As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

64 bit Vista and the programs that hate it

HewnHewn Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I purchased an Acer laptop for my folks, along with Microsoft Office 2007 and Dragon Naturally Speaking, with the sole purpose that my father could start transcribing his scribble notes to a nice print.

Little did I know that Dragon does not support 64 bit Vista. Also I had no idea the laptop even came with 64 bit Vista until I fired it up, as the documentation said no such thing.

In short, are there any 64 bit speech to text programs worth a damn? I played a little with Vista's built in speech to text and it seemed OK, but how does it stack up to something like Dragon (as I never got to actually use it)? And finally how easy is it to downgrade to 32 bit Vista?

And if none of that works, and I'm able to return the laptop, how do I know I won't get another 64 bit product so I can actually load Dragon on for him? The documentation on these online doesn't always specify, it just says something like "Vista Home Premium."

Steam: hewn
Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
Hewn on

• Options
    PaliPali Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Have you tried running Dragon in compatability mode?

Right Click => Properties => Compatability => Choose Options => Apply

It also works for some installers running it this way too if it hasnt been installed, but that can be hit and miss.

Pali on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Almost all OEM machines made in the last 1-2 years off the shelves has a 64-bit version of Vista on it. Basically its a prep for Windows 7 that outside Basic is going to be almost exclusively 64bit.

What version of Dragon Naturally are you running?

Topweasel on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Topweasel wrote: »
    Almost all OEM machines made in the last 1-2 years off the shelves has a 64-bit version of Vista on it. Basically its a prep for Windows 7 that outside Basic is going to be almost exclusively 64bit.

What version of Dragon Naturally are you running?

Running version 10 Standard.

I can't figure out how to get it to run in compatibility mode. It won't even begin to install no matter what I do.

I guess I'm stuck with the Microsoft built in speech recognition.

Hewn on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A quick google search came up with this blog. The author says that Nuance said they'd send out an update. It was posted late '08 and it seems Nuance did not hold word. If at all possible try to get your money back.

There is a way to make Dragon 9 work, as provided here, but it's not supported by Nuance.

[tangent]

That's another company on the blacklist for me, though. :| It's bad business to refuse to update your very expensive software to be compatible with new standards. (also on the list: HP who refuse to make their pre-vista hardware work with Vista and Microsoft Games who refuse to update Crimson Skies or allow fans to update the game itself)

Aldo on
  • Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    did you install dragon to the /program files(x86)/ folder? i thought that was what enabled 64bit vista to run 32bit programs... i just recently installed 64bit vista myself and havnt had any problems yet.

malkoth on
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There are programs that dont work in 64 bit vista!
    Wow, is it running a 16 bit core?

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You could obtain a 32-bit DVD of Vista and install it with the same cd key you have, since the cd key does not care if you're using 64 or 32 bits.

I didn't check, but does it even support Vista 32-bit? If it does, there is no legitimate reason for it to not work on 64-bit.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    You could obtain a 32-bit DVD of Vista and install it with the same cd key you have, since the cd key does not care if you're using 64 or 32 bits.

I didn't check, but does it even support Vista 32-bit? If it does, there is no legitimate reason for it to not work on 64-bit.

Ah, so I just need a 32 bit Vista copy eh? I think I can do that. I'll start asking around to friends.

It does support 32-bit Vista. In fact the box is covered with Vista logos and the company is a "gold certified microsoft partner" or something like that. I guess I learned a lesson, as it doesn't look like I can return it and the damn program wasn't cheap. I can't imagine how pissed I'd be if I got the $150+ version.

Hewn on