As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How do you organize your CDs and game discs/manuals

VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just moved into a brand new apt and I really want to stay clean and organized. I haven't got much unpacked yet and I wanted to have a better way of organizing all my disks and game manuals and etc.

I've got some CDs and game disks in a pair of really old Case Logic albums, but they're starting to fall apart. I've kept almost all the manuals from all the games i've ever owned, but they're literally in an old amazon shipping box that I stuffed in my closet. A lot of music CDs and games that I have though are still in their original cases just stacked in a shelf. I really don't know how many music CDs I have, but maybe ball park figure would be at least two or three hundred. I've been gaming since the early 90s so I have to imagine the number of game discs I have are about the same if not more.

So I'm just trying to get a sense of what other people do these days to store a large number of CDs and game discs and manuals. Do you keep liner notes from music CDs anymore? I know a lot of people rip their CDs to their computer and put the CD into semi-permanent storage so I'm definitely considering that. I wish the same could work with game media. rip every game disk to an ISO file and just mount it when you need it. but copy protection gets in the way of that right? maybe scan all the manuals into PDF format?? I have a small 2-drawer filing cabinet and I used to think I could stash everything in that, each game having its own hanging file folder..but that didn't really work out either.

I originally thought it was great that games were coming in modified DVD cases. but they're almost always the double wide cases and those suckers take up a lot of space after a while if you get enough of them.

So I thought I would just mine the this site for ideas. Thanks in advance!

VoodooV on

• Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As for Cd's I would definitely just rip them to your computer and find a safeplace for them.

As for video games I went out and bought the blank cd cases and a standing metal organizer. It is a bit more expensive, but atleast you'll know they're not getting scratched to hell.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I ripped all my CDs and donated the discs. I don't even own a CD player anymore. Games I still play I have on a shelf in their cases. Older games are in storage.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cases and manuals get sorted into the recycling bin.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There's really no need to keep Music CDs accessible; I rip everything, and store the CDs somewhere out of the way.

Games tend to have copy protection, so iso is unlikely to work well. I find that plastic drawers work well for Jewelcase-sized games, though, and don't take up that much room. For example:
    http://www.stacksandstacks.com/iris-plastic-chest-with-wheels-3-drawer-deep-nmc-303/763/2337/?id=176&sku=20264&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase
    Bit overpriced, but that's the general idea. You can fit a lot of jewelcases in there.

For the manuals, I'm actually using a paper box, but same general idea. I wouldn't recommend throwing them out, as games have an annoying tendency to put CD-Keys in there. When I notice, I copy the key over to the jewelcase, but I still keep them as a precaution.

evilmrhenry on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Cases and manuals get sorted into the recycling bin.

I'm becoming more and more like this. The big boxes have been getting the heave-ho since I've been moving. Whatever it takes to keep life less cluttered will pay off in the long run.

LavaKnight on