As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help with email servers!

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
I have a client who I do basic PC repair/troubleshooting for. However, she asked me to look into a transition for her business and I wanted to double check some things with you guys.

They use yahoo for their work emails (hidden behind a domain that yahoo bought on their behalf, I think). Her account is yolanda@sbcglobal.net but when she sends emails, it actually sends as yolanda@mydomain.com.

She wants to be able to send/receive emails using Outlook, but here's the kicker: she HAS to be able to have her assistant (Anna) send emails AS HER when she's out of town (travels a lot).

Can't I set up a "catch-all" email? I guess I'd have to rent an email server and set it up for her, but would she be able to send email as blah, then her assistant could log in and send as either Yolanda or Anna?

In yahoo it works fine because there's a drop down that lets her choose who she's sending as. Can outlook be set up the same way?

1ddqd on

• Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    1ddqd wrote: »
    I have a client who I do basic PC repair/troubleshooting for. However, she asked me to look into a transition for her business and I wanted to double check some things with you guys.

They use yahoo for their work emails (hidden behind a domain that yahoo bought on their behalf, I think). Her account is yolanda@sbcglobal.net but when she sends emails, it actually sends as yolanda@mydomain.com.

She wants to be able to send/receive emails using Outlook, but here's the kicker: she HAS to be able to have her assistant (Anna) send emails AS HER when she's out of town (travels a lot).

Can't I set up a "catch-all" email? I guess I'd have to rent an email server and set it up for her, but would she be able to send email as blah, then her assistant could log in and send as either Yolanda or Anna?

In yahoo it works fine because there's a drop down that lets her choose who she's sending as. Can outlook be set up the same way?

Outlook has a delegate/permissions function where people can use other people's inboxes as well as their calendar and other assorted useful things like that. I frequently help administrative assistants set up access to their boss's account. You would probably need to set up an exchange server, I'm pretty sure no free email service offers that kind of functionality.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    YodaTuna wrote: »

Outlook has a delegate/permissions function where people can use other people's inboxes as well as their calendar and other assorted useful things like that. I frequently help administrative assistants set up access to their boss's account. You would probably need to set up an exchange server, I'm pretty sure no free email service offers that kind of functionality.
    How/where can I set up this exchange server? Is it a function of a service they'd have to subscribe to?

1ddqd on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Exchange is a full blown product from Microsoft.

Not free, not even close, and that is before buying individual CALs for anyone using it.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ah - well, back to my original idea then. Are there places that will let me move the domain and give me the email functionality I need?

1ddqd on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why not just add her account into the assistants Outlook?

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bigwah wrote: »

This is the cheap and easy way. I do this with my own e-mail accounts. I have my work e-mail, but I have a POP account also coming into my outlook, and when I'm writing an e-mail, I can choose to send it from my work account or the POP account.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ah - well, back to my original idea then. Are there places that will let me move the domain and give me the email functionality I need?

You can get exchange hosting for as low as $10 per user per month. This would give you the functionality, but then you have a whole new beast of an e-mail setup to support. Good luck. :)

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    bigwah wrote: »

So will they both receive the same email? I suppose they would, right? I'd just add both accounts to each PC and then they can choose who to email as... why didn't I think of that before!

1ddqd on