As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prank 2009: You Know You Want To (But Can't Anymore :p)

JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
Volunteering submissions are now closed until PAX! Thanks for everyone who joined and everyone who gave us their support. We might recruit during PAX so pay attention to this the week before the show for the info you need to know what's going on.

With the announcement of preregistration for PAX, many community events start to ramp up their planning for the approaching awesome. Everything from Buttoneering, Cookie Brigade, CCST, and the Pre-PAX Dinner are in their full planning stages in order to bring even more to the experience that is PAX.

This year, I’m officially announcing a new community tradition, the PAX Prank. As some of you may know, HotSake, proximity, ClickPicTony, and myself came to PAX 08 last year with an idea. An idea based on a little supervillian musical written by Joss Whedon. It came to be known as Bad Horsing, Horse-Rolling, and The New Rickroll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC3v_Q1RAyE

By the end of the weekend, a few PAX-goers, as well as Wil Wheaton, Adam Sessler, Felicia Day, Jonathan Coulton, and Gabe and Tycho themselves, had seen the letter from the ELE and been serenaded by the mustached minstrels. It was such a success that we were not told, were not asked, we were practically ordered to come up with another “prank” for the next year.

We sat and thought about it, and decided to rise to the challenge and to raise the stakes as well. This year, we want to do something a little larger in scale, but still as fun loving and hilarious as the previous prank. To do that we need your help.

Before we continue, just to show that we are not evil bastards, we have come up with a mission statement for this year’s prank, and any subsequent pranks that will bear the name of a “PAX Prank.”

The PAX Prank strives to be fun for everyone involved, be it the one(s) being pranked (henceforth known as “targets”) or the ones pranking (henceforth “pranksters”). The PAX Prank will never be something with malicious intent. It will strive to never embarrass targets (much). It will be mindful of people who want no part in it, will not push the issue, and will always respect the authority figures of Penny Arcade Inc., PAX, and Greater Seattle/Boston. The PAX prank will not cause any damage emotionally, physically, or financially to anyone, whether they are involved directly or indirectly.

Now, to keep the purity of the reactions of potential targets, I cannot detail what exactly we are planning here. What I can say is that we need to recruit. If you would like to join in on our fun please post here, PM myself or HotSake, or send an email to paxprank@gmail.com. Please do not respond if you cannot fit within the confines of the mission statement above or the criteria below.

You must not be opposed to Twitter and preferably can get SMS updates. Twitter is how we are going to coordinate the various pranks that we will do over the weekend. I know some hate the site with a passion (I was once one of you), but it simply is the quickest way to get info out to our pranksters.

You must be at least moderately outgoing. What we will do will call a lot of attention to ourselves. We will probably be targeting some of the celebrities that are at PAX as well, and are more than likely going to be working with the PAX DVD crew directly. In other words, YOU WILL BE SEEN! If attention, social interaction, and having people probably laughing at you and/or wanting to praise you/shake your hand -- among other things -- upsets you, you need not look any further.

You must be able to keep a secret. Most of what we are doing is already planned out, but there are still some things that won't be planned or even conceived until we get closer to show time. There will be mass emails, Skype calls, and meetings happening between now and then. Like I said, we want to keep the reactions of our targets pure; surprise is the key here. If people are going around telling all about the details of the prank, word WILL get around and people WILL be wary. Horsing worked so well last year because no one knew what was going on, initially. Since we are getting more people in on the joke, the potential for leaks increases, so please don’t sign up if you know you are bad about keeping a secret.

You must be available either Thursday night or Friday morning before the show opens. This rule is a little more lenient. Most of us will be doing the Pre-PAX dinner, Pub Crawl, or the like, so specifics at this time are sketchy. This is for a last minute meeting to go over anything that might have come up, and give opportunities for a run through of the physical prank. It will be coordinated to fit everyone’s schedules as best we can, and we will do two meetings if needed, but if you can’t be there on either day for 15 to 30 minutes tops, don’t bother signing up.

This is going to be fun, guys; hopefully we can get another huge response from the show and show goers this year. Keep watching http://www.epicdefault.com and the forum for updates!

Fellow Pranksters
Definites (and Have E-mail in our possession):
1. JonnyNero
3. clickpictony
4. tehnakki
5. eye-shuh
6. Azazel
7. ElectricTurtle
8. The_Reflection
9. chelseabot
10. BrokenAngel
11. nemaihne
12. SpawnOfCthulhu
13. That_Spoony_Bard
14. s7arbuck
15. Axas
16. MeeOk
17. shugarae
18. VThornheart
19. mentok1982
20. The_Saves
21. Coldbrew (taking video as well)
22. Ty1012
23. ninjowned
24. Jordman12 (taking video as well)
25. Samyel
26. Bambooza
27. MetaverseNomad
28. AburnFlags
29. RandomFool
30. Cuzza
31. AltDelete
32. emorimiku
33,. proXimity

Still need emails from:
SergeantAuberie

Mayhaps:
bjacobs

JonnyNero on

• Options
    tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    oh hell yeah, sign me up :) I love a good prank!

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    *raises hand* I wanna play!

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    You guys are gonna have a hard time topping last year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I don't know about that...we didn't just pick the name "Epic Default Productions" because it sounded cool

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would also love to participate, but in the way of making sure we can get as much of this on film as possible. Rather you get the attention of the official PAX DVD or not, I would be glad to be able to have a camera ready whenever something is about to happen and get it on our Community DVD. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I don't know about that...we didn't just pick the name "Epic Default Productions" because it sounded cool

Oh! Oh! Is it because epic is your default? :D

I'll look into this a bit. I didn't get to see any of it live last year, but you got great reactions from what I saw in the movies.

I'd also like to have more of a "full" PAX experience. Last year I missed out on a lot of stuff I should have done, but I had a blast doing just basic stuff. I'm sure doing more than loafing around BYOC or console freeplay or the show floor will make this year even better. :D

Just a question: if we find out the prank and find it's something we might not want to do after all, or we are unable to do it for a some reason (say, requires the use of both hands and I happen to break my arm), would it be possible to skip out as long as we still keep the prank a secret?

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited February 2009
    I don't want to sound like a party pooper or anything, but i figured i'd pop in really quick - you've obviously considered the whole italicized bit (which i thank you for), but the only other thing i ask is that whatever you guys do not be disruptive to the traffic flow of the show. We're being watched like hawks this year from the fire marshal and the center, so if it's going to A, create mass crowds in public areas or B stop the flow of traffic (especially around the escalator areas), to avoid it.

I FEEL LIKE AN OLD MAN NOW.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Might as well jump on the bandwagon before the flood. Im sure in the next few months we can come up with something that wont disturb the "flow" :-P

Azazel on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm torn, I'd like to be a part of this, but I also have so much stuff on my plate. Can we nail down the meeting for Friday morning? My wife and I have to go from running the dinner to running House Slytherin (so she tells me) for Atlus (just saying that makes me feel dirty, since not only do I hate Harry Potter, but my wife is pushing hard for me to literally cosplay Snape), so Thursday night is pretty much completely out. Also, what kind of time demand is there going to be during PAX itself? The Bad Horse thing was awesome because it was just 'get your hat so we can do this person' and if it's like that again I'm completely on board, but I'm kind of a chickenshit about missing panels or other substantial things. That's why I never took up The Black.

Oh and Khoo, you're probably going to age like Sean Connery such that women will still be throwing themselves at you even when you're old enough to be their grandfather.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ekkosangen wrote: »

Just a question: if we find out the prank and find it's something we might not want to do after all, or we are unable to do it for a some reason (say, requires the use of both hands and I happen to break my arm), would it be possible to skip out as long as we still keep the prank a secret?

I don't know...we may have to rip out your tounge....just to be sure :p
    I don't want to sound like a party pooper or anything, but i figured i'd pop in really quick - you've obviously considered the whole italicized bit (which i thank you for), but the only other thing i ask is that whatever you guys do not be disruptive to the traffic flow of the show. We're being watched like hawks this year from the fire marshal and the center, so if it's going to A, create mass crowds in public areas or B stop the flow of traffic (especially around the escalator areas), to avoid it.

Will do! Basically what this is, is to get a pool of people together, so that when we make a tweet to say "We're targeting some one at such and such place at this time," people can show up as they please. They don't have to drop what they are doing to come and play a prank. We'll add a "we only need X number of people." to it...just to make sure we're not going to disrupt anything.
    Can we nail down the meeting for Friday morning? ...Also, what kind of time demand is there going to be during PAX itself?

For you man, we can do anything! And the prank will take 5-10 minutes for meetup, setup, and execution. It's essentially the same concept as Horsing, implementation wise, just with more people.

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm in for this jonny

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    In light of these recent revelations I would like to stand and be counted.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have sent an email as to be contacted easier, but I am formally signing up right here, if you'll have me.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    AxasAxas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh man, I would love in on this!

Axas on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You should know I'm in for it

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm in for anything I'm not on shift for <3

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Actually, could everyone who wants to participate send an email to paxprank (at) gmail.com from the address you'd like to use for prank news and updates? We'll be sending out material as we get closer to the event.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Axas wrote: »
    Oh man, I would love in on this!

Sooooo...is that saying that you are in? Or just that you want in?

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That was you? You're totally my hero, Jonny!

Sign me up. I'm sending the email now.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm up for it, though I need a phone capable of receiving twitter updates to pull it off it sounds like... I'll hold off on signing up until I'm sure whether or not I'll actually be able to afford getting such a phone in time for PAX. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am down. Count me in.

I have no problem speaking in public and I do not fear celebrities (The trick is to to picturing them pooping.
    As twas written...everybody poops.)

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, of COURSE I'm in.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

*Sends a twitter update*

HAY EVERYONE! LETS ALL GO STAND ON OLD MAN KHOO'S LAWN!

:P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Count me in.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm up for it, though I need a phone capable of receiving twitter updates to pull it off it sounds like... I'll hold off on signing up until I'm sure whether or not I'll actually be able to afford getting such a phone in time for PAX. =)

This is my dilemma as well. As soon as I sort out the phone situation, I'll get in on this!

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Down!

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    shugarae wrote: »

This is my dilemma as well. As soon as I sort out the phone situation, I'll get in on this!

Unless you're using a walkie talkie from WW2, pretty much any phone can get SMSs and that's all the OP said was necessary. It doesn't (as I understand) have to be all up ons the intarwebs.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah twitter updates just use SMS texting. But if we need actual interwebs I'm out too :(

BrokenAngel on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    but at $.20/text (no txt package)... ew D:

edit: I guess the question would be... how many twitter updates do you think we'll get? >25?

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

edit: I guess the question would be... how many twitter updates do you think we'll get? >25?

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread, but I just now read your signature... FUCK PEGGLE INDEED! <3 We were just too awesome for that game hehe

BrokenAngel on
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm in. I sent an e-mail to the paxprank thing.

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Just pick up a text package for a month then drop it. Most companies offer 200 txts for $5.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread, but I just now read your signature... FUCK PEGGLE INDEED! <3 We were just too awesome for that game hehe

lmao good times XD

Just pick up a text package for a month then drop it. Most companies offer 200 txts for $5.

k, I'll check on that. Count me in! will send email as well...

shugarae on
  • Options
    MrBartokomousMrBartokomous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just a note if the planners haven't considered it yet: Outside of the US, VERY VERY few carriers allow for twitter SMS alerts. Of course, we seldom have to pay for incoming texts, so, in the long run it almost balances out, but it's just something to keep in mind.

MrBartokomous on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Texts=maybe...but not by much.
    Pranks=probably not, it would take too much out of general paxing

I estimate about two to three for pranks, (initial, last call, update) and no more than 5 pranks per day...if that even.

That's one of the details we're still working on.

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    AltDelete is in the pipe, five by five.

AltDelete on
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sure, why not.

MeeOk on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Just a note if the planners haven't considered it yet: Outside of the US, VERY VERY few carriers allow for twitter SMS alerts. Of course, we seldom have to pay for incoming texts, so, in the long run it almost balances out, but it's just something to keep in mind.
    Well unfortunately, Twitter is the only way we can see, currently, that will be able to get info out to many people super quickly. So, not to sound brash, but that's an SOL scenario, unless you're willing to pickup a prepaid phone in the states.

We're open to other forms of quick and easy communication to large amounts of people

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ooh! Count me in too! I'll send out an email in a bit.

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah, I didn't even realize Twitter could send SMS messages! I assumed I needed some internet-capable phone to browse to/use the twitter website/some twitter app. Apparently I'm behind the times with these new-fangled talk boxes. =)

Given that fact, I'm in too. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
This discussion has been closed.