As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Photo Assignment / Exercise] #14 - Heat

12345679»

• Options
    amuenchamuench Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    That snake is adorable.
    Haha, thanks. We found a few of them on a gravel path in a prairie reserve. I have a few more pictures of the little guy, but they're all more or less the same as the above, just with the snake in different positions and such.

amuench on
  • Options
    CecilsanCecilsan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    3310456593_30d8b85500.jpg

Taken w/ a pinhole camera

Cecilsan on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Awesome Cecil.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lines.jpg

I drove for 3.5 hours to the coast, and the only productive thing I did was take this photo (long story). I like how the keel merges with the ground, and the upper boat bit with the sky, but to be honest I'm rather meh about it.

Jake! on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like it. It works well in black and white (for the reasons you mentioned), and some decent texture to keep it interesting.

anable on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    can anyone teach me to photography? I'm considering picking it as my major (I know I like to take and look at photos), but I don't know any of the technical aspects of photography, especially what kind of camera I'll want. I have a lot of money (around $2,000) to spend on some gear, though I want to buy something good for an entry-level enthusiast.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    can anyone teach me to photography? I'm considering picking it as my major (I know I like to take and look at photos), but I don't know any of the technical aspects of photography, especially what kind of camera I'll want. I have a lot of money (around $2,000) to spend on some gear, though I want to buy something good for an entry-level enthusiast.

The first post of the photo thread should get you going in the right direction.

MKR on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Oops, sorry about that, Zombie...I meant this photo thread...that's also the one whose first post MKR mentioned.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Whoopsie

thank you

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I know, I know, it's March. Shut up.

3319762296_8bd9ae389d_o.jpg

Sheri on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That...is a lot of lines...

anable on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Photo Exercise #12 - Composition "Rules" #2 - Rule of Thirds
    Duration: Month of March

For the next few months, let's practice the basic 'rules' of composition. I put the word rules in quotes because we all know that (1) following these practices does not guarantee a good picture and (2) failing to follow them does not guarantee a bad picture. But it's better to be familiar with how to use these guidelines before deciding to ditch them, so why not practice them?

For the duration of these assignments, I'll be following this site (http://asp.photo.free.fr/Composition/photoProgramCompMainClass.shtml) as it has a good list of the basic rules of composition as well as some good descriptions and info. Check it out!!

For the next installment of this series, try the Rule of Thirds. <--(that's a link there, by the way)." Yes the rule of thirds has been hammered into everyone since time immemorial, and yes everyone's sick of it, and no adherence to it does not guarantee a good shot nor does ignoring it make a bad shot. But let's all get over our own personal grudges and see if we can look at the rule with new eyes, and make a masterful shot using its simple guidelines.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    CecilsanCecilsan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    3326289476_5840320d22.jpg

edit: darn scanner had dusk on it...:(

Cecilsan on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    More like rule of nerds.

(I might shoot something for this at some point during the month)

MKR on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, that's what I said about lines...
    I might shoot something about this at some point of the month, though. Really.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I know it's March but I just got the film processed because I'm forgetful, so here is "Lines"

3327372020_3024df90d3.jpg

Usagi on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Here is my submission for colour :D. Im not a photographist but I bought a new phone so I started snapping a few pictures at our block on the Murray River.
    sunset_country_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    2798910936_44c4354237_b.jpg
    Reflection and lines. DYNAMIC LINES I DO SAY!!!!!

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm taking this journalism writing class that lately has been all "oh, take pictures for the articles you write!"

My lab instructor keeps telling everyone "Take pictures with background and foreground subjects. And remember the rule of thirds! You'll get points off if your picture doesn't follow the rule of thirds!"

It kind of irks me.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You need to take a stunning picture whose composition would actually be hurt by following the rule of thirds, just to show him (her?).

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    You need to take a stunning picture whose composition would actually be hurt by following the rule of thirds, just to show him (her?).

Her.

I would, but I don't think she can look past the rule..

Fuzz on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    when it comes to format divisions, I prefer using square breaks from either sides and then the intersections of the diagonal of the whole to get hotspots. Which in the format shown on the page you linked to is very close to thirds, but in other formats it is not.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What a coincidence!

Look at the threes!

NMRtubes.jpg

Tubetips.jpg

!!

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Photo Exercise #13 - Composition "Rules" #3 - Balance
    Duration: Month of April

For the next few months, let's practice the basic 'rules' of composition. I put the word rules in quotes because we all know that (1) following these practices does not guarantee a good picture and (2) failing to follow them does not guarantee a bad picture. But it's better to be familiar with how to use these guidelines before deciding to ditch them, so why not practice them?

For the duration of these assignments, I'll be following this site (http://asp.photo.free.fr/Composition/photoProgramCompMainClass.shtml) as it has a good list of the basic rules of composition as well as some good descriptions and info. Check it out!!

For the next installment of this series, try the Balance. <--(that's a link there, by the way)." Read it, practice it, live it, LOVE IT!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, it looks like the assignment thread died. Does anyone want to keep doing these? I personally have sucked for participating in my own thread, but if people really want to do the assignment thing, I am happy to keep cranking out the topics.

What do you all think?

erisian pope on
  • Options
    kerwinkerwin Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

kerwin on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I definitely will keep on doing it, I honestly forgot about it. It'll keep me taking photos though if we keep it up. Been slacking like crazy lately.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Photo Exercise #14 - Heat
    Duration: Month of June

Ok, a couple people seemed interested, so let's try another assignment. It's getting close to summer, folks, so let's try to heat it up a little! Interpret the word however you want to, but flex those photography muscles and really try to convey heat to us through your picture(s).

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited April 2015

kerwin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hey Kerwin - neat pictures. I noticed on your flickr that these were taken back in May. I'd encourage you to take new pictures with the theme as your guide, as that's sort of the point of the assignments/exercises: to help improve our creativity by giving us topics to go out and try to communicate via photography. Finding already-taken pictures that happen to fit the theme doesn't really do the same thing.

I'm glad you posted in the thread. Think you could take the challenge and go for the challenge?

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Indeed I can. I keep trying to get out to the Eternal Flame to get some pictures. I believe that would fit quite well.

kerwin on