As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mexico: Possible failed state

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well we should give a shit because all that shit is going to move upstream.

I mean it already is. I can barely walk 2 blocks without some 'M13' graffiti tag done by some dumbass kid.

But, you know, fuck the people.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey, I'm not the one suggesting landmines and mercenaries units to protect our borders.

Casually Hardcore on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i live and go to school in san diego, and i got to a school that has quite a few duel citizenship families from mexico. As in at least a quarter or my class of 50.

As of about a year ago all of their respective kin have moved completely out of mexico/tj and i know at least two that recieved death threats while living in TJ. as of now i doubt any of them have even checked on their houses or places of work across the border.

That place alone has gone nuts, but the border is still practically wide open and San Diego is still completely fine.

Barcardi on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey, I'm not the one suggesting landmines and mercenaries units to protect our borders.

Someone needs to play TF2 more.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

This is the internet.

People are sarcastic here.

Incenjucar on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

Don't forget mimes.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    i live and go to school in san diego, and i got to a school that has quite a few duel citizenship families from mexico. As in at least a quarter or my class of 50.

As of about a year ago all of their respective kin have moved completely out of mexico/tj and i know at least two that recieved death threats while living in TJ. as of now i doubt any of them have even checked on their houses or places of work across the border.

That place alone has gone nuts, but the border is still practically wide open and San Diego is still completely fine.

Well if I'm a cartel boss in Tijuana, is it better to let a debtor skip town to the states, where he'll probably end up getting shipped back south in a year or two, or pursue him at great cost and risk to men and materials, possibly starting an international incident that leads to increased border patrols and reduces my net profits?

TL DR on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Maybe

and now, this might seem completely CRAZY

but maybe, people were joking

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Try telling that to the landmine victims.

Casually Hardcore on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh jesus, where's that eyeroll gif when I need it.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    icon_roll.gif

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Try telling that to the landmine victims.
    Most of those people are not, in fact, Mexican.

Fencingsax on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can we give the Mexican army and police more guns? The side with the most guns wins the war, right?

emnmnme on
    edited March 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Can we give the Mexican army and police more guns? The side with the most guns wins the war, right?

Giving the Mexican army and police more guns is the same as giving more guns to the drug lords.

Incenjucar on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I come in expecting something of quality, but what I got is a bunch of kids making one liners and creaming in their pants as they fantasize about killing fleeing refugees.

Mexico is a fucked up place. So fuck up that I refuse to go down there even if my family begs me to go. There's no interest in Mexico, cause frankly Mexico haves nothing of value.

It has human beings.

Since when lives are consider valuable? According to the overpopulation thread the best thing that could happen is a worldwide plague that kills 90% of the population.
    According to who besides the sociopath that is Detharin?

Quid on
    edited March 2009
    Casually Hardcore on
    edited March 2009
    Incenjucar on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, great. Now there's another group of people I'm fucking terrified of.

Fencingsax on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ITT: We learn that sometimes, people post stupid opinions on the internet.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    According to who in the thread you mentioned. Not random hobos on street corners.

Quid on
    edited March 2009

No really, it's not.

See, no talk of Homeworld or anything.

Kagera on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

Giving the Mexican army and police more guns is the same as giving more guns to the drug lords.

Or it's just increasing the cash flow of the Mexican army and police.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    We should just evacuate all americans in a 50 mile wide path from ocean to ocean and continuously bombard that strip with tactical nuclear weapons

It would... stimulate the economy or something

Is there any chance that the US military or DEA could help with the situation? We can be reasonably sure that neither of those organizations would bend to the cartels.

But really, legalization is really the best bet. You effectively let the air out of the tires of the Cartels.

override367 on
  • EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    watching 60 Minutes tonight didn't make me feel too confident about Mexico's future. Their main problem is corruption, once they control that the fighting crime will follow. Whenever that is...

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In all seriousness, is there any chance that the US military or DEA could help with the situation? We can be reasonably sure that neither of those organizations would bend to the cartels.

There are only so many SEAL teams...

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Unofficial tallies by the news media put the death toll so far this year at more than 300 in the state of Chihuahua, where Juarez is located.

If this is pronounced how I think it is, I foresee a lot of really bad political cartoons on this subject in the near future.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

edited March 2009
    Travan wrote: »
    Unofficial tallies by the news media put the death toll so far this year at more than 300 in the state of Chihuahua, where Juarez is located.

If this is pronounced how I think it is, I foresee a lot of really bad political cartoons on this subject in the near future.

Um, where do you think the name of that breed of dog comes from?

Kagera on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well we should give a shit because all that shit is going to move upstream.

I mean it already is. I can barely walk 2 blocks without some 'M13' graffiti tag done by some dumbass kid.

You mean MS 13. Which is a central american gang. Not mexican. Salvadorans.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So what options would we (the United States) have if the situation goes to complete hell down there?

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited March 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    So what options would we (the United States) have if the situation goes to complete hell down there?

Send in the Canucks.

Kagera on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

Send in the Canucks.

Good idea. Hockey, Bioware and Mounties solve everything.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Travan wrote: »

Um, where do you think the name of that breed of dog comes from?

I figured as much, I just didn't want to come out and say that and look foolish in case they were just spelled similarly.

In all seriousness, while I can see why legalization could likely help, there is about a snowball's chance in, well, Mexico, of it ever happening. I'm sure the family values groups alone could skin any attempt alive before it ever got off the ground.

Of course, if we're just spitballing possible solutions, just forget I never posted.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

edited March 2009

Send in the Canucks.

Good idea. Hockey, Bioware and Mounties solve everything.

They'll be so nice it'll catch the gangs off guard and then POW with the Moose Charge.

Kagera on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MEXICAN CIVIL WAR AVERTED
    "Timbits are really good" says faction leader

TL DR on
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What do you think the chances are of mexico legalizing pot?

I know they've been discussing it, and the benefits are obvious, both economically and in hindering the drug cartels, but I'm sure the US would have some serious problems with it, and that might cause repacussions for them

NotYou on
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    NotYou wrote: »

I know they've been discussing it, and the benefits are obvious, both economically and in hindering the drug cartels, but I'm sure the US would have some serious problems with it, and that might cause repacussions for them
    I could be wrong, but I'm not so sure legalizing weed would have that much of an effect on these cartels. I always figured cocaine and heroin were more important for their profits. But I haven't done any real research on Mexican drug cartels, so don't quote me on it.

Kaputa on
    edited March 2009
    Kaputa wrote: »

I could be wrong, but I'm not so sure legalizing weed would have that much of an effect on these cartels. I always figured cocaine and heroin were more important for their profits. But I haven't done any real research on Mexican drug cartels, so don't quote em on it.

This is true to a degree, but you have to consider that marijuana is the most widely consumed illegal drug by far. There are plenty of regular, life-long consumers of pot that would never touch the harder drugs, or even feel comfortable buying their soft drugs from someone who also sold the harder stuff.

TL DR on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Kaputa wrote: »

I could be wrong, but I'm not so sure legalizing weed would have that much of an effect on these cartels. I always figured cocaine and heroin were more important for their profits. But I haven't done any real research on Mexican drug cartels, so don't quote em on it.

This is true to a degree, but you have to consider that marijuana is the most widely consumed illegal drug by far. There are plenty of regular, life-long consumers of pot that would never touch the harder drugs, or even feel comfortable buying their soft drugs from someone who also sold the harder stuff.

Yes, but pot is incredibly resilient, and nobody in Mexico can afford much anyway. It's mainly a trade corridor.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So is the U.S. were to legalize cocaine, would the Mexican drug cartels survive?
    This post should not be construed as endorsement of legal cocaine.

Hachface on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I heard on the radio tonight as I was driving home that the economy is actually good and still growing strongly in most South American countries.

So factor that into whatever projections you want to make about how a collapse in Mexico plays out.

Speaker on