As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoH/V]The Nerf Debate

2»

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I hate those warehouses but I don't really agree with the rest of it, especially not in relation to other MMOs. I see people playing WoW with a million icons on their action bar but they only use seven of their abilities. The others just aren't worth it. I think the diversity in CoX comes from mixing up power sets more than the individual powers available in a set. And I don't think you can fuck up that easily in the game but I don't PUG very often. :shrug:

Accualt on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So all this talk of fucking up your character is scaring me, since I don't like wasting my time. I basically wanted to be a katana scrapper with teleport and some defensive skills, maybe regeneration? This is using that character editor that I downloaded, so if I can't do that, the editor is shit for not telling me.
    I basically just want to teleport around cutting shit up and not be gimp. Is this viable? Where can I go to find out what works and what doesn't?
    1 more day till I can download the trial :).

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Just ignore anyone who says you can gimp your character because it is mostly bullshit now. The worst you can do is slot a power that isn't worth slotting but that is easily fixed with a respec.
    Also remember you won't want to put more than 3 of one type of enhancement on a power. So if you have a power that ONLY does ONE thing don't put more than two extra slots on it (every power gets one slot as a default).
    And yes, you can make a TPing Katana/Regen Scrapper.

Accualt on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    Just ignore anyone who says you can gimp your character because it is mostly bullshit now. The worst you can do is slot a power that isn't worth slotting but that is easily fixed with a respec.
    Also remember you won't want to put more than 3 of one type of enhancement on a power. So if you have a power that ONLY does ONE thing don't put more than two extra slots on it (every power gets one slot as a default).
    And yes, you can make a TPing Katana/Regen Scrapper.

Your whole slots thing....*passes hand over head* "wooosh"
    Got a handy faq or guide you could link? The character editor does not really help.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ok, till roughly level 40, evey even level nets you a power, right?
    Well what about odd levels? You get slots aded to your current powes (generally two at first but later 3, and you pick what powers get how many slots).

What good are these slots? In lew of armor or other "phat lewt" in this game you get enhancements which, get this, "enhance" your powers. Depending on what you put into them can make your powers more accurate, do more damage, increas the mez (sleep, slow, stun, confuse property) ability, reduce endurance (man) cost, reduce recharge time, etc...

These enhancements stack with one another and have varring percentile values (Training Origins, or TOs the basics, have roughly a 5-10% increase while Single Origin, or SOs, have a 33% average).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I suppose you could gimp your character if you did something like completely ignoring the defence set of a tanker or slotting a controller for damage but that is soley because you'd be an idiot and is in no way a failing on the games part. Hell I think it would even be quite possible to play those characters just more annoying then is entirely necessary.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Thanks guys. That makes more sense.
    Can you unslot things from your powers? I'm assuming you don't have access from SO's from the get go and have to work with TO, so when you get higher level can you empty your slots to put better enhancements in them? Is that what a respec is?

Man, this game completely passed me by and now that I've looked into it I can't believe I never noticed it before. Can't wait to try out my character idea tomorrow.
    "Teleport Slash!" :twisted:

Morninglord on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Can you unslot things from your powers? I'm assuming you don't have access from SO's from the get go and have to work with TO, so when you get higher level can you empty your slots to put better enhancements in them? Is that what a respec is?

You have to replace your enhancements several times, because each enhancement has a level, and they stop working after they are 3 levels lower than your character level. So you buy new ones, and you try to buy new ones that are 3 levels higher than you are (you can't use anything higher). You can buy Dual-Origins in the teens, and then start on Single-Origins at level 22.

You can also combine same-type enhancements of different levels, to add a level to the higher-level enhancement. This lets you use it another level, but you can only add to each enhancement twice. After than you have to replace it, or add it to a higher level enhancement.

In addition to buying enhancements, you'll get some as drops from mobs. It's hit or miss whether you'll get anything you can actually use, so think of the enhancement drops as mainly extra cash. Fighting ArchVillains/Heroes is the exception, they will always drop a +3 SO of your origin.
    Man, this game completely passed me by and now that I've looked into it I can't believe I never noticed it before. Can't wait to try out my character idea tomorrow.

Just be aware that it'll take a while to get your character to that point. Generally characters "come into their own" in the 20s, when you'll have several key powers, SOs, decent slots, and your travel power (teleport, in your case).

I must warn you, though, that teleport isn't exactly melee-friendly. It's doable, but it won't be a "smooth" action. But with a respec, you can change to another travel power if you don't like it.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited February 2007

You have to replace your enhancements several times, because each enhancement has a level, and they stop working after they are 3 levels lower than your character level. So you buy new ones, and you try to buy new ones that are 3 levels higher than you are (you can't use anything higher). You can buy Dual-Origins in the teens, and then start on Single-Origins at level 22.

You can also combine same-type enhancements of different levels, to add a level to the higher-level enhancement. This lets you use it another level, but you can only add to each enhancement twice. After than you have to replace it, or add it to a higher level enhancement.

In addition to buying enhancements, you'll get some as drops from mobs. It's hit or miss whether you'll get anything you can actually use, so think of the enhancement drops as mainly extra cash. Fighting ArchVillains/Heroes is the exception, they will always drop a +3 SO of your origin.

Just be aware that it'll take a while to get your character to that point. Generally characters "come into their own" in the 20s, when you'll have several key powers, SOs, decent slots, and your travel power (teleport, in your case).

I must warn you, though, that teleport isn't exactly melee-friendly. It's doable, but it won't be a "smooth" action. But with a respec, you can change to another travel power if you don't like it.

Ah, I get you re enhancements.
    Yeah, teleport didn't sound very smooth when I read the skill description, it sounded like it would take a lot of skill to use effectively and always be something you could get better at. I fuckin love shit like that. (I played warlock during its relatively crap phase and got really bored when deathcoil got its stupid overbuff)
    But we'll see, I also kind of like the idea of the jumping powers.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, teleport didn't sound very smooth when I read the skill description, it sounded like it would take a lot of skill to use effectively and always be something you could get better at. I fuckin love shit like that. (I played warlock during its relatively crap phase and got really bored when deathcoil got its stupid overbuff)

Teleport becomes a really easy to use power, if you use this paticular shift+left-click bind that I had. I don't have the macro for it off hand (but i'm sure someone here has it if you want it), but trust me, it's invaluable if you choose to go the teleport route.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hullabaloo wrote:

Teleport becomes a really easy to use power, if you use this paticular shift+left-click bind that I had. I don't have the macro for it off hand (but i'm sure someone here has it if you want it), but trust me, it's invaluable if you choose to go the teleport route.

Yeah, that's what I use and I highly recommend it. Also, hover is helpful if you have a spare power pick.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I always bind TP to the middle mouse button. Works wonderfully. One handed lazy ass transportation.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Teleport can also be a bit taxing on your framerate if you have a piece of crap machine like me. I wouldn't even be able to use it in villains because I lag so much villain side that I wouldn't even be able to see where im clicking to teleport. It is however the fastest travel power. You may also consider getting hover from the flight set to complement teleport if you have an extra power choice. Teleport has a few seconds of hover built in after the teleport so you can do another teleport but if you lag or are in general slow with the power you'll find yourself falling. It's nice to be able to just teleport and then be able to hover there permanetly until you want to teleport again.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    What criteria do people use in deciding how many slots to give a power, and what enchancements to put in those slots?

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Putting more than 3 SOs of one kind in a power is a waste. Attacks usually get 3 dmg, 2 acc, toggles might get 1 end redux, 3 whatever they do, single use powers like stamina and resistances will get 3 of their sort.

Scooter on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I usually do 1 Acc, 3 Damage, 1 Recharge, 1 End Redux in my attacks. End Redux in attacks saves a lot of endurance.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you don't know which travel power you like best, try the Kinetics set. Siphon Speed can act as a poor man's Super Speed, and if you do the Safeguard missions, you get the Raptor Pack for flight (before Lv. 10) and the Jump Pack for Super Jumping (Lv. 10-15). I've done this for my controller, and it's a good way to sample the travel powers. And don't forget Inertial Reduction! (Jump Party!)

I will say this, though. If you get Super Speed, see if you can fit in Super Jumping. Those two just work together so well. :)

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't think I ever got over ED halving my Scrapper's damage and cutting his resists by two-thirds.

Did they ever make Claws for Stalkers better? Aside from that one revamp Castle gave them shortly before I quit playing.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Meh, the only thing that upset me was the boost that Arachnoids got.
    When that happened, NanKnight (MA/Regen scrapper) was unable to solo Warburg.

I loved just waltzing into the Web, rescueing a scientist and then doing it 2 more times, all without needing a team.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg