As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, I ran over my laptop.... [ Question about LCD's screens replacements]

warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are?Registered User regular
With my car.....

And the only two parts that managed to get damaged where the LCD screen and 250 gig Sata hard disk. Rest of the motherboard power supply is fine. And by fine I have realized how solid an Acer Aspire 5920 actually is.

Sata Hard disk should be easy enough to replace as it was only a 250 gig model I figure so I have no worry's with that.

Screen is another thing all together.. I have an Acer Aspire 5920. My question is one of compatibility...

Does anyone know how interchange different Acer LCD screens are? I have an older ACER laptop with exactly the same size height and width.

Would it work as a replacement?

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
warban on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    You ran over it with your car? How does that even happen?

Also, what model is the older laptop with the same size screen? Is it in the same series as the one you ran over?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you can take apart the old laptop and see if the connections and all are the same, you could at least try it.

Depending on the model screen you need, screencountry.com (found while googling) sells replacements for $75. Screenaid.com sells them for $99. A bunch to choose from though, so you probably need to figure out what exactly was in your model.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's actually not too difficult of an install if you're worried about that. My dad has had to do some major hardware installs on almost every laptop he's ever owned, and none of them have been that complicated. As long as you're comfortable with working on computers, it should be easy for you if you have the right screen to install.

As for the screens being compatible, there's always a chance, but the only way you'll find out is by asking on a laptop modder/repair forum or by taking it apart yourself. If the connectors are the same and it fits, go for it.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I still want an answer as to how you ended up running over your laptop

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    warban wrote: »
    With my car.....
    I'm sorry, but would you hate me if I said that that is kind of awesome?

Like the time I tripped and sent a full-sized Compaq desktop PC bouncing and crashing down an entire flight of stairs, and it worked perfectly afterward.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I still want an answer as to how you ended up running over your laptop

That parts not that exciting. Basically I put it next to the back tire. Realized I needed to get something from inside, Hopped in the car and didn't realize the laptop was not in the car until it was too late. It was in the laptop bag at the time so maybe it took some of the impact.

Also, what model is the older laptop with the same size screen? Is it in the same series as the one you ran over?

Different series model, Same dimensions though. I'm Going to have to open both laptops and check i think.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Why on earth would you ever set your laptop down outside and not just put it in the car, let alone next to a vehicle tire? This whole thing just boggles my mind. Also, how did it go from next to the tire to underneath it?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Why on earth would you ever set your laptop down outside and not just put it in the car, let alone next to a vehicle tire? This whole thing just boggles my mind. Also, how did it go from next to the tire to underneath it?

Reversed out, Only the front tire went over it. It was next to the back tire. The full situation is complete fail and I don't really have an excuse for this degree of failure.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    Sgt EversmanSgt Eversman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't really have an excuse for this degree of failure.

No, you certainly don't.

I've replaced lcd screens before, you can usually find them floating around on ebay. It's not as difficult as it would seem as long as you don't mind tearing your warranty to shreds.

Sgt Eversman on
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Update: The Old Acer laptop screen works. Hurray.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Update: The Old Acer laptop screen works. Hurray.

I demand pics.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nothing to see, You cannot tell its been run over fortunately.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    now you just have to hope there aren't any microfractures on the motherboard, which may take time to cause problems

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I got the mental image of a man carefully placing a laptop directly under the back tire thinking to himself "my costly electronic good is perfectly safe under this hardened rubber"

MrDelish on