As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CrossfireX? SLI? nVidia chipset?! Help!

PirusuPirusu PierceRegistered User regular
Hi.

I have an nvidia 750i chipset which is SLI ready and capable...but I want to put a 4850 X2 into it. I know my board isn't "CrossfireX capable", but is that just for two cards that require a hardware bridge? Can I use the dual gpu card to its fullest capability?

Thanks in advance!

Pirusu on

• Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Crossfire and SLI are referring to multicard solutions. The dualcore cards don't fall under this purview. You are fine to use your SINGLE 4850X2 in that motherboard.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yup. You can use one just fine. Likewise, you can use a dual-core Nvidia card (I think the 8800 series had some of these a few years back?) on a crossfire compatible board.

You cannot, however, use two cards together--the only exception I can think of are the EVGA 780i motherboards released by HP/Voodoo, and that's only because of their custom BIOS. A shameless plug, I know.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That's what I'd thought, but I wanted to double check before making my purchase.

Thanks to you both!

Pirusu on