As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me a free/cheap firewall

EliminationElimination Registered User regular
I was using Zone Alarm, but i found it blocks some programs even when its turned off (Tversity specifically) which is getting really annoying. So umm, recommend ON, what do you guys use that is decent and not bloated and stupid?

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
Elimination on

• Options
    Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Comodo Personal Firewall is decent. And free.

Dr. Gero on
  • Options
    andkoreandkore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ZoneAlarm
    I don't know how good it is now, but a few years back it was the one everyone recommended.

andkore on
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    -Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    andkore wrote: »
    ZoneAlarm
    I don't know how good it is now, but a few years back it was the one everyone recommended.
    It went way downhill and became unstable and bloated.

PC Tools is what I switched to and never looked back.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    andkoreandkore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Whups.
    Honestly, I don't even run a firewall, but I am in no way recommending that...

andkore on
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    -Groucho Marx
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I use Windows firewall, I was under the impression that that one is pretty decent and non-intrusive?

Aldo on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Windows firewall is perfectly fine. There's no reason to use anything else, really...unless you want control over outbound traffic. The Windows firewall only handles inbound.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    RBach wrote: »
    The Windows firewall is perfectly fine. There's no reason to use anything else, really...unless you want control over outbound traffic. The Windows firewall only handles inbound.
    So if I were uploading stuff on a regular basis you'd advise something else?

Aldo on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No, if you care that programs you've installed might be connecting to sites without your knowledge (for example, to check for updates) then you might be interested in one of these third party programs. Some people see this as a way to detect a possible malware infection, but I figure by the time someothing's gotten on your system and is establishing connections to who knows where it is probably too late, anyway.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    RBach wrote: »
    No, if you care that programs you've installed might be connecting to sites without your knowledge (for example, to check for updates) then you might be interested in one of these third party programs. Some people see this as a way to detect a possible malware infection, but I figure by the time someothing's gotten on your system and is establishing connections to who knows where it is probably too late, anyway.
    Ah, like that. Sorry, I'm slow. Another question then, why does my windows firewall ask me if I want to let certain programs I have running connect to the internet? I've only noticed it asking with programs that were kosher anyway.

Aldo on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    andkore wrote: »
    ZoneAlarm
    It went way downhill and became unstable and bloated.

PC Tools is what I switched to and never looked back.

Seconded. Comodo is pretty good too, but it always refused to open ports for me.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    honestly, I run windows firewall only, and then just have the firewall on my router enabled.

I don't believe in running a third party firewall anymore. I think they are only for the paranoid.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar