As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me a car

.kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My old car I've had for years has unexpectedly died on me so I've been looking through Edmunds for my next vehicle. I'm looking for an economy car(less than $16,000) that looks... like a car(no honda fit not you). I'm also contemplating buying new. My previous car turned out to be quite the expenditure for the amount of small things that would break on it and I really just don't want to deal with it. The only car so far that I've liked that has fits my criteria is the Mazda 3.

Anyone on H/A have one that wouldn't mind sharing there thoughts on whether on not I should look into purchasing one? Alternatively, anyone have different car that they are partial to that fits the above description(reasons why would be helpful)?

Part 2: If I were to buy a car at my maximum dollar limit of $16,000 how much would this equate to in a monthly payment. I've never bought from a dealer before so I'm a little hazy on how this works.

.kbf? on

• Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you can, try and look at cars that are near-new (like an '08 model). Buying new puts you upside down on your loan almost instantly.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Check out Scion. They are made by Toyota, so they are built well. I have a 2008 Scion xB and really like it a lot. Lots of standard features and excellent safety features for $16,300. My wife liked mine so much she traded in her car and got a 2009 xB. :)

The xD is smaller and less expensive. The tC is a sports coupe and a little more expensive (same engine as the xB though). They are all pretty decent cars though.

http://www.scion.com

Count Funkula on
  • Options
    -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I also recomend that you get a used car. Will you be paying for the vehicle in cash or will you have to take out a loan?

Hondas and Toyotas are notoriously reliable and keep their value well.

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you like sporty in your econobox, it's hard to beat the Mazda3 - but that might be at the top of the price range there, and you don't want to get a totally stripped-down bare model. Base with A/C and a manual would be nice though, and as they're about to put the 2010 model out, you should be able to get a solid deal on an 09 or even 08 model still on the lot.

The article's a year old, but here's C&D's "Ten Least Expensive Cars Sold In The U.S.":
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/penny_pinchers_the_ten_least_expensive_cars_sold_in_the_u_s_feature
    2008 Chevy Aveo
    2008 Hyundai Accent
    2008 Kia Rio
    2008 Toyota Yaris
    2008 Smart Fortwo
    2008 Kia Spectra sedan
    2008 Nissan Versa
    2008 Hyundai Elantra
    2008 Suzuki Reno
    2008 Mitsubishi Lancer

Go ahead and kick the Aveo off the list, but there's some food for thought there.

That's all assuming you want new. Look for an older model (3-5 years) coming up off lease on trade and you can save a bundle.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Reposting my recommendation from the multitude of previous car threads.

I bought a 2008 Elantra GLS Sport (SE equivalent) this spring. It was rated this years top pick in the small sedan category by Consumer Reports against the Civic, Corolla, Cobalt, Aveo, Focus and Mazda3 in road test, reliability and safety tests. The only other cars recommended in that class were the Ford Focus and Subaru Impreza, so look at those as well.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=126602
    "The Elantra's top rating in the small sedan class shows how far Hyundai has come in the last decade," it said. "Its cars used to be unreliable and unrefined, with low scores in CR's tests. Now, some compete with the best in their classes."

Personally, I think it's a blast to drive. I average 35-40mpg in a mix of semi-aggressive city and highway driving. It's got lots of standard features like all around airbags, an auxiliary jack, heated seats and ABS as well as extras (which we opted for in the SE version) like fog lights, a power glass moonroof and 16" alloy wheels.

Take it for a drive and you'll love it.

Here are a couple photos of mine. (which has been tinted by a third party, not factory) Spoilered for a bunch of images.

avante7.jpg

avante8.jpg

DSC_3573.jpg

DSC_3566.jpg

DSC_3566.jpg

DSC_3573.jpg

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    If you can, try and look at cars that are near-new (like an '08 model). Buying new puts you upside down on your loan almost instantly.

I think most any car under $20k is relatively immune to this, unless you're looking to sell it back to the dealership. You can usually find last year's model or the year before's model on dealer lots for about 2k less -- not exactly a deep discount. Especially considering that buying new gets you a full warranty (which is absolutely worth something).

Shit, my '98 corolla just had 2700 of collision damage done to it and it didn't total the stupid thing.

The equations change somewhat if you're looking at private sales, but the tradeoff is financing (which I imagine the OP is interested in).

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Saturn Astra is a great car from what I've been told. I'm actually looking into getting one of my own.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Seconding Hondas and Toyotas

I have a 2000 Civic and I love it.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I actually have the Chevy Aveo 5 door and I love it. Reliable, great on gas. I'm filling my tank for 13$ and only refilling it about every 2 weeks.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you do buy a new car, you can deduct the sales tax from your taxes next year. It's not much, but you might end up saving a few hundred bucks.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Get a Saturn Astra. They are reliable and a European staple for years, and because GM has thrown Saturn dealers to the curb, you can get a very, very well equipped Astra for $16,000 (everything but leather and a sunroof).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I do wish people would buy American. For what it's worth, replacement parts are cheaper and repairs are typically faster because those parts are on hand more often. If, for example, you change your own oil, you end up saving quite a bit of money over the car's life.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Many foreign cars have more parts made in the US than American cars. It's cheaper for Toyota, Honda, etc, to tool & manufacture the bits here than it is to ship 'em over.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    $16,000 could get you a pretty nice couple year old car too, if thats an option. The luxuries (BMW, Cadillac, Jaguar, etc) should all have something in that range from about 2005 - 2007

Wezoin on
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I second a Scion tC. I've had mine for two years and I love it to death. Considering you can get a year old model for 15k sure doesn't hurt.

JRosey on
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a 2007 Yaris S sedan 5 speed. Haven't had a single problem with it, got it November 2006. The 5 speed isn't completely ballless, but I have achieved 39.7 MPG on the highway. It's basically a rebranded scion, so I guess my recommendation can be transferred to those as well.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Normally I would recommend you buy a used car (and for some models that may be the best option) but considering the sales of some of the car companies you could get some killer deals.

Anyway, the Honda Civic is always a solid option no matter what year you look at.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Many foreign cars have more parts made in the US than American cars. It's cheaper for Toyota, Honda, etc, to tool & manufacture the bits here than it is to ship 'em over.

Perhaps, but in my admittedly limited experience it's always been cheaper and faster repairing cars made here than overseas. It could be something to do with where I live, I suppose.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »

Perhaps, but in my admittedly limited experience it's always been cheaper and faster repairing cars made here than overseas. It could be something to do with where I live, I suppose.

There aren't that many cars still imported into the US. The whole "specialty import garages that work on your exotic Alfa Romeo and charge you 50x what a normal honest to God murrican garage would charge" are things of the past.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »

Many of the "imports" are built in American facilities. Case in point, the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Sonata. They're built in Alabama.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    JRosey wrote: »
    I second a Scion tC. I've had mine for two years and I love it to death. Considering you can get a year old model for 15k sure doesn't hurt.

Thirded... I have an '06 tC and would buy another in a heartbeat. If you go for an '07 or '08 model, you should be under 16k.

Here's a handy-dandy payment calculator... http://calculator-loan.info/car-loan-calculator.php

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3