As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Would you play D&D in the Meydenbauer garage?

2»

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Okay, okay, realistically... is this garage an "open air" garage, or one of those completely closed in ones? If it's open air, we can throw those CO2 worries right out the window. Puh-lease.

If it's closed in (like underground or something), then CO2 MIGHT be an issue... but I'd imagine that they would have to ventilate the place pretty darn well anyways, or people would start suffocating on the way to the exits when they go to park their car. In short, I can't see it being so poorly ventilated that anyone would be in danger.

Besides, I'm a level 20 paladin. If someone gets hurt, I'll lay on hands. ;P lol =) Oh God, someone shoot me... ;)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2005
    You guys should contact Turbine (the company developing D&D:Online) - maybe they'd be up for sending someone/something (demo?) to PAX?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Some people work at garages all day, every day, I think you can make it for a whole day.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Given that I am finding myself with large amounts of difficulty in getting a credit card with which to pre-register and the D&D things I have been looking so forward to have filled up...yeah, I vote yes. Yes, yes yes. YES! >_>

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2005
    Does this place have a basement? Cuz, ya know, that might be more appropriate...heh. I mean, it may not be musty like our parents' basements, but you can avoid the CO exposure.

RADON. Look into it.

We play D&D in the gazeebo. Only have to worry about the occasional wandering adventuring party attacking.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Gazebo much safer than the dungeon...there are Grues down there....

No, I have no constructive input. Other than a quick inspection would allow legal use of the parking garage as a gathering place with permits and all, thus avoiding the whole fine and shut down thing. Both CO and radon are legitimate concerns, both heavier than air and both would pool in the lowest level of the garage even with air exchangers. Radon is a slow-acting toxin, though, so CO is your biggest concern. Rent some temporary blowers to augment the air exchangers? I dunno. Sounds like a blast either way.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    I don't really care about this, since I'm probably not even attending, but just to set a few things straight: The Meydenbauer center parking garage is underground, so temperature and wind won't be a concern (underground garages tend to get warmer as you go down). As several people have mentioned, fumes are not really an issue as it is a modern facility and has good air circulation. You should, however, probably check with the facilities people first to see if they'd even allow something like this.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    NomakenNomaken Registered User new member
    edited April 2005
    *imagines the news report of 2000 gassed nerds in the basement of a parking garage*

On one hand you get an interesting environment to D&D in, on the other hand, SOMEBODY is making it into the Darwin awards and the 6 o'clock news. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Nomaken on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Does the garage contain a roof level or anything like that? While playing a garage might not sound appealing playing on the roof doeosnt have too many issues.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    I have actually been at a convention where we used the parking garage as convention space. It was dirty and it did smell funny and yes we had to deal with a few outside people wondering what we were all doing in a sectioned off portion of the parking garage. However...it worked. The hotel staff had set up all the tables and chairs we needed and even had a guy out there with one of those portable snack carts that are usually found in the hotel hallways. It was actualy pretty cool.

just my $0.03

Unknown User on
  • Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Does the garage contain a roof level or anything like that? While playing a garage might not sound appealing playing on the roof doeosnt have too many issues.

Do they make waterproof D&D books?

Xieflow on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Parking garages have near-toxic levels of carbon momoxide. Parking garage ventillators and air quality regulations for them are not estimated for people spending four hours in them. You probably should not subject anyone to that serious health risk. People with asthma are especially at risk.

-Jon

Unknown User on
  • Options
    KaedisKaedis Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Gabe wrote:We are not going to make people play D&D in the garage.

Isn't this a moot thread?

Yup.
    But hey, who doesn't like to beat a dead horse, repeatedly, for hours...and hours...and...

Kaedis on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2005
    jdarksun wrote:
    Gabe wrote:
    We are not going to make people play D&D in the garage.
    Isn't this a moot thread?

you guys got served

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    DanjaDanja Registered User new member
    edited April 2005
    Um, i actually play D&D in my garage, so I think it's a good idea. (we don't actually put our cars into the garage, it's been semi-converted into a normal room.

Danja on
    www.danjasden.com
    An oilslick of opinion in an ocean of information.
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7956

Here's a sweet rig. Maybe it'll fit in the garage.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Mike FehlauerMike Fehlauer Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    jdarksun wrote:
    /casts "Raise Dead" on horse_01_(dead)

Don't we still need more space for D&D?

(the garage was a fine idea.)

It'd be good to have more space. The tabletop room is = in size to the console room but it'd be nice to have even more space. The demand is certainly there. As Gabe posted, the garage option was eliminated upon further review so we're exploring other options. Like a giant pavilion in an adjacent outdoor parking lot.

One thing to remember is that the hotel will be lousy with D&D games. So you could go to PAX to check out the exhibit hall, play in freeplay and tournaments and whatnot, then roll the d20 back at the hotel at night.

-Mike

Mike Fehlauer on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    So the other thing you guys have to remember is that the Living Greyhawk will be at Dragonflight, which is at the Sheraton hotel just down the way from PAX. Right now the local LG people aren't planning on supporting PAX for LG and probably not for RPGA games AFAIK.

Denise

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SnowGhostSnowGhost Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    If this year is anything like 04, we'll be treated to fair weather... and I'd rather fucking die of carbon monoxide poisoning than spend more than five consecutive minutes in direct sunlight.
    Kaedis wrote:
    who doesn't like to beat a dead horse, repeatedly, for hours...and hours...and...
    *fap fap fap*

SnowGhost on
  • Options
    RedBeastMageRedBeastMage Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    I just wanna play DnD. I don't care where I have to play. I want to have some bitchin lvl 20 duels. God help me if my d20's go unused.[/i]

RedBeastMage on
    I swear, I'm retiring from any game with the word 'Revolution" in the title. I must be the only person who breathed a sigh of relief at not being called for the Omegathon this year.