As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Campaign ideas that never got beyond "Toying with the idea" phase

elkataselkatas Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Critical Failures
Hi,

All GMs have dozens of campaign ideas that never got beyond "toying with the idea" phase. Some of them were good, but you couldn't interested players. Some were just plain strange. Some were just outright ridiculous, borderlining sheer stupidity. Here is one (quite recent and stupid) example from my own memos:

Castlevania 70's
Year is 1973. Group of satan worshippers led by notorious occultist Herman Haarman have break into Chicago History Museum, and stolen rib bone from Romania Exhibition. Rib bone that is rumoured to belong Count Dracula. 46-years old vampire hunter Jonathan Morris goes to investigate scene, but he is captured by worshippers who plan to use his blood to resurrect Count Dracula. Now Ben Morris, Jonathan Morris's 18-years old son must rescue his father and put stop to Haarman's plans.

Some ideas that I had about this campaign
* Lots of references to the era. 1973 oil crisis, vietnam war, etc.
* Ben Morris is actually rebellious hippie who suffers LCD addiction
* His friend include all stupid stereotypes from 70's. Guy with big afro who knows kung-fu, awesome disco dude etc.
* As Romania in late 70's is totalitarian communist police state, Morris and his friends must find way cross the border undetected.
* Haarman is his cult have bribed corrupt soviet officer and his mechanized division to help them.

So what is your campaign idea that never got beyond "toying with the idea" phase?

Hypnotically inclined.
elkatas on

• BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    elkatas wrote: »
    Hi,

All GMs have dozens of campaign ideas that never got beyond "toying with the idea" phase. Some of them were good, but you couldn't interested players. Some were just plain strange. Some were just outright ridiculous, borderlining sheer stupidity. Here is one (quite recent) example from my own memos:

Castlevania 70's
    Year is 1973. Group of satan worshippers led by notorious occultist Herman Haarman have break into Chicago History Museum, and stolen rib bone from Romania Exhibition. Rib bone that is rumoured to belong Count Dracula. 46-years old vampire hunter Jonathan Morris goes to investigate scene, but he is captured by worshippers who plan to use his blood to resurrect Count Dracula. Now Ben Morris, Jonathan Morris's 18-years old son must rescue his father and put stop to Haarman's plans.

Some ideas that I had about this campaign
    * Lots of references to the era. 1973 oil crisis, vietnam war, etc.
    * Ben Morris is actually rebellious hippie who suffers LCD addiction
    * His friend include all stupid stereotypes from 70's. Guy with big afro who knows kung-fu, awesome disco dude etc.
    * As Romania in late 70's is totalitarian communist police state, Morris and his friends must find way cross the border undetected.
    * Haarman is his cult have bribed corrupt soviet officer and his mechanized division to help them.

So what is your campaign idea that never got beyond "toying with the idea" phase?

I have nothing to contribute to this thread (as none of my campaign ideas ever made it past the drawing board before my friends stopped gaming), other than to say that the above post is the coolest goddamn idea in the history of ideas.

Bitstream on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sounds like there would be a number of ways that the party could handle the officer. A mechanized division would be way too useful for the officer not to end up as an undead slave if Dracula is resurrected, and it might be possible to convince him of this.

So yeah, cool. This is the kind of thing where a lot of control over what happens could be left up to the players, instead of needing to railroad them through it.

jothki on
  • ElfWordElfWord Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Awesome idea Elkatas. Why don't we ever see you around #bombfell anymore?

ElfWord on
    Star Wars fan, Battlestar crewman, Fantastic GM. Frequent lurker, occasional adventurer.
    Awesome android RPGs are made by my friends; check them out.
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, that is an awesome idea. The superhero campaign was a good idea too.

I had an idea for a DBZ-esque campaign where all the enemies were based off of the Greek Muses.

And my idea for a fighting game Thrash campaign keeps getting restarted and then abandoned over and over throughout the years.

I tried to run a White Wolf game about the Technocracy developing powered armor for the military/police to help push the technology level higher and help weaken Vampires and Mages and the like. Of course, I don't even know if I was doing that right...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've had an idea festering in my mind for some time...

Neon Genesis Cthulhu.

Actually, thats a bit misleading. My conception has very little to do with Evangelion, beyond the post-apocalyptic setting (in this case, instead of "2nd Impact", it would probably be "2nd Awakening of the Great Old Ones") and mech design of Eva, which I really like.

Theres actually a new book coming out called "Cthulhutech" which appears frighteningly similar to my dreams, so perhaps it will spurn me forward into finally planning out a campaign.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A post apocalyptic fantasy campaign in which the world has been invaded by demons, the good gods overthrown and evil gods ruling the world in their place. The players would begin as favoured slaves and members of the household of a demon noble, who as part of his intricate schemes against other demon nobles would send them out into the world to perform certain tasks for him. For a while the party would serve his commands, reporting back to him via a crystal ball, perhaps followed by some sort of imp assigned to keep an eye on them so that they can't escape or disobey. Soon they would start to stumble across resistance movements, old temples to the good gods, and other things of great interest to anyone interested in freedom. Eventually they would learn that the good gods were not dead, merely imprisoned. They would find a way to throw off whatever curse bound them into servitude, and set about working to release the gods and free humanity.

I offered a brief description of the campaign (with fewer spoilers) as one of several options to my players, and they chose a bog-standard D&D campaign instead, so the idea went back on the shelf.

Aroused Bull on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    thorpe wrote: »

Neon Genesis Cthulhu.

Actually, thats a bit misleading. My conception has very little to do with Evangelion, beyond the post-apocalyptic setting (in this case, instead of "2nd Impact", it would probably be "2nd Awakening of the Great Old Ones") and mech design of Eva, which I really like.

Theres actually a new book coming out called "Cthulhutech" which appears frighteningly similar to my dreams, so perhaps it will spurn me forward into finally planning out a campaign.
    Can I get a link to this book?

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
    edited February 2007
    ZeroZero wrote: »

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1353#

The setting itself looks like something I would have to trim down a bit. A little less cyberpunk, a little more mecha. Still interesting, however.

382508397_796386fc13_o.jpg

The cover, which I have mixed feelings about.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Neon Genesis Cthulhu.
    ...Engel Pilots, who join in communion with gigantic arcane cyborgs, Occult Scholars, who delve into the mysteries of the universe and harness its power for themselves...

They're in your head.
    Stealin' your thoughts.

see317 on
    edited February 2007
    see317 wrote: »
    They're in your head.
    Stealin' your thoughts.

And we're both ripping Eva off.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MoridanMoridan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    A post apocalyptic fantasy campaign in which the world has been invaded by demons, the good gods overthrown and evil gods ruling the world in their place. The players would begin as favoured slaves and members of the household of a demon noble, who as part of his intricate schemes against other demon nobles would send them out into the world to perform certain tasks for him. For a while the party would serve his commands, reporting back to him via a crystal ball, perhaps followed by some sort of imp assigned to keep an eye on them so that they can't escape or disobey. Soon they would start to stumble across resistance movements, old temples to the good gods, and other things of great interest to anyone interested in freedom. Eventually they would learn that the good gods were not dead, merely imprisoned. They would find a way to throw off whatever curse bound them into servitude, and set about working to release the gods and free humanity.

I offered a brief description of the campaign (with fewer spoilers) as one of several options to my players, and they chose a bog-standard D&D campaign instead, so the idea went back on the shelf.

You simply must see Midnight.

Moridan on
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary
    opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.
    - Robert A. Heinlein
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

The setting itself looks like something I would have to trim down a bit. A little less cyberpunk, a little more mecha. Still interesting, however.

Ohhh shiiit.

That looks amazing. And, uh, I was going to to do a cyberpunk-cthulhu, too. Huh.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i dont play D&D, but if I made a campaign here's what would be up...

All the players are introduced one by one, risen by a middling necromancer that is trying to make better undead, ones that don't just get rolled by clerics or someone with a hammer. The players would initially be tasked with defending the necromancer's hideout but he'd get whacked by a mage that teleports in and blows his ass up. So the players are free to do whatever, but as undead. I'd probably set it in faerun because I am unimaginative but there you go. Maybe start them out near uh... Bane's city. I can't think of the name. Zhentarim are from there. Maybe it is Zhentar... So it wouldn't be crazy unusual for townspeople to see creepy shit (like a cloaked group of travels that click when they walk) at night

Drakmathus on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Here is another one from my scrapbook.

New Emperor
    Year was 1954. Group of japanese businessmen gathered into secret location near Tokyo, to discuss about future of Japan. They came to conclusion that Japan had lost its honor by surrendering, and only way to restore that honor would be to topple current goverment and restore "good old ways". This would mean also that there would be new emperor. After heated discussion about who would be emperor, conspiracy came to conclusion that no-one of its members could meet (impossible) physical and/or mental requirements for new emperor. But the leader would be needed, as conspiracy would otherwise lose its meaning. But what they could do?

One of conspiracy's more progressive members presented extremely radical idea. If conspiracy couldn't find perfect candidate for emperor, they would CREATE one. Result was "Project Dragon", one of world's most advanced cloning programs. By funneling insane amounts of money into project and not caring about ethical problems, conspiracy created its first human clone in 1972. After that, conspiracy started to refine their techniques adding DNA samples from imperial family, japan's greatest minds and so on. Ten years later, in year 1982, the new emperor, Ryu was born. Conspiracy hired some of the Japan's greatest minds to teach Ryu, and it was soon obvious that young boy could learn and adapt things in extremely rapid pace.

However, something went wrong, and in 2004, now 22-years old Ryu escaped from conspiracy's base, murdering three soldiers during his escape. Why he did escape? Where did he go? Is he still alive? All these questions all still unanswered even after three years after Ryu's escape. But the clock is ticking, as Kazuma Uematsu, last surviving member of original conspirators, wants to find Ryu before he dies. He can't trust reigns of conspiracy to anyone else than Ryu himself, as it is obvious that some of new generation are using conspiracy only to their own personal gain...

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A shame my friends and I never managed to get our unwieldy group together enough to pursue my Mage campaign.

Distracting them with Technocracy anti-vampire cyborgs designed to counter vampires in the wake of Ravnos's destruction, I was trying to pull their attention away from the demon they accidentally unleashed after fending off hordes of zombie children bound to undeath after a life of torture and molestation. Ultimately, they would have discovered that the demon was a mere third of a larger plan.

Future endeavors would have set them on a ship with the Sons of Ether, battling against weird creatures of the Void, just barely unable to stop some gibbering madness from beyond creation's edge from slipping into reality. In trying to hunt the thing down, they would have come across yet more troubling signs, in that a powerful Wyrm-aligned spirit was being called into the city. Maybe by a pack of Black Spirals or something else that could kill them by looking at them.

Ultimately, the Hermetic master that had been sending them out on all these quests would gather his minions, circle the wagons, and engage in a massive ritual which, due to his recently financed construction efforts, would have drawn on the entirety of the city as a ritual circle. This ritual would have merged the Master with the three supernatural manifestations of evil he had schemed and plotted to conjure forth. Rather than simply combining their power, the ritual drew on the primal energies of their essences: the demon as Evil, the mini-cthulhulhoid as Madness/Destruction, and the Wyrmy spirit as Corruption.

In essence, if the players didn't stop him (which they almost certainly wouldn't, they were just about standard starting characters), he would become a living god that was the incarnation of all that evil and nasty and bad, and he would have probably reduced the world to ash.

Yeah, I really saw that exercise in sadism as going places.

C'est la vie.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Ohhh shiiit.

That looks amazing. And, uh, I was going to to do a cyberpunk-cthulhu, too. Huh.

Good god, that is fucking awesome.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682