As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Graduating from Uni (Now What?)

IrohIroh Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
First, a little background. I'm enrolled in a BS program for Electrical Engineering, and I'll be wrapping that up in early June. I've had a corporate paid internship for 4 years in my field, so I have some experience to boot. My current employer hasn't extended me an offer, so I am responsible for finding work elsewhere post-graduation, so I'm job hunting now before my last school semester begins.

Now, is there any kind of etiquette for responding to a job posting with any length of time before one becomes available to work full-time? Like I said, I won't be able to start until mid-June, so should I wait to start sending out my information, or are people going to be willing to wait up for me?

Finally, does anyone have any advice or resources you can share regarding retirement plans/investing? I'd like to start putting money away ASAP, but I want to be sure I'm informed first.

Thanks in advance.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Iroh on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you've got money now, the best thing you could do with it is to put it in a Roth IRA. You can apply it towards 2008 if you do it within the next couple of months, which is good because it's not tax-deductible (it is, however, tax-free when you withdraw it).

Once you lock down a job, you'll want to look at their benefits package, and decide what to do from there. If they've got any sort of matching contribution, you'll probably want to max out a 401(k). But, like I said, you'll want to wait until you've actually got a job before you do that.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Iroh wrote: »
    First, a little background. I'm enrolled in a BS program for Electrical Engineering, and I'll be wrapping that up in early June. I've had a corporate paid internship for 4 years in my field, so I have some experience to boot. My current employer hasn't extended me an offer, so I am responsible for finding work elsewhere post-graduation, so I'm job hunting now before my last school semester begins.

Now, is there any kind of etiquette for responding to a job posting with any length of time before one becomes available to work full-time? Like I said, I won't be able to start until mid-June, so should I wait to start sending out my information, or are people going to be willing to wait up for me?

Finally, does anyone have any advice or resources you can share regarding retirement plans/investing? I'd like to start putting money away ASAP, but I want to be sure I'm informed first.

Thanks in advance.

1. financial advise: wherever you end up may have a 401k matching program, these are always good, because hey, free money. Serious financial advise will be something along the lines of diversify, and you're young so take some risks in your investments.

2. Start applying for every job you think you might want. Start now. You have some experience, that makes you a rock star. Also, you aren't begging for a job, they should be begging you to take it! Why wouldn't they want to wait for the most competent new electrical engineer in the business. You're a catch, and they should be lucky you even applied for a job at their boring-ass company. What can they do to help you develop? Whats so special about their company? You know what you can do for them; anything they ask, better than they imagine.

That being said, the economy sucks. Companies may not be able to afford hiring an upandcoming young engineer like yourself. Times are tough. Apply for anything and everything. NOW!

edit: ditto on the roth business. That shit is teeee-ight and tax-dizityductable.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit