As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So who will have a Nintendo DSi for PAX09?

2»

• Options
    strongesthylianstrongesthylian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If battery life is an issue, invest in a mobile battery charger. One that you can recharge, or one you can stick AA batteries in. You could always find a universal charger that uses AA batteries, and just get a connector that will plug into your DS or DS Lite, and quite possibly in the future, DSi.

I'm still on my DS Phat, and I might get a DSi. But if I do, I'd still bring my Phat to PAX.

strongesthylian on
    Now known as Rondhi. Too lazy to make a new user account.
  • Options
    ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hopefully there will be a price cut on the DS-Lite when the DSi launches.
    Then perhaps I'll join this so-called "hand-held revolution"...

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be a price cut on the DS-Lite when the DSi launches.
    Then perhaps I'll join this so-called "hand-held revolution"...

I really doubt that they'll hamstring themselves by making the DS Lite look like an affordable alternative to their next juggernaut. I expect Nintendo to leave the DS alone until they see what sort of splash the DSi makes in territories outside of Japan – what expanded interactivity functions and access to a bristling software market really entail – before they can decide how they want to position the standard DS Lite for the remainder of its term.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll have a DSi but it's a Japanese one. Do we know if they'll be able to interact with the American ones? I don't see why not.

EDIT: As for battery life, I didn't notice it being much shorter than my Phat. They're almost the same, to be honest.

Djiem on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    I'll have a DSi but it's a Japanese one. Do we know if they'll be able to interact with the American ones? I don't see why not.

EDIT: As for battery life, I didn't notice it being much shorter than my Phat. They're almost the same, to be honest.

Wikipedia says that DSi specific software is region locked.

I'd be interested in the DSi for homebrew programming usage, given the camera and increased ram. I think it has interesting features to play with in that respect, but unfortunatly Nintendo made some moves to put me off of it. No GBA slot means no add on hardware. Also not compatible with current flash carts and it isn't yet known if future updates will invalidate DSi flashcarts.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    redhalo wrote: »

I'd be interested in the DSi for homebrew programming usage, given the camera and increased ram. I think it has interesting features to play with in that respect, but unfortunatly Nintendo made some moves to put me off of it. No GBA slot means no add on hardware. Also not compatible with current flash carts and it isn't yet known if future updates will invalidate DSi flashcarts.

There actually is a working flashcart for the DSi that allows homebrew on it. It's only a question of time until homebrew can utilize the improved CPU, RAM, the SD slot and the camera.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

There actually is a working flashcart for the DSi that allows homebrew on it. It's only a question of time until homebrew can utilize the improved CPU, RAM, the SD slot and the camera.

Yeah, but like I touched on before, the DSi can automatically update firmware over wifi. It would be in Nintendo's intrest to invalidate every flash cart with just an update.

redhalo on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah, but like I touched on before, the DSi can automatically update firmware over wifi. It would be in Nintendo's intrest to invalidate every flash cart with just an update.

That's disappointing, but I'm sure it will be worked around eventually. Maybe if it's possible for Nintendo to send automatic firmware updates then modders could potentially send custom firmware to a DSi through a Wii, or something similar. I dunno, we'll have to wait and see, but homebrew is half the reason I'm looking at the DSi right now. I'm waiting to see how the SD card slot is going to be exploited. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »

That's disappointing, but I'm sure it will be worked around eventually. Maybe if it's possible for Nintendo to send automatic firmware updates then modders could potentially send custom firmware to a DSi through a Wii, or something similar. I dunno, we'll have to wait and see, but homebrew is half the reason I'm looking at the DSi right now. I'm waiting to see how the SD card slot is going to be exploited. :P

Yeah, I thought that was an odd choice for Nintendo, and SD slot is just asking to be hacked. I have no doubt that resourceful people will have a permanant crack before long, I just doubt that the first run of cards will acomplish that. Being that I paid $50+ for the one I have now, I'm not looking to drop that much until the wrinkles are ironed out.

For the record, we're not discussing anything related to illegal doings with flash carts. The DS homebrew scene is quite an amazing one on it's own.

redhalo on
  • Options
    Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    parabola wrote: »
    I'll stick with my lite.
    +1

If they added new features without removing slot 2, it might be more tempting. As it is, even if I didn't have a Lite already, I think I'd pick that over the DSi.

Raptor007 on
    7nDuqUj.png
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For the record, we're not discussing anything related to illegal doings with flash carts. The DS homebrew scene is quite an amazing one on it's own.

Yeah it is an interesting scene, and the DSi will make it even more so for sure. I gotta say the Wii homebrew scene is pretty cool too. It's nice being able to play DVD movies on the Wii and play Doom with a wii-mote and nunchuck. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    BowieBowie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I won't but there is a shop in Everett that has imports on sale right now.. so I can at least say I've already had a hands on with it.

I'm sticking with my PSP, it's fun enough as a handheld for me.

Bowie on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Bowie wrote: »
    I won't but there is a shop in Everett that has imports on sale right now.. so I can at least say I've already had a hands on with it.

I'm sticking with my PSP, it's fun enough as a handheld for me.

I just happen to live in Everett, what shop would that be?

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The Next Level is the name of the shop. If you've never been to it it is a standalone store (and a nice one at that) in Downtown Northern Everett, right by the Comcast Events Center on Hewitt.

look.gif
    http://www.nextlevelvideogames.com/

Bowie on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ooooh yeah I walked past that when I saw Disturbed last month, haven't been in there yet though. Maybe I'll check that out tomorrow or sometime soon. Thanks for the info!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was at Disturbed too. XD

Hope ya like it, I've gotten to know most of the workers there and they really have it set up nice.

No problem. ^^

Bowie on
  • Options
    SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If I want to bring a camera to PAX I'll bring an actual camera, thank you.

Not to mention my PSP has all of the features of the DSi minus the camera.

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

And DS games.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

And DS games.

And people to play with at PAX. I saw a total of one PSP. I'm sure there were more, but they must have been in hiding.

redhalo on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    I think people with PSPs end up ashamed amidst the veritable sea of DSs and don't take them out of their pockets.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2009
    I did have my PSP with me but I only played the DS

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just got a PSP at Christmas, so that and my DS lite will have to do. If I ever stop playing any/all of my GBA carts AND my Lite dies, or if at least 5 games are out or announced that I MUST have and can't use properly on my Lite, then I'll grab a DSi. Either way, it'll be after PAX tho for financial reasons.

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The blue one looks tasty. I've never been into colored versions, but seriously.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Since my cell phone does all of the things the DSi does, I'm not exactly going to pay extra to get a DSi....

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I might grab a white one to bring over. It's about time I upgraded my original.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think I might upgrade to a DSi if I sell off my DS Lite. HINT HINT ;) enamel navy from Japan with box and papers ::COUGH:: COUGH:: Oh sorry about that, gots me a little cold.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    MaoChan wrote: »
    I think I might upgrade to a DSi if I sell off my DS Lite. HINT HINT ;) enamel navy from Japan with box and papers ::COUGH:: COUGH:: Oh sorry about that, gots me a little cold.

Ugh, I almost bought one when I was shopping for a unique DS, but don't really care for blue. All the other imported DS's at the time were discontinued colors/prints and ridiculously expensive. I think I'm gonna try for a DYI paint job.

redhalo on
This discussion has been closed.