As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Making Itunes controllable ingame

SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
Is such a thing possible? It seems idiotic that this isn't easily doable, but there doesn't seem to be a plugin that'll do it.

I'm trying to use My own music instead of SoTs while I'm replaying, but the dialogue of those games is half of the fun, so I want to be able to pause. However, hotkeys don't seem to work. Any way of making this damn thing listen while ingame? Trying it on a pc, by the way.

SilkyNumNuts on

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thought: If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, couldn't you download Apple's remote application and control iTunes that way? don't know if that's available to you or not.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Buy a keyboard with Media Controls on it like most have.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a Logitec Wireless Keyboard and Mouse... the keyboard has buttons for music that work great while i am in game. The buttons included are next, last, shuffle, play/pause, and open default music program.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Get a keyboard with media controls.

Or

Play in windowed mode.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Macs allow for iTunes control in-game!

<.<

Henroid on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Macs allow for iTunes control in-game!

<.<

Yeah but listening to music while playing Solitaire Full Screen is kind of a buzz kill you know... ;)

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Download Foobar, the music player. It has the option to make Global Hotkeys, so that pushing them in any application controls Foobar without switching to it. I use it when I do artwork or write on the computer so I don't have to keep switching back and forth - I have f9 and f10 set to next and previous track so I can just put playlists on shuffle and skip through them.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have a dell laptop, it has media buttons that only work for the currently selected window, I'll try foobar.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Foobar does not work. I'm guessing it's impossible then

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Foobar the program does not work or the Global hotkeys don't? They aren't set up by default, you have to assign them. Go to the Preferences menu and Keyboard Shortcuts, and find play and pause and make them global and assign them to keys you don't use in game.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No, I set them as global hotkeys, but it doesn't listen while the game is running.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hmm I'd like this as well, but I'd prefer a more elegant solution than switching Media Players. That's probably too much to ask for though.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Certain games will block hotkeys due to cheat prevention stuff trying to block macros and such. I know at least one MMO did it...LotRO maybe? But yeah, no way around it as far as I know.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    yeah, I think it just takes over everything. Whhy Sands of time feels teh need to do this I have no idea.

Thanks for the help guys.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    coffeebeancoffeebean Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    Hi,

I coded beantunes for precisely this reason. It will work in all games and has customizable keys... I hope this doesn't count as advertising because it is freeware... I dare say it might be worth a try. :winky:

http://beantunes.pwner.org

coffeebean on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    coffeebean wrote: »
    Hi,

I coded beantunes for precisely this reason. It will work in all games and has customizable keys... I hope this doesn't count as advertising because it is freeware... I dare say it might be worth a try. :winky:

http://beantunes.pwner.org

Uh I dunno, but it doesn't work for me. When I click the "press a key" boxes and enter a key, it just adds the key I pressed to the text. Like it'll say "press a k]ey". If I remove all the text and enter just one letter it doesn't work either. I'm running Vista, and I tried running it in admin mode, to no avail.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Okay, sorry about that, it works fine in xp as confirmed by a bunch of people, and it is beta for a reason though.. 8-)

coffeebean on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    beanTunes should now work on Vista (fingers crossed), if people are still interested in giving the 1.4b a go: http://beantunes.pwner.org

coffeebean on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I know this isn't too helpful, but I used to have two computers hooked up to the same monitor for this very purpose. The music dedicated PC didn't need to be completely awesome because all it did was play music (and occasionally load up GameFAQs if I didn't want to exit a game to do so).

You could get an old computer on the order of a couple hundred bucks for this purpose, and a VGA splitter for $20 or so.

joshofalltrades on