As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a Car

kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated foraRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I didn't want to hijack the other thread, and I have a different question - I'm looking at spending about $25k on a car, but would go up to the 35k range if there's an appreciable difference in quality over that price range. I don't feel compelled to buy a G35 or a BMW or something for the brand.
My biggest concern is to have a durable, high-safety, low-cost maintenance car that will last for the next 6-10 years (or at least keep its resale value). Suggestions? How about how to best negotiate with dealerships?

Website/further reading recommendations are much appreciated - I know there are plenty of resources out there, but not which ones are good.

fwKS7.png?1
kaliyama on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread, and I have a different question - I'm looking at spending about $25k on a car, but would go up to the 35k range if there's an appreciable difference in quality over that price range. I don't feel compelled to buy a G35 or a BMW or something for the brand.
    My biggest concern is to have a durable, high-safety, low-cost maintenance car that will last for the next 6-10 years (or at least keep its resale value). Suggestions? How about how to best negotiate with dealerships?

Website/further reading recommendations are much appreciated - I know there are plenty of resources out there, but not which ones are good.

Well, you're willing to spend $25-35K. Let's find out if you have to.

What do you want from the car? Anything besides "durable, safe, low-cost maintenance?" The last bullet point hurts BMW, by the way - while you might get free care for the duration of your purchase/lease/etc, bend over and lube up once that runs out. (By the way, that lube is $50/oz, minimum change 4oz.)

Do you want performance? High fuel economy? Luxury? Bling?

Do you need to carry multiple people, or just you and a terrified co-pilot?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Well, you're willing to spend $25-35K. Let's find out if you have to.

What do you want from the car? Anything besides "durable, safe, low-cost maintenance?" The last bullet point hurts BMW, by the way - while you might get free care for the duration of your purchase/lease/etc, bend over and lube up once that runs out. (By the way, that lube is $50/oz, minimum change 4oz.)

Do you want performance? High fuel economy? Luxury? Bling?

Do you need to carry multiple people, or just you and a terrified co-pilot?

Yeah, I know that BMWs are expensive to maintain, but know little about any other maker in that respect. I'm looking for a low-maintainance car with safety and durability that will retain its value. Like I said, I don't care about brand. Fuel efficiency is nice, but not priority number 1 - I don't want an SUV. I figure carrying four people is fine, but if there was an awesome two-seater out there i'd consider it. I'm not sure what performance metrics are relevant for me; I'll be in Los Angeles, so while I might be on the PCH sometimes, it's much more likely i'll be going 20-60mph in heavy traffic on a freeway or street traffic.

Hopefully I conveyed that I don't care about bling. Luxury is one of those things i'm curious about - will I be a lot more comfy in a nicer car? (This, for example, may be an issue where I get more bang for my buck upgrading a lower-end model than buying a basic version of something MORE EXPENSIVE)

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't think the Audi's maintenance are as high as the BMWs, but it's still pretty up there.

Test drive one though, and test drive a BMW. Make sure it's as close to the model you want and can afford. An A4 with all the trimmings is almost a completely different experience than the basic model with nothing added.

Then go drive some other cars like Hondas or Fords and maybe a Subaru Legacy. Then decide whether or not you want to pay for the "luxuries" and performance the previous brands offer.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I know that BMWs are expensive to maintain, but know little about any other maker in that respect. I'm looking for a low-maintainance car with safety and durability that will retain its value. Like I said, I don't care about brand. Fuel efficiency is nice, but not priority number 1 - I don't want an SUV. I figure carrying four people is fine, but if there was an awesome two-seater out there i'd consider it. I'm not sure what performance metrics are relevant for me; I'll be in Los Angeles, so while I might be on the PCH sometimes, it's much more likely i'll be going 20-60mph in heavy traffic on a freeway or street traffic.

Hopefully I conveyed that I don't care about bling. Luxury is one of those things i'm curious about - will I be a lot more comfy in a nicer car? (This, for example, may be an issue where I get more bang for my buck upgrading a lower-end model than buying a basic version of something MORE EXPENSIVE)

From what I read here, you'd be best off with a bread-and-butter family sedan. They're reliable, safe, and retain value incredibly well. Given that you seem to lean more towards comfort and luxury than handling and "sportiness" give a V6 Camry a shot.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Lexus ES 350 might interest you. It's basically a Toyota Camry (reliability) with the comfort and luxury of a Lexus. It's not flashy, just nice and comfortable. It starts at $34k according to the Lexus website but I'm sure you could get a deal on one. My mom recently bought one for $32k.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hyundai Genesis or the Genesis Coupe.

http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you have $35K to spend on a car that's going to last you 10 years, then I recommend spending $25-$28K on the car and putting the rest into a savings account to pay for maintenance (or new car fund). Over that time period expect 30-40 oil/oil filter changes, 5-10 air filter changes, 3-5 sets of pads (all around), 2-3 sets of rotors (all around), calipers rebuilt 2-3 times or possibly replaced, possibly a master/slave cylinder replacement, 2-3 sets of tires (all around), belts replaced 2-4 times, 2-4 coolant/fuel/brake system flushes, 1-2 major engine tunes-ups (timing belt replacement, spark plug replacement, wires replacement, replace hoses), possibly you'll need to replace a cracked radiator, if it's an auto possibly a transmission rebuild, if it's a manual definitely at least 1 clutch.

That's just a ball park estimate of average possible/likely maintenance on a modern car up to 150K miles, different cars have different maintenance schedules, the climate and how you drive your car also informs maintenance, and some of it's just luck. There's no car out there that doesn't require regular maintenance, savings on maintenance can be had if you're willing to do it yourself, but don't discount: the cost of tools, the cost of losing your weekends to servicing a car, busted knuckles.

The best marques for value retention seem to be honda/acura, toyota/lexus, and mini, secondarily bmw/mercedes/vw-audi.

I recommend the Toyota Venza, cause I like the way it looks and it's based on the Camry.

Djeet on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Oh yeah, look at the Genesis sedan for sure. I haven't had the chance to drive one yet but they're supposed to be an amazing deal.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Acura.... Please?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    saltiness wrote: »

Oh yeah, look at the Genesis sedan for sure. I haven't had the chance to drive one yet but they're supposed to be an amazing deal.

I didn't mention the Genesis at the moment because he was highlighting "reliability" and "residual value" as two of his bigger wants. Right now it's an unknown quantity in the former (although the Lambda engine in V6 models has been pretty solid) and Hyundai has historically done poorly in the latter category; and one car won't change that.

Disregarding those though, shockingly good quality for any vehicle, never mind a Hyundai. Its pretentions at being a "luxury sports sedan" are a bit off the mark though, because it can't do the two-lane two-step nearly as well as the pricier competition. Think of it as closer to a Lexus than a BMW or Mercedes.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That Hyundai Genesis is one fantastic car. You kind of feel hesitant to give it so much praise for being the first top end car by Hyundai, but I guess this is what people felt like when Lexus first came out.

It has power, and the ride is so, smooth. It's not for the racer in you (that would be the coupe's job), but it is a great everyday commuter car. And quiet

The only thing wrong with it is depreciation, but it's not going to have that steep drop like the German cars will because of it's lower price. If you were going to go 10 years on a car, I'd pick it. If you wanted something new in 4-5 years, probably better to just get a top of the line Honda Accord EX-L (coupe looks better) or Nissan Altima 3.5 coupe.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Honda Civic. Hyundai Genesis. Toyota Camry/Corolla.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The new Honda Accords are actually pretty sweet. And Hondas are generally awesome. They only require 87 octane, the engines basically run forever, and they have low emissions and high fuel mileage.

Honda also offers plenty of luxury options if that's your thing. Moonroof, premium audio systems, nav systems (although I think factory nav systems are total crap), heated leather seats, dual climate control...

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    do yourself a favor and drive a new loaded accord and a camry... then test drive an A4, G37, and a 3-series BMW

then decide if you're willing to pay the extra money (close to $10K) for the extra driving fun... for some people it's absolutely worth it, for others, it's wasted potential

illig on