As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dailyshow/Colbert Report: "Where Roe V Wade is two ways to get across a river."

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    That CPAC footage is, um, unpleasant.

but it gave us the Two and a Half Men picture

which was pure genius

nexuscrawler on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    We learned about the 3 branches in social studies. Never heard it called civics or anything.

Our civics class was called Illinois Constitution and United States Constitution or something similar. Had to pass it in order to graduate from HS, but it was exceptionally easy. It's kind of pathetic to find out that they were far more rigorous than half the country even bothers to teach.

moniker on
  • ShyftedShyfted Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    We learned about the 3 branches in social studies. Never heard it called civics or anything.

I don't remember having any social studies classes in high school, but I do remember having them in grade school. It was barely about the US as it covered more ancient and European history. Even the history classes I had in high school were basically just a crash course on shit that went down over decades while focusing the Civil War and WW1 and WW2. I don't think I ever actually had a single class dedicated to actually teaching how our government works.

edit: I do know the 3 branches, but from classes I had it was basically just "oh, this is part of that branch" and they do "X". It was never anything more in depth than something like "the President is part of the executive branch".

Shyfted on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would like to point out that "computer" mislabeled the colors of the presidents' ties.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I would like to point out that "computer" mislabeled the colors of the presidents' ties.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

moniker on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I had a decent required HS social studies class, which is ironic, because it was a Miami-Dade public school.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

We definitely did this as well, but we had a state-mandated civics-type test we had to pass in both 8th and 10th grade, IIRC.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited March 2009

We definitely did this as well, but we had a state-mandated civics-type test we had to pass in both 8th and 10th grade, IIRC.

I think it was 8th and 11th for Illinois, but same. I am quite literally flabbergasted that this isn't the case in every other state. I don't even want to try to find a list of the ones which don't require it as it will just make me sad.

moniker on
  • LythanLythan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    At my high school in Illinois, we had a year of US history, a year of world history, and senior year we had to have a semester of US government. It was decent for a high school class, mostly focusing on learning all about the 3 branches.

Of course, then I decided to take State Govt and American Govt as filler classes in college and I learned more things there than any of my required classes for something completely different.

Lythan on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Michigan has a pretty easy government requirement, or it was at my high school. Though they started offering AP Government the year after I took that test just for the hell of it.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And it looks like Colbert has already unseated Xenu on the suggestion list. Good job, fanbase.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm torn. I like Serenity and think it is a great name for the node and fits their theme.

BUT I also love that Colbert is able to mobilize his fanbase to do whatever he wants.

So far I've voted once for each =P.

Tomanta on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I'm torn. I like Serenity and think it is a great name for the node and fits their theme.

BUT I also love that Colbert is able to mobilize his fanbase to do whatever he wants.

You can do that?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    We didn't have a civics test but we learned it a couple times in social studies and there was a civics (or more accurately "Government") class available in HS. I think most HS graduates in my state would still know the 3 branches and such.

Civics test I missed #17 but got the rest without needing a course in HS.
    I said 34 when it should have been 38 I was thinking 2/3

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

You can do that?

He doesn't have that many fans. Why do you think he wins every vote based on numbers of people? Just check out the colbertnation forums and you'll find a link to a voting macro in about 5min I bet.

As for MI civic's classes, we had to do a 18 page term paper in our US Gov't class, which passing both the class, and the paper, were required to graduate.

Burtletoy on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    "Its all fun and games, till someone has herpes."

I don't know how that local news anchor pulled off that take without laughing their ass off.

Professionalism.

Professionalism would have precluded the use of the line completely.

Raynaga on
    edited March 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

You can do that?

Can vote once a day, apparently.

Tomanta on
    edited March 2009

Meh, Colbert has birds, buildings, aquatic creatures, all kinds of things named after him at this point. Serenity/Firefly doesn't.

He can stand to not get one for once.

Raynaga on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Read several reviews. Seeing movie this weekend. Cautiously optimistic

Joolander on
    edited March 2009
    Joolander wrote: »
    Read several reviews. Seeing movie this weekend. Cautiously optimistic

Wrong thread?

Raynaga on
    edited March 2009
    yes wrong thread

whoops

Joolander on
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    NASA actually has real people doing their Twitter feeds -- I found one of their updates this morning rather amusing:
    You still have time to enter your favorite ISS mode name http://tr.im/h0sO. Remember, these are suggestions and not decided by popular vote.
    You can practically hear the "YOUR PLEADING IS IN VAIN, COLBERT."

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    We didn't have a civics test but we learned it a couple times in social studies and there was a civics (or more accurately "Government") class available in HS. I think most HS graduates in my state would still know the 3 branches and such.

Civics test I missed #17 but got the rest without needing a course in HS.
    I said 34 when it should have been 38 I was thinking 2/3

That test is entirely too focused on preambles. Booo.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm glad. This way Colbert can win the vote but Serenity will still be the choice. It will also offer Colbert a short segment.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When I voted Serenity was easily beating all the other real choices. Like, it had over 80%. Didn't take long for Colbert to hit the top of the suggestions list though.

I think they should compromise and call it Serenity Colbert. Or Colbert's Serenity.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited March 2009
    I'm not sure which of tonight's two (non-interview) Daily Show segments I like more...

Tomanta on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thank god Jon finally commented on the "OMG DOW IS DOWN, OBAMA SUCKS!!!!" angle.

I'd like to see Hannity talk his way out of Regan seeing the same treatment. It'd be a popcorn moment.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The stock market / world events segment was hilarious.

TubularLuggage on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love that the Doom Bunker graphic ends with two dudes making out...

oldmanken on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    Hahaha.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Werewolf Congress Ahahaha.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
    edited March 2009
    Screw the two TDS segments, this is my highlight of the night.

DECEPTICONS!

Tomanta on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The funny thing is that the Doom Bunker has the same amount of credibility as Glen Beck's dumbass War Room.

"Soybeans are money!"

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't think I have ever laughed this much at a Colbert episode. Awesome!

oldmanken on
    edited March 2009
    Things I never thought I would hear a retired Colonel say: "We would never shoot nuclear weapons at Decepticons."

Tomanta on
    edited March 2009
    ROFLL!!

we do not fire nuclear weapons at decepticons.... its just not done

Joolander on
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not sure if the Colonel didn't realize he was on a comedy show, or if his continued denial of everything was a running joke.

Moore was an awesome foil for Colbert in that segment.

Magell on
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Holy crap, I was in an English class based around this guy's book!

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
    edited March 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    When I voted Serenity was easily beating all the other real choices. Like, it had over 80%. Didn't take long for Colbert to hit the top of the suggestions list though.

I think they should compromise and call it Serenity Colbert. Or Colbert's Serenity.

Again, Colbert has a shitload of things named after him. I understand that his act requires him to be an egomaniacal black hole, but things have a line. He doesn't need this one.

Raynaga on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Again, Colbert has a shitload of things named after him. I understand that his act requires him to be an egomaniacal black hole, but things have a line. He doesn't need this one.

Yes he does. The more he gets, the more overblown his persona can get.

I say it should be Colbert Serenity.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
This discussion has been closed.