As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In Defence + Total Fucking Blood Posters!¡!¡ NSF56K

NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hey there!

I'm working on a project dealing with work/home. The idea is set in a space where both work and home occupy. It is important that the two environments coexist comfortably if one is to commit to both. There is a lack of discernible identity when an individual distributes his or her self exclusively to one or the other.

VisualChicagoAcid1.jpg

VisualChicagoAcid2.jpg

VisualChicagoAcid3.jpg

This is a pretty interesting piece for me because I'm using transparency and a somewhat crafted light box that uses light which the viewer chooses for it. The first and second image is the back view of the object. There are two panes of glass that have some space between them. The front has a sheet of vellum I adhered to it, pieces of vellum for some of the objects, pencil, pen, charcoal and paper. The back just has some vellum pieces on it. I forgot to take a picture of how the frame looks from the front. Next update.

I had to perform some surgery on two identical fixed picture frames so I could use one on the front side and the glass from both in the project. They magically fix well with the wooden frame I acquired. Some epoxy and this amazing two part clay later, I basically have what I have now. There were these ornaments I had drilled holes for and placed on the wooden frame that looked ugly so now I have some holes. I wanted it to have some sense of needing to be held by the viewer to direct it to a light source. I'm going to look for some copper/bronze plate of some sort to wrap around those parts of the frame.

The last picture is what it can look like, so far, with a light source behind it, in this case a lamp behind it and some natural light. Some interesting shifting occurs when tilting it due to the distance between the panes of glass and the strength/distance of the light source. Sunlight is really good. Sometimes it makes some other colors appear.

I'll keep this updated.

Moar stough:

"Borderlines" - The cycle of life with actions and subsequent reactions and opportunity.

Tracy.jpg

Self-portrait with a mosaic concept. This was printed on a skateboard. I don't have access to the board right now, so pictures later. You can buy it if you want to.

BUY HERE!

CloudGenerator.jpg
Large

About my third time painting with some non-solvent based oil paint. It's a rock, it's sliding off the table.

Stuck.jpg

Coooool handprintttttt:

ExperimentNumberSix.jpg

TheMotorbikeTrack.jpg

Ladle.jpg

More to come!

NeoRedXIII on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is fucking cool stuff Neo.

I am particularly fond of this.
    Tracy.jpg

Mustang on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Your rock is very nice. :D

Shiboe on
  • Options
    falconirefalconire Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That drawing with the skateboarder is amazing. I'll even say inspiring to some degree.

falconire on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for the warm words.

I'm working on a comic project titled, The Gingerbread Thrasher, with two other people. They will be adding texture and color to it. So far this is the first five pages just lines.

Page01.jpgPage02.jpg
    Page03.jpgPage04.jpg
    Page05.jpg

I have to fix the giraffe's neck placement a bit on the fourth page. There's also a gap for printing reasons. Full bleed!

I'll get the photo of that skateboard for you Orik, and more. Keep you updated!

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That last image is extreme to the max, and I approve.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yay for epic cat ollies!

Here's the portrait print on a skateboard. Feel free to order yourself one if you'd like. I'll prolly take down my shop at the end of the month or next month.

Buy it here!

ApocalypseChaser.jpg

This board had a progressive process with oil pastels, clear coated, and finally oil paint markers.

BlackCloud.jpg

Another non-solvent based oil painting. Some Shoooooeess.

BlazeTheLord.jpg

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When you say...non-solvent based oils..do you mean water based oils? Why would you use those?

rts on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Probably because they're easier to work with? I know I find it pretty helpful not to have to make sure every window in the house is open, and have a specific place to dump my paint thinner so the vapors won't catch fire when I make dinner.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah but the paint itself blows balls.

Oil based and water based oils are not equal.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've never had any problems with it, personally. You can get good effects with any medium - some of the best paintings I've seen have been acrylic on illustration board.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    cakemikz wrote: »
    When you say...non-solvent based oils..do you mean water based oils? Why would you use those?

Maybe I'm not using the right words, but I'm just trying to say that the oil paint was thinned only with a drying oil (in this case, walnut oil) as opposed to more hazardous solvents like turpentine.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ah, well you don't need to add any clarification in that case I think. That is just oils. I would suggest you still clean your brushes in turp though (gamsol). Or get some Dr. Bronners.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    05702-group-2-3ww-l.jpg

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Those boards are cool and I would totally buy if my wallet wasn't in a recession.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    PhthanoPhthano Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Visual Chicago Acid reminds me of the holosuits in A Scanner Darkly. This is never a bad thing.

I like all of the more surreal stuff because you actually draw humans in it. I feel that a lot of the time people resort to abstract and surrealism when they just can't draw humanoids. You shatter this.

I really like the whole clockwork/mechanical feel to the man's head in Tracy.

Phthano on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I had to wrap up The Gingerbread Thrasher comic. I would have liked to put more time into it, but unfortunately I must move on. Check it out!

v--- Click! ---v
    FrontCoverSmall.tif

I'm having some problems with my webspace and their address' so let me know if anything is not displaying.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I've put together a simple website that mainly compiles a Blogger blog and Carbonmade gallery. Easy and affordable! I'll try and make a more complex personal website in the future as I learn my tools.

CvMvYBlog.jpg

Some prints I made based on personifying colors. In this case we have dueling Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow. I'd like to screen print this or similar work on personifying colors in different situations. :D

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    NeoRedXIII wrote: »
    I've put together a simple website that mainly compiles a Blogger blog and Carbonmade gallery. Easy and affordable! I'll try and make a more complex personal website in the future as I learn my tools.

CvMvYBlog.jpg

Some prints I made based on personifying colors. In this case we have dueling Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow. I'd like to screen print this or similar work on personifying colors in different situations. :D

I would strongly recommend not going with the inlaid scroll frame, doubly so when you have an exterior scroll. It's just annoying IMO. Also, that's some jacket you got there. ;D

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I have tried to imbed the the blog into the main page for quite some time. I got pretty close to solving the problem with my limited skills and searching around the net. However, Firefox was still being an asshole. You have any idea on how I can load my external blog into the frame and have it expand to the height of that document?

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I have tried to imbed the the blog into the main page for quite some time. I got pretty close to solving the problem with my limited skills and searching around the net. However, Firefox was still being an asshole. You have any idea on how I can load my external blog into the frame and have it expand to the height of that document?

It shouldn't be difficult as long as you have pretty full access to the code. It's far too late for me to think though, and I can't remember this stuff off the top of my head. =/

What's the process like though? What's generating the code if anything?

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Shiboe wrote: »

It shouldn't be difficult as long as you have pretty full access to the code. It's far too late for me to think though, and I can't remember this stuff off the top of my head. =/

What's the process like though? What's generating the code if anything?

I should probably just evacuate Blogger and host my own Wordpress and do it that way.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm very busy with schoolwork. A lot of things I think I could show, but not enough in a digital format to post.

Here's a poster for an upcoming show a couple of friends put together to be held at our university's own planetarium. Should be hellah fun with some space rock and a star show.

SpaceJamOld.jpg

I'm going to have to see if I have the time and money to get this properly screen printed. Some sexy metallic silver ink for the gray on black paper. :winky:

You can also have fun with some optical desktop backgrounds 1440x900 I decided to make.

Moire pattern.

I accidently made this optical illusion that if stared into the center for a bit all of the pattern turns blue. I believe this is probably from retina fatigue.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do all blogger.com profiles have astrological information on them?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think by default.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    neo. may i ask where you get your decks from? where would i be able to purchase a blank deck?

ps. your art is awesome.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ebay "(5 or 10) blank decks" I forgot who I've bought from first, but I've got stuff from WSTWO and haven't been disappointed. Cheaper to buy a bundle. You could even find uncut decks if you wanted to put the work into cutting your own shapes. Do it!

Thanks!

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm very busy with schoolwork. A lot of things I think I could show, but not enough in a digital format to post.

Here's a poster for an upcoming show a couple of friends put together to be held at our university's own planetarium. Should be hellah fun with some space rock and a star show.

SpaceJam.jpg

I'm going to have to see if I have the time and money to get this properly screen printed. Some sexy metallic silver ink for the gray on black paper. :winky:

You can also have fun with some optical desktop backgrounds 1440x900 I decided to make.

Moire pattern.

I accidently made this optical illusion that if stared into the center for a bit all of the pattern turns blue. I believe this is probably from retina fatigue.

Neo! Have I told you that I love your style? I do! This one is no different, I love it... in fact, I'd take it on a date and try to kiss it at the end. But, much like a date, it has things that go better.

My biggest issue is the text placement. It's down there at the bottom of the suit. But I hardly noticed it the first time because all the focus goes to the monkey's face because of the tunnel he's in. That tunnel forms lines that point to his face, putting my attention right on the monkey.

If I could suggest, maybe you could put the text riding on some of the panels. I dunno if you understand. I'll try to illustrate:

neo.jpg

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I know exactly what you're talking about and did a few tests with it. I chose to try and hide it so it didn't compete with the imagery as much. I was interested in 'pop culture' imagery and attempting to disguise it as some kind of representable piece when in light of its consumable nature as a gig poster it can lead to the destruction of decoding something from it. When it's obviously a gig poster it just becomes a cue for us to make rather quick assumptions about the show.

From the homicidal humanity as the antagonist to consumable imagery of space monkeys to draw specific audiences to a show.

(I might need to edit this statement, rushed in the middle of class)

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BTW, did you write that text by hand? It looks awesome!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    BTW, did you write that text by hand? It looks awesome!

Yup. I have little practice with lettering by hand, so it definitely took quite some time to get it to look halfway decent. Also, some use of skewing was made in Photoshop.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I've been studying pop art at the moment. It influenced a lot of my choices and subject matter. That, and the whole planetarium space show. Content derived from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I REALLY like it Neo. You have enough of the rough detail going on where it looks "filled" but it doesn't look too busy. I think you nailed the style pretty flawlessly, something I've tried to do here and there and only come up with half an ass. Also, I think the lettering is great down there, it took me a bit before I noticed it, but it was like a candy surprise after a nice meal. I can't think of anything I would want to change. Are you printing these on little 5x7 type flyer cards? Is it going to be really shiny? Will you show us pics of said shininess?

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Eleven by Seventeeeeeen I hope I can get some help from a screen printer and then have some to sell.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    [IMG][/img]

I know this is ancient...but this is the best brush soap EVAR. I use it whenever I work in oils.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For some reason I was expecting this when I opened the thread

Space-Jam--C10053900.jpeg

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So was I D:

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I had to fix the perspective that was WAY off. Added some background. Moved some letters. Now it'll be 19x7.5

SpaceJam.jpg

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Haven't posted work in a while, but I've been doing some artwork when I get the time. A lot of detail and process shots of each poster and my studio area is on my flickr. Each poster is designated by the sets on the right side. The 2009: A Beer Odyssey set is the first and probably the most documented print. You will find in each of the photos that they have descriptions.

Starting with the most recent poster:

HighNukem.jpg

This is where I work and print now (click for flickr set):
    4174707497_8b5ccdb48a_m.jpg4175469624_9cc4a0169b_m.jpg4174722559_8498364ec4_m.jpg

Glensheen.jpg

Print and some transparencies for each color used in the print (click for flickr set):
    3966258351_f8a9938da3_m.jpg3966254215_a27d497880_m.jpg

WeekendMikeys.jpg

Paste-up of the b/w artwork, testing colors, and detail (click for flickr set):
    3843119807_4951fcf3e6_m.jpg3843911888_770ce5f4d2_m.jpg3843932602_40bbd18b4e_m.jpg

BeerOdyssey.jpg

The screen that makes the print that tells you where 2009 beers are to be had (click for flickr set):
    3672734922_565b54f9be_m.jpg3753660726_0d345836f3_m.jpg3672738110_e02844cb20_m.jpg

I'll try to document and write a more in-depth process for particular aspects of printing for those who'd like to get an even better look at some of the things it takes to screen print in your own home. Maybe some for the tutorial thread!

Also did some album artwork that should be available in print sometime soon:

LordGreenFrontColor.jpg

LordGreenBackColor.jpg

Prints are available in my Etsy link in my sig.

Be back later!

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I would kiss you if you wrote that tutorial.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    GigPosters has some really good references if you search for it in their forums.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh yeah, Weekend at Mikey's was my favorite movie!

Godfather on