As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Cookie Brigade 2009: Sign Up Now!!

• SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a strange hobby of making t-shirts in my spare time, so I was planning on making some sort of t-shirt to wear to PAX. I'm not sure if it will be a Cookie Brigade t-shirt, a forums t-shirt, or some sort of strange mix of PAX t-shirt, but I will have one... But that will be for one day. If someone else wanted a t-shirt, I can show you what I can do, but I'm not sure when I will be making them - my t-shirt making supplies are in one of two places: 1) Ohio, 2) In the storage closet on my balcony that is currently blocked by a futon.

Anyway, I am totally planning on investing in an apron or a tote bag. I think that either/or would be fine. For someone who wants to wear an apron (I'm not sure how I feel about it yet), then an apron would be awesome. In thinking BEYOND the upcoming PAX, a tote bag would be incredibly useful for school as well as holding the cookies you plan on distributing, and it's something that you can put down/stash somewhere/etc. You can stash an apron as well, but I like the idea of being able to throw my cookies and my red velvet pouch into a bag.

I also like the idea of being semi-covert with a tote bag. For example, say I have decided that I am "off-duty" and am sitting in a panel somewhere... and the person next to me sees my tote bag and asks for a cookie. I'd be more than happy to share the cookie goodness with them, and I wouldn't have had to advertise at all.

My *only* half-hearted concern with the aprons is someone from the convention center seeing/getting curious b/c aprons are something that people don't normally wear.

EDIT:

Oh, we need some sort of awesome logo. Like the button.

SergeantAuberie on
  • seraphexseraphex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Would any other engineering/mad scientist types like to postulate on a "Mobile Cookie Warming" device with me? I'm thinking something like an easy-bake oven (lightbulb powered) that is light enough to be worn for a period of time without killing the bearer. Battery op would also be really useful, though the power draw needed would mean a fairly heavy battery pack. It would be really cool to outfit a few cookie distributors with them if people are into it...

Is this something that anybody is interested in or am I just muttering to myself? :P

seraphex on
    If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a strange hobby of making t-shirts in my spare time, so I was planning on making some sort of t-shirt to wear to PAX. I'm not sure if it will be a Cookie Brigade t-shirt, a forums t-shirt, or some sort of strange mix of PAX t-shirt, but I will have one... But that will be for one day. If someone else wanted a t-shirt, I can show you what I can do, but I'm not sure when I will be making them - my t-shirt making supplies are in one of two places: 1) Ohio, 2) In the storage closet on my balcony that is currently blocked by a futon.

Anyway, I am totally planning on investing in an apron or a tote bag. I think that either/or would be fine. For someone who wants to wear an apron (I'm not sure how I feel about it yet), then an apron would be awesome. In thinking BEYOND the upcoming PAX, a tote bag would be incredibly useful for school as well as holding the cookies you plan on distributing, and it's something that you can put down/stash somewhere/etc. You can stash an apron as well, but I like the idea of being able to throw my cookies and my red velvet pouch into a bag.

I also like the idea of being semi-covert with a tote bag. For example, say I have decided that I am "off-duty" and am sitting in a panel somewhere... and the person next to me sees my tote bag and asks for a cookie. I'd be more than happy to share the cookie goodness with them, and I wouldn't have had to advertise at all.

My *only* half-hearted concern with the aprons is someone from the convention center seeing/getting curious b/c aprons are something that people don't normally wear.

EDIT:

Oh, we need some sort of awesome logo. Like the button.

On the apron subject, you bring up a good point that its main benefit (standing out in the crowd as unusual) could also be a drawback.

On the logo topic, I have to say that I think last years' logo was perfect. I had doubts at first seeing it on the computer, but seeing it on the buttons and printed out sold me on it.

Not only do more people know us by that logo now (which means we have to explain who we are to people less frequently next year if we use that logo), but it was just plain cool. =)

I vote to keep last year's logo.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited February 2009
    I like last year's logo. Who made it? I think that, maybe, as far as making those aprons and bags, it might need to be a little bigger so it doesn't get... pixilated.

SergeantAuberie on
    edited February 2009
    True, we need someone to redo it as Vector art instead of pixel art, so we can rescale it at will.

Any artists in the house?

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    I was experimenting with ordering a tote bag online and they are currently out of some of the border colors and some of the different styles. This made me slightly bummed because I wanted to poke around a lot... So, it might be easier/less annoying to do aprons, if you are so inclined.

Later, though, I went to the thrift store and found a tote bag with a gazillion pockets in it. I have letter stencils somewhere, and I can make stencils for designs, so I think I am going to... decorate it. I think technically it's a diaper bag, but whatever.. It has awesome pockets. I envision putting different kinds of cookies in the large pockets and maybe some taffys or something in the smaller pockets. And, if I ever have kids, I'll have one kick ass diaper bag.

SergeantAuberie on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was experimenting with ordering a tote bag online and they are currently out of some of the border colors and some of the different styles. This made me slightly bummed because I wanted to poke around a lot... So, it might be easier/less annoying to do aprons, if you are so inclined.

Later, though, I went to the thrift store and found a tote bag with a gazillion pockets in it. I have letter stencils somewhere, and I can make stencils for designs, so I think I am going to... decorate it. I think technically it's a diaper bag, but whatever.. It has awesome pockets. I envision putting different kinds of cookies in the large pockets and maybe some taffys or something in the smaller pockets. And, if I ever have kids, I'll have one kick ass diaper bag.

That's so awesome! But I wouldn't tell anyone it's a diaper bag when you're passing out the cookies! :P

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited February 2009
    nemaihne wrote: »

That's so awesome! But I wouldn't tell anyone it's a diaper bag when you're passing out the cookies! :P

Hehe, first thing I do with all things from Goodwill: Wash them. Twice.

SergeantAuberie on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I kinda dig the apron idea, actually. It's weird, but so is PAX, so yeah. I really don't know that we'd be all THAT noticable to the untrained eye... I mean, the convention centre staff are probably going to assume we're just lame cosplayers.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    If BigRed can walk around in a cape, you guys can walk around in aprons

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Moe, I adore the way you can make an entire debate moot in one sentence. :)

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited February 2009
    nemaihne wrote: »

Moe, I adore the way you can make an entire debate moot in one sentence. :)

Last year the idea of sashes was very much in play. But an apron can have a pocket, and that might be the thing that edges it into awesome. Also, the apron itself is a distinctive symbol, so cookie girls and boys can do whatever they want with theirs.

So, who has a Bedazzler? :)

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
    edited March 2009
    I think you can get canvas aprons/totes at Hobby Lobby/Michael's for pretty cheap.

I'm working on a design to put on the side of my canvas bag- an enlarged version of the logo.
    I plan on making a stencil and using paint to apply the logo to my bag.
    I can post pictures when I'm done.

Also, I would be willing to make aprons or something for people with the same logo, maybe.

SergeantAuberie on
    edited March 2009
    Auberie, that'd be awesome! But would you have the time to make one for everyone? If not, we could just order them from somewhere like CafePress who'll take the image and mass produce as needed.

Just in case. =)

Also... I really liked last year's logo. =) But the stenciled design could potentially be really cool too, so I'll be eager to see how it looks =) I think last years' logo is going to be hard to beat though, and people know us by it now. If we could just get the source image/recreate it in a vector format. =(

VThornheart on
    edited March 2009
    Auberie, that'd be awesome! But would you have the time to make one for everyone? If not, we could just order them from somewhere like CafePress who'll take the image and mass produce as needed.

Just in case. =)

Also... I really liked last year's logo. =) But the stenciled design could potentially be really cool too, so I'll be eager to see how it looks =) I think last years' logo is going to be hard to beat though, and people know us by it now. If we could just get the source image/recreate it in a vector format. =(

The stencil I made is of last year's logo. I just made it bigger.

SergeantAuberie on
    edited March 2009
    Ohhhh, cool!

VThornheart on
    edited March 2009
    Note: The paint is not dry, so the flash made it shiny.

What I did:
    1) Enlarged the original logo (found on Google Group website). (It's about 2x as big as the original button logo).
    2) Made it into a cardboard stencil.
    3) Color by color traced it onto my bag. I did the letters freehand b/c they were kind of small and it would be hard to cut them out.
    t185693865.jpg

I'm waiting for it to dry, and then I am going to touch up the paint a little, and do the other side of the bag. :)

Let me know what you think.

SergeantAuberie on
    edited March 2009
    Hmm, for some reason I don't see the picture. The spoiler tag is empty =(

VThornheart on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What about big stickers you can put on your shirt (canvas, apron etc) when you're selling cookies and just peel the sticker off when you either run out or you're tired for the moment. Stickers can be ordered online in bulk and they would be really cheap. Someone can order them in bulk and mail them out to cookie brigade members (and we can pay you at the show) or just hand them out at the show. It would be great for people who cant buy shirts or aprons or who don't have the time to make them.

...and if there are leftover stickers, they can be passed out to get the word around or given to people who make sizable donations.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
    edited March 2009

Crap. Fixed it. :P

SergeantAuberie on
    edited March 2009

Crap. Fixed it. :P

Hmm, I still couldn't see it, but this time I got the wise idea of opening a "quote" reply and looking at the BBCode therein.

I saw the URL:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-PRurV74itg/Saoy0fzN07I/AAAAAAAAAmo/8RVxSIvTCIY/DSC02356.JPG

It looks great! Well done!

I'd be up for one of those, I think that could work well! About how big would you say it is on the apron? I couldn't get a good estimate in my head about how big the logo is on the actual apron from the picture.

VThornheart on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    I get a 404 for that link

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2009
    I get a 404 for that link

I'm betting it's something related to Picasa hating me, and the fact that I have it in a private album.. I can see it, but I guess you guys couldn't. Anyway, changed the link. So the spoiler should work now.
    t185693865.jpg

VT, the actual thing on my bag is 5x5 or 6x6 inches (I can't remember).
    I think that, for aprons, I would make it larger. I made it that size for the bag b/c it actually fits on the side pockets quite nicely. As soon as the back side dries, I'll take a couple of new pictures to show the whole bag and how the logo is on the bag.

SergeantAuberie on
  • chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow, I leave for a weekend, and this thread explodes! Hopefully I can remember everything I need to comment on...

1) I have a copy of the logo in larger format somewhere. I had to reformat last month, but I know its burned on a back-up CD. I'll find it this week.

2) I also like the idea of an apron, but since I'll be carrying/wearing a 5 month old, I think I'll opt for the tote bag.

3) Good job on the stencil, looks real neat!

4) Stickers are also do-able, and have the extra added bonus of "oh no!" and its gone.

5) We need to start thinking now about where we're going to count all the wonderful monies we raise. We weren't too smart about it last year O_o

Its still so far away, and I'm already so excited!

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
    edited March 2009
    The stencil definitely was neat! I'd totally be game for having an apron with the stenciled design. How should we work this out? Do you want to buy a blank apron, do the job, and we'll hook you up with cash when we meet? Or perhaps some money could change hands online?

VThornheart on
    edited March 2009
    The stencil definitely was neat! I'd totally be game for having an apron with the stenciled design. How should we work this out? Do you want to buy a blank apron, do the job, and we'll hook you up with cash when we meet? Or perhaps some money could change hands online?

I have no idea how I want to handle this.
    Like, I would just make aprons and sell them to people at PAX,
    but I don't want to be stuck with leftover aprons...
    Hm.

SergeantAuberie on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I have no idea how I want to handle this.
    Like, I would just make aprons and sell them to people at PAX,
    but I don't want to be stuck with leftover aprons...
    Hm.

what if you put up an auction on ebay and say you had X for sale and just create as many as people want to buy? im sure if you gave PAXers a week or two notice, they would head over and purchase

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
    edited March 2009
    Or you could set up a paypal account and we could send money to your account directly, and then you could just look in the Paypal records of who paid you and you'd know who to make them for... that could work too =)

So, on that issue... cuanto es? =)

VThornheart on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is a cake related post.

Have any of you thought about making a cake, putting the cake is glass cake container,
    and then leaving it on a street corner during PAX?

20050729h.jpg

Could you get in trouble for doing this? Would the cake be mistaken for a bomb? I
    encourage you to find out.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That is one of my favourite PA strips made better by the line "Cake isn't naturally occurring".

Asiina on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    That is one of my favourite PA strips made better by the line "Cake isn't naturally occurring".

So what would happen if we put a cake on the street and left it there?

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really don't know. Someone would probably pick it up.

Asiina on
    edited March 2009
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Asiina wrote: »

So what would happen if we put a cake on the street and left it there?

My roommates found Vodka on the street once. It was New Years Day (which makes sense) and they brought it home. My guess is the same would have happened if they found a cake.

Although... it would be humorous to see a headline like "Bomb Squad Called Over Cake," or something like that.

RE: VT: I'd probably prefer the paypal thing. There is plenty of time to consider this all, though. I will be more able/willing to make CB-fashion-wear after... the first week of May [Finals Week].

SergeantAuberie on
    edited March 2009
    Woot, sounds good! ;)

VThornheart on
    edited March 2009
    Woot, sounds good! ;)

I found my t-shirt/bag making kit!!!!! Woot! It has premade letter stencils and whatnot... So very useful.

SergeantAuberie on
    edited March 2009
    I left cupcakes jauntily posed on fence posts and tree branches on a nearby street. We'd eaten one cupcake out of the box, and despite being so very-very pretty, it was a vile abomination. So we set them free into the wild where they could be pretty and inedible somewhere else.

Samyel on
    edited March 2009
    Samyel wrote: »
    I left cupcakes jauntily posed on fence posts and tree branches on a nearby street. We'd eaten one cupcake out of the box, and despite being so very-very pretty, it was a vile abomination. So we set them free into the wild where they could be pretty and inedible somewhere else.

That is awesome.

SergeantAuberie on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BTW I was, you know, browsing the intertrons, and I saw this:
    super_mario_cookie.jpg

And I thought, dude, the cookie brigade should totally do a few like that. You could probably charge like $20 for something that awesome. And while it would take more effort than your average batch, I think my mom's neapolitan cookie recipe would adapt to it very easily. Just a matter of mixing food colorings to get the right 'pixels' and maybe different extracts for flavorings.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That is so awesome ET

Azazel on
    edited March 2009
    BTW I was, you know, browsing the intertrons, and I saw this:
    super_mario_cookie.jpg

And I thought, dude, the cookie brigade should totally do a few like that. You could probably charge like $20 for something that awesome. And while it would take more effort than your average batch, I think my mom's neapolitan cookie recipe would adapt to it very easily. Just a matter of mixing food colorings to get the right 'pixels' and maybe different extracts for flavorings.

That would be made of WIN, ET. I would be honored to distribute such epic cookies. =)

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.