As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My monitor pissed itself!

NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
The image has a mustard yellow tint to it. Now, I've managed to track down the problem to it's source.. The cable linked to my tower has a short in it somewhere (specifically near where it connects into the tower). It appears that my monitor isn't receiving any information for blue color, basically.

Now, if I bend the cable at a 90 degree angle where the short appears to be, the color comes in fine. I don't exactly want to wrap a rubber band around the cable to keep in bent though, for obvious reasons. Admittedly, my monitor is a champ, going on eight years now. It's probably time to put the old thing out of its misery and get a new one (poor thing is suffering from incontinence).

Anyways, to the question: The cable doesn't plug into the back of my monitor, it's quite attached. Would it be possible to rewire the cable to get another year or two out of this monitor? Should I just go ahead and bend it, and hope it lasts me another month or two til I can purchase a replacement? Should I buy it some Depends?

Help!

IHZR47b.png
Nerdtendo on

• Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes, it's technically possible to re-wire the cable. Consider that you're going to need to splice and re-solder 15 wires. Wiring tables are easy to find.

The bigger question is, "do you want to." If it were me, I'd elastic band the cable and start saving money for a new monitor. It's going to crap out eventually, might as well use the excuse to buy a new one.

EDIT: I've changed my mind. I think I'd do the elastic band thing until I could afford a new monitor, then sit down, and try re-wiring the plug. If it works, free money, if not I was planning on buying the monitor anyway.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fair enough. I've been considering getting a new one anyways. I like my old one, as it's a nice big 24 incher :winky:, but I dislike it because it's a nice big CRC.

A little extra desk space will be nice.. Guess I'm going to be grabbing a new monitor for my birthday.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This exact same problem actually happened to me, except that when it shorted out I lost the entire picture.

I did rewire the cable, but it took quite a long time.

I had to go about it in a convoluted way as well, because the new cord I bought to splice in had different colours. I couldn't use the old cord's connector because the tear in the wire was too close to the connecter.

So, I drew a picture of the connector and labeled each one. I knew which pin on the old connector went to which colour wire on it. Then I made a similar one for the new connector. Then, I just matched them. I used a home-made tester using a christmas bulb and a battery, but you can get an actual tester for like 5-10 bucks which would make things a bit easier/quicker.

TL;DR: It's very possible to rewire it and requires no actual skill, just lots of time and patience. It will save you a few hundred dollars, so it's time well spent.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Sin Twin 1Sin Twin 1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My monitor is crapping out on me also, Its not very old, just a few years. The problem i am having is when it goes into stand by mode or hybernate or whatever you call it (when the screen goes blank) It will not come back after moving the mouse or using the keyboard. The little light in the corner will just blink on and off.

It takes me about an hour of restarting over and over before it will finnally work again. I have checked the cables and display settings and have no clue as to wtf is going on here.

Sin Twin 1 on
    Sin+Twin+1.png
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sin Twin 1 wrote: »
    My monitor is crapping out on me also, Its not very old, just a few years. The problem i am having is when it goes into stand by mode or hybernate or whatever you call it (when the screen goes blank) It will not come back after moving the mouse or using the keyboard. The little light in the corner will just blink on and off.

It takes me about an hour of restarting over and over before it will finnally work again. I have checked the cables and display settings and have no clue as to wtf is going on here.

That sounds more like a graphics card problem. Does it do it every time? If so can you connect it to a friends computer and see if the problem persists?

Or do you have a spare graphics card kicking around that you can trouble shoot?

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's happened to me as well. I never did fix it, the problem just went away...

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]