As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Advice on X-box 360 game as gift for 8 year old

CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriends smaller brother is turning 8 and we are supposed to give him a 360 game for his new X-box that he'll get. I've never owned a console so I don't know which games are actually good.

Some guidelines:

Not to violent or "adult", gears of war is probably out.
Preferbly something we can pick up and play in co-op or vs with him on his birthday.

We were thinking about some fun racing game like Mario cart or similar but really any game would do as long as it's good. The kid is kind of smart so that's not a problem.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
CuddlyCuteKitten on

• edited February 2009
    I enjoyed Beautiful Katamari. It's not much of a game (quite short) but it was fun while it lasted. It's also been out for a while so it's relatively inexpensive.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • KeyScourgeKeyScourge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Given the huge range of games available for the 360 it'd help to narrow down the list if we knew the kind of kid it is. Different kids like different stuff

KeyScourge on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anything from the Lego series... Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes, I'd get him Lego Batman as that one is likely the most relevant to him as an 8 year old.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Castle Crashers could be fun, too. Though, I'm not sure if that would be considered "too violent."

Thanatos on
  • Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If they like a sport there are sports games for pretty much any sport (and they are all multiplayer), if they like superheros Marvel: Ultimate alliance is a fun multiplayer game (and has the added bonus of seeming very grown up and cool to an 8 year old without actually being violent, or inappropriate). Pure (an off road racing game), I haven't played but rates highly and looks like fun. Just think of their interests and there will be a game for it (and be sure to check the ESRB rating).

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Slightly more expensive, since you would be somewhat forced to buy peripherals, but a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game would be good. I think GH3 can be had for fairly cheaply (though it's not the best of the franchise). Co-op too, if you get more than one controller.

CyberJackal on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Castle Crashers could be fun, too. Though, I'm not sure if that would be considered "too violent."

If he doesn't think you're the greatest ever for giving him a game where you ride a deer that propels itself via the vehemence of it's own shitting, you should never see him again.

Lewisham on
  • edited February 2009
    I would maybe steer clear of Castle Crashers. The 8-year-old will probably think it's awesome. The 8-year-old's parents, on the other hand...

The LEGO games are pretty good. I'd say either Star Wars or Batman. Indy, while my favourite movie series of the three, was not as good a game.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Viva Pinata?

Sir Carcass on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Viva Pinata?

make sure you get the regular viva pinata and not the shithole party animals

Raneados on
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kameo... older, but very good IMHO

illig on
  • NatanekoNataneko Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Get Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise. He'll get more pinata. Otherwise, yeah, Lego everything is nice. My nephew also liked Guitar Hero but he gets very obsessive about it (but could be said of any game really....)

Nataneko on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lego Star Wars (preferably complete saga)
    Burnout Paradise
    Pure
    Viva Pinata

Castle Crashers has a lot of cartoon violence and blood - not sure if parents would like that.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Viva Pinata for sure. Even I loved that game.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got Spyro for the 360 on the recommendation of people here (my son, who is very young, wanted a dragon game). It's not fantastic by the standards I'm used to, but he gets to fly around and stuff.

takyris on
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What about Banjo Kazooie?

The "Lego _____" games are probably the best for pick-up and play co-op since the controls are simple and Player 2 can jump in at any time.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Banjo Kazooie : Nuts & Bolts :)

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The first Pinata is wonderful, Pinata Trouble in Paradise was alright but I much preferred the first. The second gets bonus points thought because someone can pick up the second controller and join in and help out. Is the system coming with Kung fu Panda and Lego Indy? If not, one of those 2 games would also be a good pick. I enjoyed both of them well enough, and for a game based on a movie Kung fu, Panda really surprised me.

Kuroi Ookami on
    3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
    Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
    Let me know if you add me on either.
  • CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kid loves Starwars, loves LEGO, loves LEGO starwars things. I think the choice is obvious when I look at the LEGO games.

Thanks guys, really made this a lot easier.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is he online?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited February 2009
    I have no idea. He'll get the Xbox at the same time as the games.

However we now have a problem. He apparantly has the LEGO Starwars for the Nintendo DS and he'll get LEGO Indiana Jones from his parents. So we figured that we can't buy Starwars. Apparantly he wants Starwars: Battlefront but that game doesn't seem to be available for the 360. Can you play it anyway?

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    edited February 2009
    Battlefront 2 is playable on the 360, but he'll need to either connect to Xbox Live (with a free Silver membership) to get it to work with original Xbox games, or you can burn an install disc from xbox.com. I'll dig out the think for that in a sec (along with Family Settings info).

If he does end up getting online, I can't recommend Burnout Paradise enough. Not only is it an incredible game, the updates recently made it have a better difficulty curve (so it's easier to get into) and all the free updates have added a ton of content to it. You might need someone to set up the downloads and stuff for him, though.

Willeth on
  • Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The xbox 360 will play the xbox version of both Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars Battlefront II. The official backwards compatibility list is available Here

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
    edited February 2009
    I could probably set up an internet connection. I'd have to give him a lecture about net etiquette first though, don't want him to grow up into a jerk. :)

Were Sweden based so I don't know how live works here but I guess it should be fine. Only problem is that there seems to be very few retailers that actually carry the game. If we can't find it I'll buy Naruto: Rise of a ninja instead because I used to be a huge Narutard and it seems like the proper time to ruin the new generation.

Plus I want to play it myself. :P

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    edited February 2009
    Look into Family Settings. You can control what age rating he's allowed to play up to, who he can communicate with on Live, that sort of thing. My nephew, for example, can't talk to anyone not on his friends list, and can't add anyone to his friends list without parental approval (which requires a separate password).

Of course, he just asked his dad what the password was. But still.

Willeth on
  • capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got my daughter Lego Batman for the DS, and got Lego Batman from the 360 from Gamefly. They're really different, and she enjoys them both. Not sure if the Star Wars games are the same deal, though.

I know it's not the popular thing (as they're generally crappy games as far as we're concerned) but kids seem to love licensed games -- Wall-E, Kung Fu Panda, etc.

capnrico on
  • Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He will probably like Burnout Paradise or .Skate. Soul Calibur 4 is not very explicit in its violence as far as fighting games go, and The Force Unleashed is rated T, but I'll be damned if it's not just fine for any 8 year old I've ever been around.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
    edited March 2009
    Skate might well be too irritating to control. I might be underestimating eight-year-olds, though.

Having picked up Crackdown again and thoroughly enjoying it I can recommend that. So much fun.

The best thing, though, is that if you get him connected online (and he has a system with a hard drive), you can download demos of most games that are out there and he can see what he likes and doesn't.

Willeth on
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have no idea. He'll get the Xbox at the same time as the games.

However we now have a problem. He apparantly has the LEGO Starwars for the Nintendo DS and he'll get LEGO Indiana Jones from his parents. So we figured that we can't buy Starwars. Apparantly he wants Starwars: Battlefront but that game doesn't seem to be available for the 360. Can you play it anyway?

Do you know which Lego Star Wars game he owns on the DS? If he only has "Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy" for the DS, you could still get him "Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga" for the 360. It contains both trilogies along several extra levels that weren't in the two stand-alone games.

If he likes the real Lego sets for the building aspect, there's a good chance he'll like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. A good portion of the game seems to revolving around constructing various vehicles in a Lego-like fashion from parts that you collect:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36782.html

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    AaronKI wrote: »

If he likes the real Lego sets for the building aspect, there's a good chance he'll like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. A good portion of the game seems to revolving around constructing various vehicles in a Lego-like fashion from parts that you collect:

The 3D spacial awareness and cause/effect structure of building those machines is beyond most adults, let alone 8 year-olds :)

Lewisham on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't underestimate an 8 year old's mind.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz