As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's the first friday of lent! (Fish question)

i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Which means no meat tonight, so I'm planning on doing a fish fry. Now I have fried many things (including oreos) but I don't think I've ever fried fish. So does anyone know what kind of fish would be suitable to fry without it drying out in the process? Also it has to be readily available at my local Wal-mart, I plan on doing some hush puppies along with it while I have the oil heated up (might as well right?). I appreciate the help guys!

Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i n c u b u s on

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tilapia works well. It's thin so it fries quickly.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cod, haddock, tilapia, and halibut are what I've mostly seen used for fish 'n' chips.

Thanatos on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    White fish are the traditional frying fish, cod, halibut, tilapia, whatever. But I hear salmon is good too, pick a fish you like, and fry it.. As your experience with oreos shows its hard for things which are fried not to taste good.

One thing with fish, is that if you're breading it, it can be hard to keep the breading from falling off. I recommend the following.

1. Clean your fish (or have a butcher do it). Have the skin removed, because no one like that scaly shit.

2. Assuming its already an appropriate thickness (1/4 to 1/2", it needs to cook through before the outside starts burning, if its too thick, use a filleting knife [sharp] to fix that) pat your fish in a pile of flour, making sure the whole surface is covered.

3. Beat up an egg or two. Dip each piece of flour coated fish into the egg, then pat it in a pile of bread crumbs, being sure to cover the entire surface.

4. Put pieces in fridge for half an hour or more, to solidify the coating.

5. Fry and eat.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ^ that guy knows his fish-fry.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Simple enough, thanks guys and have a great weekend!

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, basically what that guy said. White fish are most common, I prefer Tilapia and Halibut.

Also, consider looking into a recipe for beer batter. It's excellent for fried fish, and quite simple.

Endaro on
  • NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A few other things to consider.

1) Make sure your fish is not too moist. Pat it dry before you start using it. Soggy fish often results in..well..soggy fish.

2) A tip a lot of people use; if your fish is smelling, well, fishy, soak it in milk for a hour or so. Then dry it off and cook it up.

3) Skin is really a preference. If prepped and cooked right the skin can taste fantastic. It isn't half bad for you either, it will give you a nice glossy coat of fur..but seriously, at least with halibut scales aren't a factor. And another plus to halibut, if it has been cut properly, no bones!

Living up here in Alaska we get spoiled with fish. I feel like Bubba on Forrest Gump when I start reciting halibut recipes.

Noquar on
  • ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    baking a whole fish:

take the fish (gutted already)
    place it on a large piece of tinfoil
    put some butter inside
    season with lemon seasoning, or salt, pepper and lemon juice
    spread some butter on the top too, for extra tendery goodness. Add more lemon juice
    fold the tinfoil over the top of it and seal the edges, so it's in a tight package. Don't completely seal all edges (a little air is good, but mostly sealed to keep in the moisture)
    Bake for 30-60min, depending on size of fish

I use this a lot for salmon and it's sooooo yummy, and easy too (no standing over hot sizzling oil, yay!)

ihmmy on