplement is pretty k-rad.

Mukaikubo on
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm a big fan of using Abberrant for superhero games. It's out of print, but I bet you can find the core book on Ebay for cheap.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
  • Options
    VerbenaVerbena Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Chorazin wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of using Abberrant for superhero games. It's out of print, but I bet you can find the core book on Ebay for cheap.

I'm interested in hearing more about this Abberant. Our group has been on hiatus for a bit and out GM is thinking about starting up an Abberant game. I think its because he is on a Heroes (the TV show) kick. I also fear my wife won't be that into it. So tell me more. :D

Verbena on
    Steam - Verbena | 3DS Friend Code - 0576-4430-7964 | Xbox - Verbena Zero
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Verbena wrote: »
    I'm interested in hearing more about this Abberant. Our group has been on hiatus for a bit and out GM is thinking about starting up an Abberant game. I think its because he is on a Heroes (the TV show) kick. I also fear my wife won't be that into it. So tell me more. :D

I own a copy and played it once at a game convention.

They ran it as a WWF-style supers game at the convention, but the setting is someone neat; high sci-fi with supers that get corrupted (mentally and physically) the more powerful they become.

The system isn't all that though. IIRC, it was like WoD with superpowers tacked on completely ignoring Mage.

Squashua on