As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mexico: Possible failed state

• SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The United States is a net exporter of pot.

It's a mystery to me why it comes over from Mexico anyway.

Speaker on
  • EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    I heard on the radio tonight as I was driving home that the economy is actually good and still growing strongly in most South American countries.

So factor that into whatever projections you want to make about how a collapse in Mexico plays out.

I don't follow, are you implying somehow that Mexico is a South American state?

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
    edited March 2009
    Erios wrote: »
    I heard on the radio tonight as I was driving home that the economy is actually good and still growing strongly in most South American countries.

So factor that into whatever projections you want to make about how a collapse in Mexico plays out.

No.

Are you implying that Mexico has nothing to do with South America?

I assume that given a decline of order there will be refugees, economic and otherwise. If the economy is weak in the United States and growing 7% per year in Brazil, Venezuela and Peru that has a consequence for where people head.

Speaker on
  • EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

No.

I assume that given a decline of order there will be refugees, economic and otherwise. If the economy is weak in the United States and growing 7% per year in Brazil, Venezuela and Peru that has a consequence for where people head.

Oh thank god you weren't making the point I feared you were. That said, I doubt that will matter for Northern Mexicans, as long as life is better "here" than it is there. After all, crossing the entirety of Mexico is hardly safe nor practical.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Kaputa wrote: »
    NotYou wrote: »
    What do you think the chances are of mexico legalizing pot?

I know they've been discussing it, and the benefits are obvious, both economically and in hindering the drug cartels, but I'm sure the US would have some serious problems with it, and that might cause repacussions for them
    I could be wrong, but I'm not so sure legalizing weed would have that much of an effect on these cartels. I always figured cocaine and heroin were more important for their profits. But I haven't done any real research on Mexican drug cartels, so don't quote em on it.

This is true to a degree, but you have to consider that marijuana is the most widely consumed illegal drug by far. There are plenty of regular, life-long consumers of pot that would never touch the harder drugs, or even feel comfortable buying their soft drugs from someone who also sold the harder stuff.

Yes, but pot is incredibly resilient, and nobody in Mexico can afford much anyway. It's mainly a trade corridor.

That statement was true, about 10 or so years ago. Not anymore, the current trend in drug use has made of Mexico a consumer market.

Years ago, before the popularity of synthetic drugs in the US, Mexican Drug cartels got money from the Colombian ones, which were the ones that planted marijuana and paid the mexican drug cartels to transport it to the US for selling.

But with the increase of the US Border Security plus the increase of synthetic drug usage in the US, which made possible to sell drugs in the US without having to transport it (Which you can just cook it inside the US), produced a decrease in the Colombian Cartel profits, as a result, they couldn't continue paying in currency to the Mexican Cartels, and started paying in currency and with a percentage of the drug transported to the Mexican Cartels.

So there are all this cartels, piling drug, and not getting any profit, so they do the only logical thing, start building a local consumer market, in order to get a profit from it.

And trust me, mexicans can afford marijuana, just like we can afford McDonald's Burgers and Starbucks' Coffee, they just sell it cheaper here, compared to the US.
    What do you think the chances are of mexico legalizing pot?

I know they've been discussing it, and the benefits are obvious, both economically and in hindering the drug cartels, but I'm sure the US would have some serious problems with it, and that might cause repacussions for them

Interesting point: Several Political Parties are pushing the agenda to legalize it.

Also, contrary to the US, smoking marijuana isn't a punished offense in México. Only Growing, Selling, Buying and transporting a large amount of it... Which doesn't really make sense, but hey, at least it's a start.

I would like to argue that things aren't THAT BAD here but I don't know if I have the stamina for a debate in the scale of the ones that usually happen in this forum, so instead treat me as your Mexican advisor, if you have any Mexican Government / Legal question, feel free to ask.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
    edited March 2009

No.

Oh thank god you weren't making the point I feared you were. That said, I doubt that will matter for Northern Mexicans, as long as life is better "here" than it is there. After all, crossing the entirety of Mexico is hardly safe nor practical.

I had thought the premise of the thread was that the disorder in northern Mexico would destabilize the rest of the country or bring on a military coup.

I mean, southern Mexico isn't that great either from what I understand.

Speaker on
    edited March 2009

No.

I had thought the premise of the thread was that the disorder in northern Mexico would destabilize the rest of the country or bring on a military coup.

I mean, southern Mexico isn't that great either from what I understand.

A popular revolution is more probable than a military coup, even if there is a scale of violence here in northern Mexico, the socialeconomic level average is better to the north than to the south.

The guerrilla forces in the South are scarier than the Drugdealers "Soldiers" to the north, in my opinion.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    edited March 2009
    It seems like the anti-government forces in the North and the South have something to gain from cooperation.

Speaker on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This whole situation is really sad.

People look for alot of answers to it, and as far as I can tell there is only really one true answer. People stop using drugs.

Its all supply and demand. If the drug cartels have NO demand, then they have no reason to be going about their work as such. Unfortunately humans are apathetic enough that as long as they dont see the people being hurt indirectly by their actions, then they have no motivation to stop.

Seriously, dont do drugs, its pretty simple. Too bad people just don't care.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

People look for alot of answers to it, and as far as I can tell there is only really one true answer. People stop using drugs.

Its all supply and demand. If the drug cartels have NO demand, then they have no reason to be going about their work as such. Unfortunately humans are apathetic enough that as long as they dont see the people being hurt indirectly by their actions, then they have no motivation to stop.

That is 'one' answer, but it's hardly the answer.

Doing drugs, while (for many drugs) self destructive, is hardly "evil". Especially not when you're comparing it with the atrocities the cartels are committing. They and their actions are the problem here. The government's inability to stop them is a problem. The enviornment these people grew up in that has turned them into murderers is a problem.

Blaming the actual users of the drugs?? Seems like they're the least important part of this mess.

NotYou on
    edited March 2009

Doing drugs, while (for many drugs) self destructive, is hardly "evil". Especially not when you're comparing it with the atrocities the cartels are committing. They and their actions are the problem here. The government's inability to stop them is a problem. The enviornment these people grew up in that has turned them into murderers is a problem.

Blaming the actual users of the drugs?? Seems like they're the least important part of this mess.

Well theres a reason drugs are illegal in the first place, and just, really, what good do you see cocain doing? Yea I guess there was some good Nirvana songs..but honestly. I've dealt with people addicted to these types of drugs. I've tried to help them. It does nothing good and I'm certainly not saying the drug users are as BAD as the cartels, but they are the ones giving them buiseness. If there was no push for drugs, this problem wouldn't exist as it is.

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

I would not say it's so simplistic as apathy or motivation to quit. These things have such a ridiculous demand because they are so incredibly addictive. Even if we were to somehow regulate society so that drug use was no longer a favored recreational activity, the amount of people already addicted and the amount of people who would catch on to it just due to proximity to addicts would make a sustainable economy.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Well theres a reason drugs are illegal in the first place, and just, really, what good do you see cocain doing? Yea I guess there was some good Nirvana songs..but honestly. I've dealt with people addicted to these types of drugs. I've tried to help them. It does nothing good and I'm certainly not saying the drug users are as BAD as the cartels, but they are the ones giving them buiseness. If there was no push for drugs, this problem wouldn't exist as it is.

People don't use cocaine while thinking "I'm going to snort cocaine because I support the drug cartels and I want to keep them in business!"
    People don't start using cocaine because of that either.
    But go ahead, keep demonizing addicts.

Picardathon on
    edited March 2009
    It seems like the anti-government forces in the North and the South have something to gain from cooperation.

Hm, the problem is, the current "drug war" was flawed since the beginning. It's common knowledge that PRI (Political party) had no-agression pacts with the most important drug cartels, as long as they would leave the Institutions alone. And they did.

It was PAN (Political party that broke PRI's streak of about 70 years in power) that broke those pacts and then everything when down the shitter. The problem isn't with the war itself, the problem is that the war is against just certain cartels, not against all, which has made the impression that the mexican government just wants to eliminate their cartel's competition.

Drugdealing is a very important industry and way of life here in México, there are towns that have grown and become important thanks to drugdealing. We have a Saint dedicated to Drugdealing. We have songs dedicated to drugdealing, no, not like rap, like dedicated to real drugdealers and telling stories about it "Narco Corridos". They love bling, women, expensive clothes and cars... They are capitalists dealing with an illegal merchandise.

The Mexican Guerrillas are social communists, they still hold Zapata's and the Flores Magon Brother's Social Anarchism ideas of government, education, anti-globalization and social justice.

They work together for the money to fund their movements (Guerrillas help the drugs cross the border, they get a cut from the profits or equipment), but they have totally different plans and priorities, I couldn't see them working to establishing a new government.

Joe Camacho MKII on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You're pushing a valid point too far Element. What 'good' does alcohol do?

The scale of violence is more to do with mexican economic problems (vast numbers of young, poor, and uneducated men out of work is a universal equation that results in this kind of thing) than the demand for drugs.

Edit: joe says it better.

Also unchecked escalation has led to the amount of violence you see today.

Prohass on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Prohass wrote: »
    You're pushing a valid point too far Element. What 'good' does alcohol do?

The scale of violence is more to do with mexican economic problems (vast numbers of young, poor, and uneducated men out of work is a universal equation that results in this kind of thing) than the demand for drugs.

Also, Ciudad Juarez is home to a number of factories that were outsourced from the US, so there are many poor migrant workers living on subsistance wages living in slums.
    If I had known the situation beforehand I would have bet that shit breaks down.

Picardathon on
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    The United States is a net exporter of pot.

It's a mystery to me why it comes over from Mexico anyway.

Just curious, do you have a cite for this?

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
    edited March 2009

People don't use cocaine while thinking "I'm going to snort cocaine because I support the drug cartels and I want to keep them in business!"

Thats exactly what the problem is, they don't have that in mind when they are using drugs.

I'm not saying this solution is easy, or even that plausible. But in my little fairy tale mind, its really the one answer that is in the power of the people. People want to find a solution to the problem, they're just looking in the wrong place. Earlier there was a thread about some vigilantes who would execute 1 cartel member every x amount of days or whatever.

Whether it would actually happen is debatable, but there is no debating that if people actually used their will power to stop using drugs that it would work. It would stop the demand of these drugs and put the cartels out of buisness.

Element Brian on

Arch,
    edited March 2009

Thats exactly what the problem is, they don't have that in mind when they are using drugs.

I'm not saying this solution is easy, or even that plausible. But in my little fairy tale mind, its really the one answer that is in the power of the people. People want to find a solution to the problem, they're just looking in the wrong place. Earlier there was a thread about some vigilantes who would execute 1 cartel member every x amount of days or whatever.

Whether it would actually happen is debatable, but there is no debating that if people actually used their will power to stop using drugs that it would work. It would stop the demand of these drugs and put the cartels out of buisness.

The problem with this logic is if people used their willpower and stopped shooting each other and everyone got along and there was no exploitation or ambition the situation would be fine also. But thats not going to happen.

Prohass on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

Actually, they were outlawed because teetotalers floated rumors of drugs making black people go nuts and rape white women.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited March 2009
    About Drug Use.-

As I have already stated, consuming illegal drugs isn't a crime in México, just every other activity related to it is, heh. Growing, Buying, Selling, Giving Away and Transporting more amount that the one believed to be used for persona use is a Federal Crime.

There was a very interesting law iniciative presented last year, from PSD (Socialdemocratic Party) which tried to transform this issue from a Public Security type to a Public Health type. Legalizing soft drugs, like shrooms, marijuana and others (Not Cocaine, pills and the like), but not allowing drugs being sold, instead, they would let people grow one (maybe two, I don't recall) marijuana plants in order for people to consume their own stock.

I liked that plan, sounded too logical, but hey, I forgot to tell you which is the WORST problem with México.

The Catholic Church Hierarchy.

They said that drugs are the devil so the iniciative went to the trash.

But that doesn't stop the Catholic Hierarchy from receiving money from drug cartels to build churches and other projects. HELL, they even stated once that they "PURIFIED" the money that came from Drugdealing... Now that's what I call "Holy Money Laundering"

Joe Camacho MKII on
    edited March 2009
    haha man that wacky Catholic church, what will it do next?

Prohass on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Explode, hopefully.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It would stop the demand of these drugs and put the cartels out of buisness.

Or the government could make drugs not illegal. That would work just as well.

zerg rush on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Since when lives are consider valuable? According to the overpopulation thread the best thing that could happen is a worldwide plague that kills 90% of the population.
    According to who besides the sociopath that is Detharin?

We have a surplus on people, and the market of us plummeted after the Civil war. Sure some human trade is still thriving but largely it is a niche market. The bottom fell out on the human market a long time ago, people need to stop propping us up. Hell it is one of the reasons we are in this current financial crisis.

Anyway Mexico is swiftly circling the drain, and frankly we are not going to do anything about it for quite some time because any viable solution is unpopular with enough people. We can't deport everyone who shouldn't be here, build a wall, set up sentry guns, and assign some pyros to spycheck to prevent them from getting sapped. We cannot send in troops to stabilize the government, we are cutting military spending and getting out of Iraq.

Frankly we are liking going to see the government take a delay anything until after the next election policy and the border states continue to suffer for it.

Or we could just legalize cocaine and heroine.

Detharin on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This whole thread sounds like the subtext of the plot of Rainbow Six : Vegas.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It should be noted that the last time we sent troops into Mexico to "stabilize" their government we sort of took half their country. Doesn't get a lot of play here, since that was pretty much right before the Civil War which for some reason requires like four weeks in middle school history, but the Mexicans sure as shit haven't forgotten. I doubt they'd be thrilled if we were like "I hear you have a crime problem. We will totally fix that for you with guns and tanks and helicopters and people who don't speak the language."

Salvation122 on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If a bordering country can not control their population and violence is spilling over the border and into other nations, then it is only right that the nations that is on the drafty end of the shit fan should go in there and clean it up.

Casually Hardcore on
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    It should be noted that the last time we sent troops into Mexico to "stabilize" their government we sort of took half their country. Doesn't get a lot of play here, since that was pretty much right before the Civil War which for some reason requires like four weeks in middle school history, but the Mexicans sure as shit haven't forgotten. I doubt they'd be thrilled if we were like "I hear you have a crime problem. We will totally fix that for you with guns and tanks and helicopters and people who don't speak the language."

Uh, we have more than enough people who speak their language. Their language isn't some bizarro arabic speak from half a world away. I think we could come to some kind of compromise with the Mexican Government.

Obs on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Detharin wrote: »
    Since when lives are consider valuable? According to the overpopulation thread the best thing that could happen is a worldwide plague that kills 90% of the population.

We have a surplus on people, and the market of us plummeted after the Civil war. Sure some human trade is still thriving but largely it is a niche market. The bottom fell out on the human market a long time ago, people need to stop propping us up. Hell it is one of the reasons we are in this current financial crisis.
    God damn you're insane.

Quid on
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

God damn you're insane.

We can't continue to sustain this world's population growth with the resources we have.

Obs on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

God damn you're insane.
    Actually, I think that post was a joke. You're still right, of course.

Bama on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I sold off all my stocks in human beings last year. You guys are late to the party.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Obs wrote: »

God damn you're insane.

We can't continue to sustain this world's population growth with the resources we have.
    That doesn't lower the value of a human life.

Fencingsax on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

God damn you're insane.

That doesn't lower the value of a human life.

For Americans maybe

nexuscrawler on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Let's start from you then, shall we? I bet you spend enough resources to provide for like 25 poor Africans.

DarkCrawler on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

God damn you're insane.

As usual, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Actually, I think that post was a joke. You're still right, of course.
    No he's quite serious. He doesn't value human life and thinks active steps should be taken to reduce the population.

Quid on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know, Ebeneezer Scrooge was not supposed to be a role model.

Fencingsax on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    This whole thread sounds like the subtext of the plot of Rainbow Six : Vegas.

It does make GRAW 1&2 seem a lot less far-fetched, eh?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.