As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Content patch (1.13) coming to Diablo 2.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Now I'm trying to decide if I should pick this game back up at 1.13 or just hold off till D3.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    It'd be nice if Blizzard could patch their main game to be even half as good as Eastern Sun.

Unfortunately, I don't think they'll get around to adding an expanded stash, shared stash, tokenisers, item containers, worthwhile sets, more uniques, more runewords, item rerolling, comprehensive item customisation, skill and stat resets, a reason to put points into anything other than vitality, fully equippable mercenaries, more maps and vaguely balanced skills to their aging, soon-to-be-dead game.

I think Diablo 2 is definitely half as good as eastern sun plus eastern sun is pretty good but not great at least imo and I would rather play Diablo 2 lod instead of eastern sun.

Lothars on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It requires 2-3 hammerdins, someone to clear uber tristram, and some glitch rushing, but you can go from 1-80 in about an hour. However, it goes against intended design, so I wouldn't use it in the argument.

Respecs would make the game more fun in my opinion simply because of flawed game designed and hordes of balance issues. It's not so much as switching character builds at will, but making a normal/nightmare character more enjoyable to play instead of just setting them up for hell. Some classes are so gear dependent that using skills that to make a viable character in lower levels would be wasted since the weapon you found with another character can't be used until level 75 but doesn't mesh with said skills.

With that said, I would wish for an MF overall such that the Sorceress and the Hammerdin aren't the only two builds that are capable of doing MF with any kind of speed/success. I also wish they would drastically up the drop rates of the higher runes. Legit ones simply don't exist. Every single one that's floating around is duped. I played this game way too much, had scores of 90+ characters with just about every piece of equipment and the highest rune I ever saw was a vex which I saw once in two separate ladder seasons.

With that said, the patch would have to be fairly drastic to get me playing again. There are too many other games to play these days.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Three things:

1. Make some of the lower-end skills more useful later on. Like teeth. Who uses teeth? Nobody.
    2. Redo skill synergy on the original 5 characters. Paladins have the most glaring example in my mind; of all the offensive auras in a straight line below Might, about half have the same "Boosts party damage by x%" property that Might does, and all of them do it better. No synergy to make up for it. Might should be getting something. That's just one example; you get the idea.
    3. Respecs.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ES sorcs have retarded damage mitigation.

Oh God, so false. ES sorcs (except against certain mobs) have the best damage mitigation in the game, bar none. There is one little-known fact about ES that makes this happen: "damage reduced by X" and "magical damage reduced by X" bonuses are applied after ES. A level 40 energy shield (not terribly unreasonable with a good Memory staff) mitigates 95% of all incoming damage. Hell mode Lister's minions only hit for around 100. A properly-geared ES sorc can easily attain 50+ PDR/MDR, meaning she would have to be hit for 1000 damage in a single hit to lose any health whatsoever. With a maxed telekinesis, each point of damage mitigated only takes off .75 points of mana (I believe this synergy is unlisted but it's there), which is easily manageable with a high-level Warmth, Insight staff, and a godly mana pool from putting all your points in Energy instead of Vitality. Mana regenerates as X% of total mana pool per minute so the higher your mana, the faster it regenerates. Only poison and mana burn monsters can hurt a good ES sorc. Poison totally ignores ES so it's something to watch out for, and mana burn, in its bugged state, can be a nightmare. But beyond that, the ES sorc is the best tank bar none and playing a melee ES sorc in hardcore is barrels of fun.

Edit: on second thought, you might meant "retarded" as in "really, really good," in which case, modify my post to "Yes, you are correct, sir."

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The edit is the correct interpretation.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For tanking I was always a fan of the bear druid. Crank up the Werebear and its synergies and the Oak Sage for boatloads of health. Max Hunger and get a couple lifedrain items and you can regenerate so much health its obscene.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lothars wrote: »
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    It'd be nice if Blizzard could patch their main game to be even half as good as Eastern Sun.

Unfortunately, I don't think they'll get around to adding an expanded stash, shared stash, tokenisers, item containers, worthwhile sets, more uniques, more runewords, item rerolling, comprehensive item customisation, skill and stat resets, a reason to put points into anything other than vitality, fully equippable mercenaries, more maps and vaguely balanced skills to their aging, soon-to-be-dead game.

I think Diablo 2 is definitely half as good as eastern sun plus eastern sun is pretty good but not great at least imo and I would rather play Diablo 2 lod instead of eastern sun.

That was quite possibly the most contradicting scentance i've ever read in my entire life...o_O

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Then I will just slyly readdress my post to urahonky.
    urahonky wrote: »

Oh absolutely. They're completely useless above Nightmare. But they're fun to play all the way there haha.

Urahonky, wise up!

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Make the defender a viable Pally build again!

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Avenrosh wrote: »
    Odd builds were the best... Tanking for a group as a poison dagger Necro was the most fun I had in that game.

Melee sorcs were also awesome. Max Enchant and mana shield and yeah... go to town!

You forgot to include the Zeal from the Passion runeword. Enchant + zeal + crushing blow = a whole lot of asses kicked.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Reading the BNet thread, it's pretty hilarious what some people are suggesting.

"Please fix ALL hacks and ALL bugs!"
    "Add another act where you kill Tyrael!"

My favorite: "Don't change anything that would make people quit the game!"

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Avenrosh wrote: »
    Odd builds were the best... Tanking for a group as a poison dagger Necro was the most fun I had in that game.

Melee sorcs were also awesome. Max Enchant and mana shield and yeah... go to town!

You forgot to include the Zeal from the Passion runeword. Enchant + zeal + crushing blow = a whole lot of asses kicked.

You forgot the dream helm + shield and the infinity polearm on an Act 2 merc. I killed just about everything in 1 hit with that sorc. It was also fun teleporting around normal and early nightmare and having an entire screen drop dead. (Then there was that server crashing bug that let you glitch a merc to kill an entire screen and more in hell.)

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'd also like to see gems not suck when socketed- they mostly seem like a novelty except the occasional barbarian DWing 6-socketed weapons with 6 perfect skulls in each.

An easy fix would be to have them, instead of being, say, "Adds 1-2 fire damage", make it "Adds 1% of weapon's damage as fire to attacks", with each improved gem having a higher percentage.

Or make it so that if you need a short runeword and have an item with too many sockets, you can put in the runeword and fill the rest of the slots with gems to get the runeword with the added gem properties.

Arkan on
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I want to visit the Tristram Cathedral again. Open up a portal to it in Tristram after you finish the boss on each difficulty level. Make it slightly harder than the Secret Cow Level. Sixteen randomly generated floors of difficult monsters, sweet treasure and good memories. They don't even have to add any quests, though it'd be neat if they went all out and put them in. I can't imagine this would be that difficult to add in, and I'd play through the game again just to see it.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    ManDanceManDance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mmmm brings back fond memories of cow runs.

ManDance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    I'd also like to see gems not suck when socketed- they mostly seem like a novelty except the occasional barbarian DWing 6-socketed weapons with 6 perfect skulls in each.

Perfect diamonds are amazing. I had a blue pally shield I found with 4 sockets and after putting 4 perfect diamond in I had max resist all even in Hell difficulty.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LA:LA: United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just want them to do something like raise the level cap and add another difficulty. Do that, shared stash, raise the resolution, and toss in some more Ubers or something and they'll have me hooked again.

Of course, anything they do will probably have me hooked again.

LA: on
    I lurk. That's it.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Oh absolutely. They're completely useless above Nightmare. But they're fun to play all the way there haha.

Urahonky, wise up!

Oh no you don't! You take this readdressment back to Zen, thank you very much!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Urahonky, wise up!

Oh no you don't! You take this readdressment back to Zen, thank you very much!

Cannot be done, I fear. He has seen the light (a long time ago, apparently). You, however.... :x

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Don't worry. I'll start an ES sorc as soon as I get back into the game... Which may or may not be soon. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've already started downloading, but I think I'm gonna hold off playing for a while. I've got to much work to get sucked into this again...

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Don't worry. I'll start an ES sorc as soon as I get back into the game... Which may or may not be soon. :)

Start holding your breath for an Ironpelt and a 4-socket staff with +3 Energy Shield.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Start holding your breath for an Ironpelt and a 4-socket staff with +3 Energy Shield.

I got connections...*

*Unclesporky

urahonky on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Add respecs for normal people who like to play the game normally, not D2 Fans For Life who are on their hundredth play-through and plan characters from start to finish as a hobby. Disable them for Hardcore play.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I got connections...*

*Unclesporky

The best part about gearing an ES sorc is that you gear up with all the shit no one else wants. Resistances? Vitality? Small charms of vitae? Fuck that noise. How about some +mana and "damaged reduced by 5 rings?" God, yes. Throw on some damn Safety boots and go to town.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    Add respecs for normal people who like to play the game normally, not D2 Fans For Life who are on their hundredth play-through and plan characters from start to finish as a hobby. Disable them for Hardcore play.

I think this is a great idea.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Would you allow trading between the two? That would be the only way I see that actually working. Because you're effectively splitting the user base into two (hell, 4 now) if you do that.

Basically you've got:

Normal
    Normal Hardcore
    Hardcore Normal
    Hardcore Hardcore?

(Hardcore = death is permanent)

urahonky on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Would you allow trading between the two? That would be the only way I see that actually working. Because you're effectively splitting the user base into two (hell, 4 now) if you do that.

Basically you've got:

Normal
    Normal Hardcore
    Hardcore Normal
    Hardcore Hardcore?

I know what Hardcore is, that's what I'm saying. If you can make a level 70 in 5 minutes then permadeath is no big deal, right?

Zek on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Basically you've got:

Normal
    Normal Hardcore
    Hardcore Normal
    Hardcore Hardcore?

I know what Hardcore is, that's what I'm saying. If you can make a level 70 in 5 minutes then permadeath is no big deal, right?

Ah never mind. And I don't like hardcore because b.net is pretty unstable at times. Dying because of lag is much worse than dying because you're an idiot.

And yeah I can make level 70 in almost no time, but it isn't fun. But it's possible. But if I die I lose all the gear and have to get that again, which takes up more time than actually making the character to 70, honestly.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also Honky, Sporky, you two better keep that mule account alive :P I want to be rocking right out of the gate

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dixon wrote: »
    Also Honky, Sporky, you two better keep that mule account alive :P I want to be rocking right out of the gate

Haha, you know we will.

urahonky on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I got connections...*

*Unclesporky

wait what, what are you implying

oh by the way last time we wrapped up playing Dixon gave me his account and I robbed him of all his precious treasures and then I didn't log in to either account for half a year, so there you go

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was implying that you are a loot machine. Every time I got online you would have an entire stash full of awesome goodies.

urahonky on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No way, I always relied on others. I mean I guess I was just good at saving up pgems and trading on diabloii.net...

The full Trang Oul's set, Homunculous, Arm of King Leoric, Shako, Gheed's Fortune, Annihilus, and Necro Torch...I bought it all twice, and lost it all twice. Sigh.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Just gives you a reason to get back into it!

urahonky on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Why would it be lame for respecs? It totally sucks to get 70+ and realize you stuck a few points in the wrong spot.

Spend 5 minutes getting to level 70 again, or use a program to make your char in singleplayer to level 70 or whatever. Or, you know, plan your tree in advance like us leet members.*

Side note: Shared stash better win, because if it does... That's all I'll ever need to come back to this game. Seriously.

*we may or may not be leet.

please tell me how to get to 70 in 5 minutes (or an hour even) without a file editing program. i must be playing this game wrong if that's possible.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ladder characters are already separate from normal B.net play. It's not like they haven't balkanized the userbase already. If they make respecs for non-Ladder characters, but limit/remove it on the Ladder, I wouldn't mind at all. The point of Ladder characters is the whole e-peen thing, and respecs remove part of the appeal (E-peener: "I made it all the way to 99 with this character on the Ladder within X time, with no respecs, fully planned out").

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm surprised at the lack of... well... surprise! I mean Blizzard is a pretty great dev, but providing content to a game this old is crazy!

donhonk on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I know, eh?

Shared stash would be great, because that would mean that if it was implemented, that it would mean we wouldn't have the risk of losing stuff when transferring items to new/other characters.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz