As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Content patch (1.13) coming to Diablo 2.

SkabSkab Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
steam_sig.png
Skab on

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The fact that they are taking fan input for this patch is really cool. Sadly, I was browsing the first few pages of the thread and most of the ideas were pretty terrible. The only suggestion I really liked was the ability to respec.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Would be so lame if they added respecs to D2, but anything else is welcome. Plus this is really awesome of Blizzard to do.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Why would it be lame for respecs? It totally sucks to get 70+ and realize you stuck a few points in the wrong spot.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Why would it be lame for respecs? It totally sucks to get 70+ and realize you stuck a few points in the wrong spot.

Spend 5 minutes getting to level 70 again, or use a program to make your char in singleplayer to level 70 or whatever. Or, you know, plan your tree in advance like us leet members.*

Side note: Shared stash better win, because if it does... That's all I'll ever need to come back to this game. Seriously.

*we may or may not be leet.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No respecs is an outdated, old, and bad idea.

This is coming from one of the first Paladins to use the Hammerdin pre-LOD and reach 90, to flex my e-peen if we're going leet.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Seriously. It doesn't take 5 minutes to get to 70. God everytime D2 or 3 comes up the first thing said is OMG RESPECS. Followed by OMG NO RESPECS 3 seconds later.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But you did instead of not mentioning it at all, so.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

So is the guy in your avatar, but that doesn't stop you.

But seriously I've had this argument with just about everyone on PA. I'd rather not bring this shitstorm to this thread.

urahonky on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    holy fucking shit no

god dammit no

FUCK I'm going to lose another 6 months to this game

I am fucking astonished that this is actually happening

redhead on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And you did anyway.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm so confused at what just happened.

My reasons for not liking respecs are just as valid as your reasons for liking respecs. No one will ever change my mind that they are ever a good idea in a fast paced game like Diablo. And I really don't intend on changing anyone elses mind about liking them.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Would be so lame if they added respecs to D2, but anything else is welcome. Plus this is really awesome of Blizzard to do.

And then say "use the five minutes?"

I mean, the audacity of your statement is just as rude and abrasive as mine. You say it's lame, I say your way is old and busted and respecs are the new hotness.

If you want me to justify my response, I got no problem with it; but, to say that and not expect it to rub at least someone the wrong way when we've been over this a couple of threads already is beatin' that dead horse well after it's dead.

If you're not going to change your mind, and you don't like it, and everyone else does, and you're not going to say "well, I don't think it's a good idea because X, Y, Z, A, B, C, 1, 2, 3" then I don't know what you're trying to accomplish other than whining.

I mean, if that's what you wanna do, that's cool too, you know.

That's just, like, your opinion man.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Clint Eastwood is not outdated or a bad idea. He is, however, quite old; he's making/directing movies now instead of starring in them (and this is a good thing).

In my own non-anti-urahonky opinion, I think respecs are a fine idea (and I like using them in two other Diablo-like games, Guild Wars and Titan Quest). However, I would want something in Diablo II that actually revitalizes the game, like a new game mode or a new Act. The previous "content patches" added lame multiplayer-only bosses and only a handful of runewords. The patch that added synergies really changed things up, and regardless of others' opinions about synergies, I really think a new content patch should contain something as earth-shattering as that.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh, son of a bitch. There goes another few months down the endless hole that is D2.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I honestly don't give a shit if you justify your reasons for liking respecs and never said you should. I'm just saying that respecs are lame and when people bitch and whine about "putting a couple of points wrong" at level 70+ it's their own damn fault for not looking ahead with your build. And really there's no "wrong" build in Diablo 2. Everything pretty much kills everything.

Though a prayer paladin sucked while playing him... But it's not like I assumed it was going to be the best thing ever created when I started it.

Half the fun of Diablo, in my mind, was creating off-the-wall builds and going somewhere with it. At release I made a CB sorc and it was fucking fun to shoot off like 40 CBs per shot. No one else really made that, they all went the frozen orb/static field (before nerf) build. All respecs do are create more cookie cutter characters. But I guess you can't really help that anyway.

e: Lucascraft, sorry for acting like a douche to you. I realize I should have explained my position without saying something stupid, but really I was half-way kidding. If you realize, at level 70, that you messed up... Then you really should have looked up your skill tree online before putting points in. But I understand the predicament that would cause a person to want respecs. But honestly, I'd LOVE to run into that situation, because that means I get to restart my char with all the phat gear and plow through everyone again.

urahonky on
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Clint Eastwood is not outdated or a bad idea. He is, however, quite old; he's making/directing movies now instead of starring in them (and this is a good thing).

In my own non-anti-urahonky opinion, I think respecs are a fine idea (and I like using them in two other Diablo-like games, Guild Wars and Titan Quest). However, I would want something in Diablo II that actually revitalizes the game, like a new game mode or a new Act. The previous "content patches" added lame multiplayer-only bosses and only a handful of runewords. The patch that added synergies really changed things up, and regardless of others' opinions about synergies, I really think a new content patch should contain something as earth-shattering as that.

What?

I wouldn't mind seeing the difficulty on Hell scaled back a bit, at least in single-player mode.
    Respecs would be nice too, especially if they start tinkering with balance again.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Odd builds were the best... Tanking for a group as a poison dagger Necro was the most fun I had in that game.

Avenrosh on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

What?
    Oh, I'm not saying he's a terrible actor by any means. I'm saying that he has a gift as a director. I've enjoyed watching all of the films he's directed. In a way, he's continuing to age gracefully, unlike some of his peers.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Avenrosh wrote: »
    Odd builds were the best... Tanking for a group as a poison dagger Necro was the most fun I had in that game.

Melee sorcs were also awesome. Max Enchant and mana shield and yeah... go to town!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ES sorcs have retarded damage mitigation.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ES sorcs have retarded damage mitigation.

Oh absolutely. They're completely useless above Nightmare. But they're fun to play all the way there haha.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Diablo-like games, Guild Wars

How is Guild Wars anything like Diablo?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also, while I'm thinking of Diablo 2 I'd just like to say that Hardcore Mode is the most awesome thing ever!

Avenrosh on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I've seen viable builds in Hell. More than viable, in some instance.

Heavily gear dependent, though.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I've seen viable builds in Hell. More than viable, in some instance.

Heavily gear dependent, though.

I bet they are better for Hell than a frozen orb sorc... Hardly melee immune mobs there.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What do you mean by "legit."

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How many people ever hit 99 on hardcore, legit? I remember back in the first year there was one guy who came close, but he died at 93.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Christ. For a long time, I thought the only game that could kill D2 was D3.

Now I'm beginning to think this beast is immortal.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Blizzard makes some long-lasting appeal in their games, I'll tell you what.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    Christ. For a long time, I thought the only game that could kill D2 was D3.

Now I'm beginning to think this beast is immortal.

Not even death can save Diablo 3 from Diablo 2?

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Diablo-like games, Guild Wars

How is Guild Wars anything like Diablo?
    j00 maek manz and crush mobz? Functionally, they are the same game. I admit it's a rather broad definition of a Diablo-like game, but you left click on things and they die, occasionally hitting buttons when using different skills (which have energy costs and cooldowns). Diablo III is going to be very similar, from the looks of it (in terms of the "numbered belt of skills" rather than "left click/right click" skills). You also modify your equipment with Runes, and there's Red Stuff and Blue Stuff to manage (Health/Mana).

The Competitive PvP aspect of Guild Wars is the selling point, of course, and it differs from Diablo greatly in terms of competitive balance (in PvP and PvM). I played Guild Wars for a number of years, even wrote a few guides for it when I was playing. It's a much different game, but I'd say it's more like Diablo than it is like its brethren MMOs.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Blizzard makes some long-lasting appeal in their games, I'll tell you what.

Out of curiosity do you think that Diablo 2 would have made it this long with respecs? I'm not trying to be an ass, just asking I promise. :) I think that having people remake characters over and over again kept people from hitting the max level and then just sitting there. I know more than one person who has at least two paladins. One with hammers, the other with zeal... Both above level 80.

I dunno. Just throwing out things. But yeah... Blizzard knows how to keep their games alive. Must sprinkle the CDs with crack or something.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You are trying to get blood out of that stone, aren't you.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hrm...what to do... *twitch*

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You are trying to get blood out of that stone, aren't you.

Nah, I love you Zen. You're good peoples. Just asking a question. I swear it's not a loaded one.

But... I gotta go workout. So yeah, you can ignore it if you want. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It blows me away Blizzard is still chipping into this game after like....what, how old is this game? close to 10 years i think isn't it? No content patch will make me play it again but still, pretty cool of them.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yes, I think D2 would have made it this far with respecs. The number 1 reason (for me) for new character creation is because I take long breaks and my characters get deleted. Whenever I come back to the game I start over fresh because I have to. Respecs would have very little impact on the longevity for the game for me, other than being a nice tool for trying out new things.

As an example - Lets say I have a paladin that's a Zeal/Fanaticism build. Then I pop a really sweet fucking 2hand weapon and want ty try a Vengeance build. But that means I gotta make an alt and get him to appropriate level just to use the damn weapon in the first place.

In all likelihood, I will get bored with the alt and take a break from the game long before I get the character up to the right level.

Oh, and for those of you who claim that it takes "5 minutes" to get to 70 need to share your secret with me, because in my many years of experience playing Diablo, the game really slows down in the 40s. It takes forever from that point on.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Actually, for me, it slows down in the 70s when power-leveling. You get to Baal as soon as possible, then with a group of 8, kill him. You gain a few levels during that run. I'm not sure what is the cutoff point for Normal Difficulty (I think it's level 40ish), but after you reach it, you blitz to Baal in Nightmare and power level on NM Baal Runs. It takes way more than "5 minutes" to do it, but I've leveled a character to 70 in a few of days of regular play easily. That's all you'd ever see, sometimes, on B-net.

EDIT: The thing is, I don't want this anymore. Which is why I want something earthshattering and brand new with this so-called "Content Patch." Personally, I think Blizzard didn't anticipate the retro-game sales of Diablo II after their Diablo III preview, and with the resulting swell in DII numbers, they figure they should "release some content" (i.e. fix some bugs).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It'd be nice if Blizzard could patch their main game to be even half as good as Eastern Sun.

Unfortunately, I don't think they'll get around to adding an expanded stash, shared stash, tokenisers, item containers, worthwhile sets, more uniques, more runewords, item rerolling, comprehensive item customisation, skill and stat resets, a reason to put points into anything other than vitality, fully equippable mercenaries, more maps and vaguely balanced skills to their aging, soon-to-be-dead game.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Trying to communicate to people in D2 as a noob was a bit overwhelming.

Respecs would be a cool idea since this will be the last update most likely before D3.

JJ on