As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Green Tortoise 2009: Sorry for missing you all.

• Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well I could be drinking it up this weekend, or last weekend, or any weekend over the last 5 years (6 if I wanted to make the hop over to Quebec).

Asiina on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes, let's all mock how Aydr isn't 21 yet. Of course, Aydr can also hop over a border.

And yeah. That's also true. This way the pub crawl is a viable option. I was just pumped because turning 21 at PAX was an uncharacteristic stroke of luck... meaning I should have assumed it wasn't actually going to happen. But I can have just as much fun anyway.

Aydr on
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow! I was thinking of hitting up a place downtown this year instead of going home, but the hotels sounded too expensive. This, however, sounds excellent.

Does it cost more if you reserve individually?

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have not been able to meet with the folks over at GT. I came down with food poisoning this week and just could not do it. Next week, though, I should be able to get plans worked out.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    ULTRAMURDERSAMULTRAMURDERSAM Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    if i were to reserve a room with my credit card on their site but cant go and cancel and all that, i wont get charged, correct? just making sure what im reading on their site is correct

ULTRAMURDERSAM on
    I HAVE BEEN BITTEN BY THE PARTY ANIMAL
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    AFAIK that is correct.

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    if i were to reserve a room with my credit card on their site but cant go and cancel and all that, i wont get charged, correct? just making sure what im reading on their site is correct

Yup. The card is not charged until your stay. You can just call to cancel/chnage the rez no problem.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Big update: I just got home from me meeting with the GT management. Within a month or 2 they will be implementing a new reservation system to allow us to be grouped together this year. Please hold off on making any more reservations until than. Not only will be get PAX grouping, we will be able to get a group rate and therefor a discount each night. For those who already made reservations, make sure you call in after the new system is in place so you can get the PAX rate on your room and be grouped with other PAX attendees.

A word on the planned party. Last year they ended up spending more money than planned so this year we have a solid budget of $150 towards beer and whatnot. The rest will be left up to us to collect. I am thinking of going with another 2 kegs of a local microbrew. If anyone has suggestions, I am open to them. I think a fun theme for the party would be in order as well. Also, we are going to be able to get an entire corner of the common area for gaming and whatnot. I am envisioning a videogame themed party with beer, liquor, and a gaming corner. With my new 32in HD TV, Wii and 360 we should have quite a good time. I even am hoping to be able to pick up the latest Rockband beforehand.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He leads us from jail. Well done, sir.

Blain on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Blain wrote: »

When I get unjailed I will edit the OP with the new info and throw up a donation link. I am in 'till march so it will be a little while from now, but we will still have plenty of time.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is a tough choice. I go to my hotel room multiple times a day, so this year I'd like to go to the hilton. But the prices at GT are soooo nice. As is the party atmosphere.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    cafeganeshacafeganesha Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I booked a private 8-bed room at the GT which might get filled up with my friends who are coming this year =) However, if we end up having any empty beds in our room, a month or so before PAX I'll see if any forumers want to stay with us... then we don't have to pay extra for beds we don't use, and we can get more PAXers in the GT in the super likely event that it's totally booked up by then. Apparently at this time their policy is that I can't just un-reserve free beds in a private room =[ But anyway, I love this place and even if I had the money for a fancy hotel, I would still stay here for sure.

I'll call back in once they've set up the discounts, I hope they'll let me in on that even though I've booked a private room ; ;

cafeganesha on
    @cafeganesha on PAX Twitter
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    That_Guy wrote: »

When I get unjailed I will edit the OP with the new info and throw up a donation link. I am in 'till march so it will be a little while from now, but we will still have plenty of time.

You know, if it's necessary, I can edit the OP for you, right?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Minor update: So last year we didn't have Rock Band until some brave soul took a hella long cab ride to go buy it. To avoid it this year I planned to pick up RB2 to bring with me. I saw it at Freddie's for $189 this weekend so I thought I would pick it up. That means that this year I will be bringing it with me.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anything new with this? Since it's looking like this is where I'm going to be staying this year.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am still waiting to hear on the discounts. I will call over at the end of the week to see if everything has been set up.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Excellent! I'm waiting on this too. I think I've decided to stay there for sure. I'm so excited!

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Big update: I just got home from me meeting with the GT management. Within a month or 2 they will be implementing a new reservation system to allow us to be grouped together this year. Please hold off on making any more reservations until than. Not only will be get PAX grouping, we will be able to get a group rate and therefor a discount each night. For those who already made reservations, make sure you call in after the new system is in place so you can get the PAX rate on your room and be grouped with other PAX attendees.

A word on the planned party. Last year they ended up spending more money than planned so this year we have a solid budget of $150 towards beer and whatnot. The rest will be left up to us to collect. I am thinking of going with another 2 kegs of a local microbrew. If anyone has suggestions, I am open to them. I think a fun theme for the party would be in order as well. Also, we are going to be able to get an entire corner of the common area for gaming and whatnot. I am envisioning a videogame themed party with beer, liquor, and a gaming corner. With my new 32in HD TV, Wii and 360 we should have quite a good time. I even am hoping to be able to pick up the latest Rockband beforehand.

Count me in. And maybe +1 or +5.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    X3R0 9X3R0 9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I stayed at the Sheraton last year and that was a little hectic trying to get cash from everybody. This year I'm going to stay here so that I don't have to worry about who's paid. Less stress, more fun for PAX 09!

X3R0 9 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Any news yet on PAX accommodations?

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm assuming that under-21s can get rooms at the GT, but will they be allowed into the party as long as they abstain from drinking?

MoreGrease on
    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
  • Options
    cafeganeshacafeganesha Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MoreGrease wrote: »
    I'm assuming that under-21s can get rooms at the GT, but will they be allowed into the party as long as they abstain from drinking?

Yep, should be fine.

cafeganesha on
    @cafeganesha on PAX Twitter
  • Options
    tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This may be a dumb question but I've never stayed in a hostel before so I'm gonna ask it. How safe is luggage during the day? Are their lockers or do you just go on faith nothing will be taken? Not that I'm assuming you lot are gonna steal my precious pikachu slippers, but I'm rather confused as to the setup of the hostel.

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If memory serves correctly, I think somebody said something about there being footlockers.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2009
    There are wooden compartments under the beds you can padlock.

Blain on
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It'd be awesome to hang out with you guys, but my mom is way too worried and paranoid, even though this is my 2nd year and I am 17...

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    S2000Gan wrote: »
    It'd be awesome to hang out with you guys, but my mom is way too worried and paranoid, even though this is my 2nd year and I am 17...

Bring your mom
    :winky:

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Haha right.

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am going to try to stop by GT today after work to get some more details.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    makesfivemakesfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I know that it's not gonna be super fancy or anything, but how clean is the place? Silly girly thing to ask I know, but I'm trying to figure out if the low price is worth it or not.

makesfive on
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's a pretty clean place. They maintain it well.

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    makesfivemakesfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cool, thanks!

makesfive on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So having money being really really tight this year, anybody who stayed last year, what's up with the free meals?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »
    So having money being really really tight this year, anybody who stayed last year, what's up with the free meals?

Not sure about the free meals at the Green Tortoise, BUT... One year I bought a loaf of bread at Pike and some stuff to put on it. It was around $5-6 total, the loaf of bread was huge, and it lasted for around a day/two.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    In the mornings they had fruit (apples and bananas), brownies, and make your own waffles. I think they had make your own toast and eggs in the kitchen, as well, but I was always in too much of a hurry.

I also generally wasn't around for the dinners, but the one I was around for (Sunday night) was pasta, salad, and bread. There might have been some cooked veggies, too. I forget. Also, they don't have dinners every night so you will need to do some SergeantAuberie style improvising.

I'm try to buy some kind of snack (trail mix, M&Ms, bread) to keep in my footlocker because by the time PAX lets out, almost every place you can buy food is closed.

Blain on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    In the mornings they had fruit (apples and bananas), brownies, and make your own waffles. I think they had make your own toast and eggs in the kitchen, as well, but I was always in too much of a hurry.

I also generally wasn't around for the dinners, but the one I was around for (Sunday night) was pasta, salad, and bread. There might have been some cooked veggies, too. I forget. Also, they don't have dinners every night so you will need to do some SergeantAuberie style improvising.

I'm try to buy some kind of snack (trail mix, M&Ms, bread) to keep in my footlocker because by the time PAX lets out, almost every place you can buy food is closed.

Ok, that's what I was wanting to hear.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »

Ok, that's what I was wanting to hear.

And you could always find like-minded individuals, hit up Pike, and have one person buy bread, one person buy cheese, etc. for shared sandwiches. Or eat at Subway and get a $5 footlong and save half for later. Or eat at the crepe place b/c that was pretty well priced as well. I'm up for finding low-price food options.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So uh. That Guy suggested waiting to make a reservation. But I'm thinking if we wait much longer, all the spaces wil be taken.

Suggestions?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Maybe you should send him a PM and ask what's up.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    So uh. That Guy suggested waiting to make a reservation. But I'm thinking if we wait much longer, all the spaces wil be taken.

Suggestions?

They are going to have more than enough space. Last year we were less than 1/4th of the total number of people there. Coleen, the manager at GT, assured me we would have no problem getting beds. I need to remember to walk over there today after work and check to see if we can start calling. Someone remind me.

That_Guy on
This discussion has been closed.