As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shell hosting

VistiVisti Registered User regular
Hi, guys - I've been thinking about shell hosting and how it would be neat to have something like that, but let me just see if I got the concept straight.. For starters, provided the server's running linux, I can remotely log into the shell using a familiar unix commandline and perform all my regular commands, right?

Can I use it to just store a bunch of files? Will I be able to perhaps use it to host a webpage? How about hosting something like a MUD? Or are these questions dependent on the provider?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Visti on

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    Hi, guys - I've been thinking about shell hosting and how it would be neat to have something like that, but let me just see if I got the concept straight.. For starters, provided the server's running linux, I can remotely log into the shell using a familiar unix commandline and perform all my regular commands, right?

Yes.
    Can I use it to just store a bunch of files? Will I be able to perhaps use it to host a webpage? How about hosting something like a MUD? Or are these questions dependent on the provider?

All of those are dependent upon the provider, but not offering SFTP access is stupid and you should avoid any company that doesn't offer that. While you can use scp for transferring files you should use SFTP (which shouldn't be confused with FTP over SSH as SFTP is a very different protocol) or rsync (very handy for things that aren't one-shot transfers).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Yes.

All of those are dependent upon the provider, but not offering SFTP access is stupid and you should avoid any company that doesn't offer that. While you can use scp for transferring files you should use SFTP (which shouldn't be confused with FTP over SSH as SFTP is a very different protocol) or rsync (very handy for things that aren't one-shot transfers).

Thanks! Is there a solution closer to the flexibility (basically storage with few more options) I want or did I sorta get it right in looking at shell providers?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Thanks! Is there a solution closer to the flexibility (basically storage with few more options) I want or did I sorta get it right in looking at shell providers?

You can get SSH access to a web server with any good web host, but those accounts usually don't permit the user to run processes (which means no MUD server). You can find shell providers that let you host a web site, but I can't recommend any services because I run a SSH server on my home PC for personal use.

Barrakketh on
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You could look into Slicehost. You get a VM with your choice of Linux and root access to it.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    You could look into Slicehost. You get a VM with your choice of Linux and root access to it.

That sounds great! Also sounds expensive, I'll check it out presto, though.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »

That sounds great! Also sounds expensive, I'll check it out presto, though.

The $20/month thing isn't bad. You might be used to seeing cheap hosts, but they are usually crap or will freeze your account if it looks like you're even approaching their advertised limits (that puts them in the crap category).

I read up on their service and you basically get a virtual server with a dedicated amount of RAM, fixed storage and bandwidth, a Linux distro of your choosing based on what they offer (you can get Ubuntu if you really want to), etc. As far as the software goes you can basically do anything that you could do if you were to install a Linux distro on your home PC.

Barrakketh on