As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

unable to install windows xp

th3thirdmanth3thirdman Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
hello, I have been trying to install windows xp on my dell computer system spec as posted
Motherboardt: 0WG855 vendor: Dell Inc. physical id: 0
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
1gb ram
video cardG72 [GeForce 7300 LE
built in sound card
82801 SATA RAID Controller intel
hard drive WDC WD2500JS-75N
DVD+-RW GSA-H31N

I boot from windows xp disk it loads all the drivers the says set-up is loading windows then I get a blue screen with error 0x000007b I found a screen shot of the bsod any help would be great I have been beating my head on this for a week. and I am running ubuntu on this computer right nout so I will be duel booting.

bc3_bsod-stop-0x0000007b.jpg

th3thirdman on

• edited February 2009
    have you tried running chkdsk? it looks as though your harddrive may be messed up.

this may help you: http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5097

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • th3thirdmanth3thirdman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hard drive is fine, I scaned using linux. but I will try what that post talks about thanks. can not get to the point where I can get to the console that comes after "setup is starting windows.

th3thirdman on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Microsoft has detailed troubleshooting for that STOP error here. Do you have the SATA adapter on your motherboard configured as a RAID controller? If so, my guess would be a problem with the SATA RAID driver Windows is using when it launches the graphical setup after the reboot. Are you using F6 to load a SATA RAID driver from a floppy disk, or is one slipstreamed into your Windows CD? If it's a floppy disk you're using, I'd recommend checking for a newer version of the driver for your RAID controller.

You only mention one hard drive in your system specs, so I'm wondering if maybe you just need to change the RAID controller setting from RAID to AHCI in the BIOS. You don't need the RAID functionality if you're just using one hard drive, and having the RAID portion of the controller enabled may be what's causing your problem.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
    edited February 2009
    ok I will try that would partioning the harddrive make a difference?

th3thirdman on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ok I will try that would partioning the harddrive make a difference?

No.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited February 2009
    ok so I got windows to install THANK YOU! however I cannot get it to see my eather net card or any pci stuff also how would I boot to ubuntu?

th3thirdman on
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ok so I got windows to install THANK YOU! however I cannot get it to see my eather net card or any pci stuff also how would I boot to ubuntu?

Have you installed the XP drivers for your motherboard? I suggest going to the Dell web site and take a look first. If no luck then try looking at the company which made chipset.

As for boot to ubuntu you need to either select that drive in the BIOS as the boot drive or install a boot manager. There are several just google

dual-boot xp linux

or something like that.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
    edited February 2009
    I want to thank you so muh I now have windows up and running and am so happy
    also I will duel boot tomorrow I found this site to tell me how https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot#Installing%20Windows%20After%20Ubuntu

th3thirdman on