As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ludicrous Speed Beavo[chat]

• BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yes, let me know what you find out (even though it will most likely be too pricey for comfort).

Betelgeuse on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Florence is very pretty.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    :o florence! definitely go if you can, beav, italy is extremely beautiful. coke is really expensive though for some reason.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hahah i have been and i, much like everyone else, fell right in love with it
    it's right next door to the old home country too, so i'll probably swing by and visit the fam.

beavotron on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i've never been to europe before. one of these days i will have to go.

PROX on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    beav do you still oc?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    orik: not lately cause i've been using a pc

so more info on the italy thing:
    there is one academy that offers a year long intensive drawing program which costs a little over 13k USD
    that's about the same as it'd cost for me to go to university here and would probably benefit me waaaay more
    so i'm thinking of applying to that
    still haven't heard anything about the cost of the month program

will keep you guys posted.

here's the year long program one:
    http://www.florenceacademyofart.com/
    it's actually 3 years. first is drawing, second is painting, third is...crazier painting haha
    but you get a certificate after all three years and can choose how far you want to go based on what you want to do with it all.

beavotron on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    here's the year long program one:
    http://www.florenceacademyofart.com/
    it's actually 3 years. first is drawing, second is painting, third is...crazier painting haha
    but you get a certificate after all three years and can choose how far you want to go based on what you want to do with it all.

Oh! I'm almost positive one of my professors took a course there...the summer course for "Figure Drawing, the Academic Method". He said it was absolutely fantastic, and everybody there was incredibly talented (and I thought he was a really excellent professor, really talented too. I'd trust his judgment! :))

NightDragon on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Once I become rich making games, I might go to school so I can teach science to kids.

NotASenator on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    PS: this summer i might be getting a job at iD Tech Camps in the bay area teaching snot nosed kids how to use photoshop and "make" video games, which includes teaching them the Spore Creature Creator engine...

Whatever though.

Should be cool.

I've already had an interview and she sounded like she liked me so lets hope i get it!

DeeLock on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Once I become rich making games, I might go to school so I can teach science to kids.

If you're doing it right, they'll be too wrapped up in your games to learn anything.

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2009

If you're doing it right, they'll be too wrapped up in your games to learn anything.

Actually, the main purpose of me going into games is to build entertainment software that is also educational.

It makes me wonder how you can set a game like Assassin's Creed in so rich a time period for history, and not actually teach anyone anything about the time period.

NotASenator on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    My paints arrived!!

I've got more than I thought I had (though a cerulean blue gouache is leaking...)

In oils:

Yellow Ochre
    Quinacridone Red
    Cadmium Red Medium
    French Ultramarine
    Titanium White
    Zinc White
    Burnt Sienna
    and I must have been rich when I bought it, because I've also got a tube of Cobalt Blue (a 1.25 oz tube cost $17)

It's like Christmas, only better, because I didn't get any presents for Christmas. That's nearly everything I need to do my PA contest project...I just need to pick up some cadmium yellow at some point

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    My pants arrived!!

What I read.

The rest of the post disappointed me.

Six on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm sorry, you still have to deal with me pantsless

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009

Actually, the main purpose of me going into games is to build entertainment software that is also educational.

It makes me wonder how you can set a game like Assassin's Creed in so rich a time period for history, and not actually teach anyone anything about the time period.

It'd be awesome if it wasn't the ham-fisted, boring shit that most educational games are.

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2009
    abloo abloo, please don't even reply to this, let alone read it, I just needed to post it on the internet
    I feel like nobody is going to hire me as a Concept Artist, or even an intern for anything, ever, because I don't know that many software packages, my GPA won't be a goddamn 4.0, I don't have that much portfolio work to actually show, etc etc etc I'm not as good as some of the people I've seen who know a billion software packages, have a perfect GPA and like 3 internships under their belt and 10 different achievements

I should have never gotten into the fucking Illustration department, it's so completely pointless, I've learned absolutely nothing and I'm paying out of the goddamn ASS

The only time I've ever learned something is when I've taken electives in studio courses or in another department

This is such bullshit and oh god oh god I suck so bad why can't I know everything and have a huge solid portfolio full of amazing work and get an A in every single class and CARE OH SO MUCH about all these bullshit assignments and the Illustration professors that keep thinking everybody wants to go into the "standard illustrator" thing and do editorials and book illustrations and everything...and I've gotten multiple people in my classes telling me my fucking critiques are too harsh for them so I just end up shutting my goddamn mouth and then the professor complains that I'm not participating enough recently so now all I can do is give one-sentence praises or critiques for people where it doesn't help them in the slightest, especially when some professors are all like "yeah! I like this! I think this is working!" and I have to keep quiet the entire time because I entirely disagree but oooh noooo I can't disagree with the professor because that would make me look egotistical

and I can't get it out of my head that if I don't get an internship I completely fail at life

and my roommates are the most fucking idiotic, unsanitary, whiney bitches in the world

I just need somebody to pay for me to live by myself for a year, with a dog, so I can learn all these different programs, work on my portfolio without paying for some class in which I learn nothing, and then be the very bestest person for the job! And not talk to my father the entire time! And not have nagging insecurities about my life in the back of my head! And not worry about money! Or loans! Or my health! And not have total freak-out moments like this where I feel like I've spent the past 22 years slacking because I'm not as good as / don't know as much software as / don't have a huge of a portfolio as / don't know as much as THIS OTHER GUY!

/AAAAAAAUGH

NightDragon on
    edited March 2009
    I just realized why I hate H/A.

It's threads like this one that make me hate H/A

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2009
    abloo abloo, please don't even reply to this, let alone read it, I just needed to post it on the internet
    I feel like nobody is going to hire me as a Concept Artist, or even an intern for anything, ever, because I don't know that many software packages, my GPA won't be a goddamn 4.0, I don't have that much portfolio work to actually show, etc etc etc I'm not as good as some of the people I've seen who know a billion software packages, have a perfect GPA and like 3 internships under their belt and 10 different achievements

I should have never gotten into the fucking Illustration department, it's so completely pointless, I've learned absolutely nothing and I'm paying out of the goddamn ASS

The only time I've ever learned something is when I've taken electives in studio courses or in another department

This is such bullshit and oh god oh god I suck so bad why can't I know everything and have a huge solid portfolio full of amazing work and get an A in every single class and CARE OH SO MUCH about all these bullshit assignments and the Illustration professors that keep thinking everybody wants to go into the "standard illustrator" thing and do editorials and book illustrations and everything...and I've gotten multiple people in my classes telling me my fucking critiques are too harsh for them so I just end up shutting my goddamn mouth and then the professor complains that I'm not participating enough recently so now all I can do is give one-sentence praises or critiques for people where it doesn't help them in the slightest, especially when some professors are all like "yeah! I like this! I think this is working!" and I have to keep quiet the entire time because I entirely disagree but oooh noooo I can't disagree with the professor because that would make me look egotistical

and I can't get it out of my head that if I don't get an internship I completely fail at life

and my roommates are the most fucking idiotic, unsanitary, whiney bitches in the world

I just need somebody to pay for me to live by myself for a year, with a dog, so I can learn all these different programs, work on my portfolio without paying for some class in which I learn nothing, and then be the very bestest person for the job! And not talk to my father the entire time! And not have nagging insecurities about my life in the back of my head! And not worry about money! Or loans! Or my health! And not have total freak-out moments like this where I feel like I've spent the past 22 years slacking because I'm not as good as / don't know as much software as / don't have a huge of a portfolio as / don't know as much as THIS OTHER GUY!

/AAAAAAAUGH

To quote futurama: So what? We all feel like that, all the time!

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2009

haha, I just read that thread.

NightDragon on
    edited March 2009

/AAAAAAAUGH

Become a carpenter. It's very fulfilling work.

Six on
    edited March 2009

haha, I just read that thread.

It's just infuriating because the dude sounds more pissed off that the courts took his best drinking buddy away than anything else.

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2009
    Six wrote: »

/AAAAAAAUGH

Why? So she can have the same fucking doubts about her abilities with even more debt, time wasted in trianing, and a brand new career path to hate?

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2009
    wow, no offense, but I kind of wish I had taken your advice, ND.

NotASenator on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Carpentry worked for Harrison Ford.

NibCrom on
    edited March 2009

/AAAAAAAUGH

Why? So she can have the same fucking doubts about her abilities with even more debt, time wasted in trianing, and a brand new career path to hate?

Yes.

Six on
    edited March 2009

/AAAAAAAUGH

Yes.

Your mom's a carpenter.
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Carpentry worked for Harrison Ford.

Yeah well Jesus was a carpenter and look where he ended up.

Metalbourne on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In Heaven at God's right hand.

NibCrom on
    edited March 2009

/AAAAAAAUGH

Yes.

Your mom's a carpenter.

I know that already.

Is it nap time? I need a nap for real.

Six on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »
    In Heaven at God's right hand.
    Haha...heaven.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

/AAAAAAAUGH

Yes.

I'm kinda in the opposite boat, wanting to be in art school but doing comp sci. I have a friend though that gave me some good advice going through his art degree; that most of the time it's not really worth it, so get a degree in something worthwhile. What I can say from experience is, if you're not happy with your path, change it early, even if it's just a different aspect of art. Choose classes that will benefit you though, because the knowledge you gain is far more helpful than the name of the class or degree at the end. And the longer you wait the harder it is to switch something.

That said ND, everything I've seen from you is amazing, and I have a feeling you'll do just fine, especially since you seem to be very dedicated to improving and producing. Don't get discouraged, just stay focused on what you need to be successful.

As far as critiquing, as far as bad students go, don't sweat it, give them whatever will get you by the easiest, most of them are gonna give up at some point anyways because they don't have what it takes. Those that do have skill, focus on them, give them the good honest critiques and try and form contacts. Networking is huge for being successful. My friend make very nice with all the good professors and students at his school and it is paying dividends.

Hope that helps, if it doesn't, just ignore me. ;D

Shiboe on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

It'd be awesome if it wasn't the ham-fisted, boring shit that most educational games are.

Like Mario's Time Machine?

I agree about the educational aspect of it. The problem with video games over the last 10-15 years has been the escalation of cost into development and marketing. I forget the technical term for it, but it's part of the basis behind Alan Moore's problem with film. The basic premise is that the more money that goes into something, the more it's probably going to suck. When some jackass company has put X-hundred million dollars into the development of something, it has to appeal to the widest audience possible to reduce risk. Therefore, it has to conform to the standards of success set by its predecessors.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mario Teaches Typing was pretty awesome.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I also enjoyed the shit out of Super Munchers.

Heeell yes.

I'm a time traveler!!!!

Prospicience on
    edited March 2009
    Typing of the dead was better. I also enjoyed the shit out of Super Munchers.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Night Dragon, after being familiar with you for quite some time, and reading posts you've made for the past several years, I have come to a conclusion.

And that conclusion is this: You need to loosen up and lighten up about basically everything. Seriously.

Betelgeuse on
    edited March 2009
    Shiboe wrote: »
    abloo abloo
    stuff

Thanks...and yeah, because I'm nearing the end of my junior year, it's beyond the point where I can change everything. My first year in state university, I figured "well, it'll get better in art school"...I get to SCAD and I think, "okay, it'll get harder in the upper classes"...and by now I think I realize that I'm just going to have to push through the rest of my coursework here, and just try to find loopholes in the system as much as I possibly can. I'm just sick of professors telling me that "well, you don't KNOW if you're not going to learn anything in this class or not, I think you should take it", or "well you don't KNOW if you're going to need to know this in the future or not", etc variations.

"No trust me I really don't think I'm going to learn anything in the Lets Draw Circles Today class"

I think I'll be okay with things if they let me take another 3D modeling course to replace one of my illustration electives, but chances are that'll be pushing it, waaaay too hard

unless I plead

NightDragon on
    edited March 2009
    I'm stoked because my advisor approved a substitution of printmaking instead of a second semester of ceramics for me.

Our school is kind of known for its 3D program, which is a bummer because it requires a large amount of 3D classes for an Art Ed degree, and leaves little room for additional studio electives.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited March 2009
    Betelgeuse wrote: »
    Night Dragon, after being familiar with you for quite some time, and reading posts you've made for the past several years, I have come to a conclusion.

And that conclusion is this: You need to loosen up and lighten up about basically everything. Seriously.

Metal's told me that too. I know I must, but I'm not really sure how to, to be honest! I'm usually way more calm about all these issues, but I do probably go into freak-out mode too often, when I do.

NightDragon on
    edited March 2009
    Betelgeuse wrote: »

Metal's told me that too. I know I must, but I'm not really sure how to, to be honest! I'm usually way more calm about all these issues, but I do probably go into freak-out mode too often, when I do.

Sunlight, exercise, and diaphramatic breathing.

Metalbourne on
This discussion has been closed.