As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most bizarre/gross thing you've eaten? [Altalicious loves rotten urine-soaked fish]

CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I really never thought I'd be the one to make a thread like this, being a fairly conservative eater (I don't even eat sushi!), but I just played an awful awful prank on myself, so here I am.

Before I get to my story, the thread is fairly self-explanatory. What's the weirdest, most bizarre, most gross thing you've ever eaten? I'm sure plenty of you have been to strange places in Africa and Asia where the boundary between food and ohmygodwhatthefuck is blurred.
-What did it taste like?
-What did it look like?
-Why did you try it?
-Did you like it?
-Would you have it again?

I thought my story was bad, but below you'll see Elki's spoiler'ed photos... what the fuck.
Altalicious also gets props for his horrific fish story, though not quite as many props as Elki since Elki actually got annoyed with his food because it fought for its life.

Anyway, now for my (less gruesome) story...

I was in the Chinese supermarket today, and thought I'd do a fun experiment with my friends. I'd buy 4 cans of Chinese drinks that looked weird, and then have my friends and I taste-test them before I let them know what they were. I'm practically setting the stage for disaster, I know.

So I poured the drinks into little cups for me, Soco_and_Lime, and Mau. The first three beverages were fairly drinkable, and we all generally survived it. It was Grass Jelly Drink, "Sarsaparilla" Soda, and Artichoke Drink. I only mention it to further emphasize just how conservative of an eater I am, that I thought these drinks were so daring to try. Onto the final drink...

Now I thought I knew what the drink was, and I thought it was really weird, yet still drinkable (if I try only a little bit). It's called "Hashima with Bird's Nest" drink. I have no idea what Hashima is, but bird's nest sure sounds weird, right? Drinking a part of a tree is about as daring as I was willing to go.

So I pour the drink, if pour is the correct word. It kind of oozed out in a viscous way into the little cups. Rather than describe it, I took a photo:
IMG_0655.jpg

So me, Soco_and_Lime, and Mau each take our little cups and take a sip. This is promptly followed by gagging, coughing, and a variety of impolite words getting expressed. So once I explain to them that it's some drink called "Hashima with Bird's Nest", we try to figure out what the hell that actually means.

-Bird's Nest: A few species of swift, the cave swifts, are renowned for building the saliva nests used to produce the unique texture of this soup. Wikipedia. So instead of drinking a twig, I'm actually consuming bird saliva.

-Hashima: Ugh... I'm getting nauseous just having to write about it. Wikipedia'ing Hashima came up with a meteorite, an abandoned island, a district of Japan, and a Japanese city. Apparently, Wikipedia doesn't think Hashima is edible -- neither do I. I had to take my search to Google, where I discovered Hashima is also known as "Snow Frog Jelly". Wikipedia says: "made from the dried fallopian tubes of the Asiatic Grass Frog".

I don't know whether to gag, cry, or curl up into a ball and whimper. Why would anyone think bird spit and frog reproductive organs are good ingredients for a soda?!

So, what's the weirdest, most bizarre, most gross thing you've ever eaten? I'm not sure I'll have the stomach to read your replies, but post anyway!

Cognisseur on

• Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's fucked up.

How does a dish like that get created? I mean, dried fallopian tubes are pretty damn specific. Some bloke must have had them specifically on his mind when he tried drying them and eating them.

Duki on
  • Options
    Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I had chocolate coated cricket once

I would describe it as decent

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I used to eat sand.

It was okay.

Needed salt.

--

As for that soda, I expect its origin is as folk medicine.

http://shoppingmumsparadise.blogspot.com/2008/01/snow-frog-jelly-hashima.html

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What is strange and/or bizarre to one person... :P

Growing up in an Chinese household, I've had my share of "what the hell is this thing/is in this thing" moments, but I'd like to think I've got an open mind for trying the stranger things in herbal medicine/international cuisine. One thing that sticks out to me as just plain terrible though, was when my friend gave me one of these to try: http://www.brandsworld.com.my/cms.www/main.aspx?sid=196

Now, being a little skeptical of anything being called "essence of chicken with cordyceps(!)" and having watched one particular episode of Planet Earth, I did a brief search on this "cordyceps." And then I remembered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCOQ0VU24xw

Oh, right. Oh right, mind-control fungus. Oh, ew.

But supposedly it has a lot of health benefits, and the drink, though slightly bitter, wasn't terrible. Tasted like a herbal chicken broth... which was exactly what it was, I guess. I drank it even after I knew what it was, then had another the next day. After finding out what exactly cordyceps was, though, my friend couldn't touch it again. (But it's good for you!) :P

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bizarre-Foods-L.jpg

Myself? Bull testicles.

They weren't bad.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I had this stuff that had some millenium eggs, tofu, cilantro, and some sort of teriyaki sauce and beat together in a bowl.

Apparently the Chinese love it.

Quid on
  • Options
    FloofyFloofy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Chicken intestines.

Not bad. Weird texture. Sort of like meaty noodles.

Floofy on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In survival training I tried to see if I could eat a banana slug.

I can't. But on the other hand, I can eat half a banana slug and lots and lots of slime.

My teeth were shiny for weeks.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    I had this stuff that had some millenium eggs, tofu, cilantro, and some sort of teriyaki sauce and beat together in a bowl.

I'm not sure I'm familiar with that particular recipe, but thousand year old eggs in congee? Mmmmm.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    gah! Science is both disgusting and awesome.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    SilverWind wrote: »

I'm not sure I'm familiar with that particular recipe, but thousand year old eggs in congee? Mmmmm.
    That looks similar but tofu in place of rice. At least for ours. Maybe because the guy cooking it is Taiwanese.

And each of the individual ingredients weren't bad, but altogether it was pretty bad. I finished mine but had to wash the last bite down with plenty of soda.

Quid on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've tried a lot of the standard weird stuff. Tripe, tongue, baby octopus--nothing too out there.

That drink sounds vile. Perhaps even more importantly, it looks vile. That is the wrong viscosity and color for something I'm supposed to put in my mouth.

MrMister on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The worst food I've ever eaten is lutefisk.

It has about the same consistency of rubber cement. And while the taste of the gunk is entirely foul, it still pales in comparison to the overall stench of the dish. You know, most terrible foods I can chalk up to a drunken wager, but this takes almost two week to prepare. How the hell do you come up with this?

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

That looks similar but tofu in place of rice. At least for ours. Maybe because the guy cooking it is Taiwanese.

And each of the individual ingredients weren't bad, but altogether it was pretty bad. I finished mine but had to wash the last bite down with plenty of soda.

Do try congee sometime! It's a very light meal and makes you feel toasty-warm. If the person who prepared the dish was just a friend, they might just be a bad cook... though I've noticed that thousand year old eggs sometimes have a bad aftertaste (I have no idea why).

And yes, that drink did have an extremely strange viscosity to it. Sort of oily, a little too smooth.

On an unrelated note, it's really strange eating food you think is normal with people who are unused to it. I took my friends to dim sum (it blew my mind a little that this was a new thing for them... come on, they all lived in huge populous cities with a huge asian population) and the first thing the cart ladies brought over was chicken's feet
    16493706_54654239e6.jpg
    -- no big deal, right? I didn't realize why they were staring at me funny until one of them remarked "Oh god, what is that?" I wasn't trying to psyche them out or anything. :|

(The second dish was tripe and they got a kick out of looking at that, too.)

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    Things I Enjoy Eating, but Others Consider Weird, the Lamb Edition:

Raw liver & lung (never refrigerated, right after slaughter) with onion and homemade sauce:
    fashafeesh.JPG

Bonus (me preparing the lungs):

lungs.JPG

Head (NSFW or humanity):
    100_0645.jpg

head.JPG

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thank you for reminding me of my horrifying experience at Qatar's meat market Elki.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If the person who prepared the dish was just a friend, they might just be a bad cook...
    Nah, a teacher. Fairly experience guy too and the rest of the teachers loved it so I'm pretty sure it was more of us not being accustomed to it.

Quid on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Deep fried pig brain tacos.

Soooo good.

Also, depending on your taste, you might find a lot of things in this to be disgusting or gross.

Or just plain old delicious.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Tyler the GreatTyler the Great Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    human baby

It was excellent

Tyler the Great on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Things I Enjoy Eating, but Others Consider Weird, the Lamb Edition:

Raw liver & lung (never refrigerated, right after slaughter) with onion and homemade sauce:
    fashafeesh.JPG

Bonus (me preparing the lungs):

lungs.JPG

Head:
    100_0645.jpg

head.JPG

Do you not heat it or what? I mean.. bacteria or.. something.

Magus` on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But Elki, it's looking right at you. D:

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I need to compile a list at the end of this thread and get out there and try stuff. I'm of the opinion that nothing could gross me out, if it can be eaten I would like to eat it. Not to brag or try to challenge myself, just to experience different tastes. This goes for human as well. I'm no cannibal by any means and I'm certainly a non-violent person but I enjoy the different flavors of meat, I don't think I would have much of an objection to trying human meat.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And while we're on this subject, fuck picky eaters. And I don't mean the ones that continue to only eat certain things, but the ones who refuse to try new things. There's a guy in my class that wouldn't even eat a gyro.

Quid on
  • Options
    Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Well... I've eaten steak tartare numerous times, but it is a fairly common dish right?

Duck's blood soup is fucking delicious. So good.

I remember when I was really little in Poland buying a duck at the market. One of the best parts is playing with the duck on the way home. One of the worst is watching your father slit its throat over top a bowl. The absolute worst part? Your parents telling you that the duck was Donald Duck.

Phil G. on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Head:
    100_0645.jpg

This is the most unsettling picture I have seen in a while Elki.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    Nik HuzeNik Huze Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've had skunk meat chili. A vietnam vet made it for me from roadkill. Suprisingly tasty!

Nik Huze on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And while we're on this subject, fuck picky eaters. And I don't mean the ones that continue to only eat certain things, but the ones who refuse to try new things. There's a guy in my class that wouldn't even eat a gyro.

I tried a little taste of gyro sauce and decided I hated it. Never went on to try the whole thing.

But yea, some people are ridiculous. My father has refused to ever try chinese food, or any sort of stir fry. I have to be pretty careful what I cook for my parents when we visit, because he's such a picky guy.
    Phil G. wrote: »
    Well... I've eaten steak tartare numerous times, but it is a fairly common dish right?

Duck's blood soup is fucking delicious. So good.

I remember when I was really little in Poland buying a duck at the market. One of the best parts is playing with the duck on the way home. One of the worst is watching your father slit its throat over top a bowl. The absolute worst part? Your parents telling you that the duck was Donald Duck.

This thread makes me think of him a lot, but an episode of Bizarre Foods had a duck breast meal in Paris served in a sauce made of crushed duck carcass and blood. It looked delicious.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does eating something accidentally count? When I was 4, I found a raisin on the floor of my room and ate it. Quickly discovered that it was a small piece of poop, most likely shaken loose from one of our cats.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Oh, lord. I grew up on several different continents, and the people who raised me were foodies. I've done it all.

-Fermented whale blubber.

-Scorpion.

-Jellyfish.

-Lutefisk.

-Balut.

-Live octopus.

-Durian.

-This strange, half rotted Sardinian cheese I forget how to spell so can't Google for the name.

-Bull testicles (in a soup with bull asshole)

-All of the typical pig/cow/monkey brain/tongue stuff you could imagine.

-Many different types of insects, the nastiest I recall being stir fried bees.

-Heart, still beating, from a snake.

...I think that covers most of the stuff I can remember from the top of my head. What's funny is nowadays I'm 21 and my palette is pretty sensitive. I find olives, coconut, and sashimi gross enough to arouse my gag reflex. Funny how it works, I guess.

Organichu on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As a kid I was so into TMNT I decided it would be cool to put peanut butter on pizza and eat it.

That's the grossest thing I've ever eaten.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What the $#^#?! Freshly slaughtered raw flesh? Beating heart of a snake?!
    Why the hell did I make this thread? This is just way too unsettling.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    I used to put yellow mustard on cold pizza.

Organichu on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Horse sushi, and an entire baby squid-thing. Like, it was whole and soaking in a kind of vinegar-y sauce. First bite exposed my mouth to its intestines, and then I exposed my mouth to the rest of my beer.

Oh, also have had intestines (pork, I think) here. Not bad, but I can't eat much otherwise I get nauseous.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I used to eat coal as a child. I thought it was raw potatoes (they were both stored in sacks) which makes slighlty more sense.

Starcross on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cheese.

Think about it.

You squeeze things on a cow or goat, take the liquid that leaks out, let it rot, then eat the solid block that remains.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    -Durian.

Oh god.

One of my exes swears by these.

I had Durian Ice Cream once.

BLAAARGH

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not that I've eaten this, but...

youknowwhatjustno.jpg

1170% of your recommended daily cholesterol intake.

k'jdfo[igjddoi[uh93w8re[whj

Duki on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Duki wrote: »
    Not that I've eaten this, but...

youknowwhatjustno.jpg

1170% of your recommended daily cholesterol intake.

k'jdfo[igjddoi[uh93w8re[whj
    D: Just... D:

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I hear that deer brain is a popular thing to scramble with eggs.

Also, it smells horrible, even when fresh from the skull.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    people eat some weird shit, man

you guys have out-weirded me by far, what with the bird saliva and frog reproductive organ drinks, raw lamb lungs, and still-beating snake hearts

the best I've got (that comes to mind, anyways) is fried fish eyeballs, alligator, and grilled octopus, all of which I enjoyed.

Oh, I used to eat ants when I was really young, too.

So, nothing weird at all, really.

Eupfhoria on
    steam_sig.png